1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
No you csn use hand signals.....

·
Registered
567 Posts
Many custom bikes don't have turn signals and may have ape hangers for bars...they feel that making a bike "street legal" limits their creativity and adds a "junk feature" to their design...Just watch an episode or two of "American Choppers" when they do a production or a bike as a "give-away" and a show bike....when was the last time you saw them put a place on a bike for license plates...?

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
No you csn use hand signals.....
Hand signals have become illegal in most states...must have operable electric ones now.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hand signals have become illegal in most states...must have operable electric ones now.

Can you link your source for this information? Its been along time since I last found things stating they were legal or not. Thank you

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
Can you link your source for this information? Its been along time since I last found things stating they were legal or not. Thank you
I don't know where to go for the written word on this, but I have been told that motor vehicles must have and use electrical signals. It's OK for bicyclists to hand signal, of course. Wish I could be more helpful. Maybe going into the National Motorists Association's web site would help.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Your state's DMV should have a website, and there it will outlne equipment requirements for all vehicles, including motorcycles. I know in my stae, they clearly dictate that you must have a headlight, taillight, brakelight, turn signals and a horn.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
California requires turn signals. I know because I asked a CHP that was visiting the shop while I was doing some stuff to Porti.

V C Section 24951 Turn Signal System

Turn Signal System

24951. (a) Any vehicle may be equipped with a lamp-type turn signal system capable of clearly indicating any intention to turn either to the right or to the left.
(b) The following vehicles shall be equipped with a lamp-type turn signal system meeting the requirements of this chapter.
(1) Motor trucks, truck tractors, buses and passenger vehicles, other than motorcycles, manufactured and first registered on or after January 1, 1958.
(2) Trailers and semitrailers manufactured and first registered between December 31, 1957, and January 1, 1969, having a gross weight of 6,000 pounds or more.
(3) Trailers and semitrailers 80 or more inches in width manufactured on or after January 1, 1969.
(4) Motorcycles manufactured and first registered on or after January 1, 1973, except motor-driven cycles whose speed attainable in one mile is 30 miles per hour or less.
The requirements of this subdivision shall not apply to special mobile equipment, or auxiliary dollies.
(c) Turn signal lamps on vehicles manufactured on or after January 1, 1969, shall be mounted not lower than 15 inches.

Amended Ch. 475, Stats. 1975. Effective January 1, 1976.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts