Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today A few friends of mine and I rode up to New Glarus Wisconsin. from The Quad Cities/Davenport Iowa. Anyway. We took a really sweeping turning road just outside of Savanna Illinois. For some reason my 06 Jackpot would turn on a dime at higher speeds but turning left I felt really uncomfortable. Had to get out of the throttle allot. Felt like it wanted to pop back up straight from the lean. Is this a normal thing. I haven't experienced this. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
526 Posts
It's probably the crappy stock Dunlop. Ditch it for a Metzler. Night and day difference. I find the Dunlop too flat, the Metz is more rounded for better handling.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yep just what Robb says. Ditch the dunlop tire and it will handle so much better. Metzler ME 880 is the tire you want. Stock wheel use the 260/40/18 and you will have no clearance issues. Just did mine and love how you can stay in the gas cornering and it DOESNT want to stand up on you like the dunlop does.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I only notice this occasionally with stock tires on my '08 and it's also to the left. I never get that hairy kind of feeling though as I find overall the bike is pretty nimble for a big bike with a fat rear tire. Don't get me wrong though, when I take out my Honda Shadow 1100, it's got a 180 rear tire and it feels so nimble and like its on rails compared to the Jackpot.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I only notice this occasionally with stock tires on my '08 and it's also to the left. I never get that hairy kind of feeling though as I find overall the bike is pretty nimble for a big bike with a fat rear tire. Don't get me wrong though, when I take out my Honda Shadow 1100, it's got a 180 rear tire and it feels so nimble and like its on rails compared to the Jackpot.
Change to the ME 880 and you will fell how much better the bike can handle. Its a night to day difference. Also the feeling of it wanting to stand up more when turnin to the left while on the gas is do to it being a right side drive bike. The inertia and torque of your belt wants to straighten the bike back up. With the more rounded profile of the metzler it isnt near a noticable.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'll keep that in mind for when the stock tires die out. I have the Metzler ME 880's on my Shadow, since the stock Dunlops on that were garbage. Best bike tires ever.

I notice the size of the tire you mentioned is 10mm wider than stock. I'm sure that'll put my speedo off a bit, which is of little concern to me. Should I be concerned with additional wear on my pullies and belt drive system as a result though?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'll keep that in mind for when the stock tires die out. I have the Metzler ME 880's on my Shadow, since the stock Dunlops on that were garbage. Best bike tires ever.

I notice the size of the tire you mentioned is 10mm wider than stock. I'm sure that'll put my speedo off a bit, which is of little concern to me. Should I be concerned with additional wear on my pullies and belt drive system as a result though?
Nope no worries on additional wear. The tire really isnt any bigger then the 250. 10mm is nothing at all really. As for your speedo being off, the 260mm is the width of the tire. A wider tire will not mess with your speedo. Only if you go with a different side wall height ( the number 40 in the tire size) will your speedo change. The reason i say get the 260 is because metzler doesnt make a 250. They make a 260 and a 280 that will fit the jack pot. If your sticking with your stock 8" wide rim i dont recommend running the 280. It requires a 10" wide rim. Although a few people on here are running a 280 on a stock rim with no problems i would still not recommend it since the 8" rim will not let the 280 tires bead to seat all the way the way it should. Plus with the 280 you need to relocate the wire harness under the fender off to the left side of the bike so it doesnt rub it. The 260 is a drop in tire. Nothing has to be changed and it will handle much better.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
just for the heck of it how did you get from savanna
to new glarus.north backroads to elizabeth and up?
thats some nice curvy roads north. not bumpy either.--irv

·
Registered
336 Posts
Agree.... They call them DUNSLOPS for a reason!!! They are just slopy in the twisties IMHO>

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@IRV. Yep. That is the way I went. It was my first time on that Elizabeth road. 110 turns. Most of the guys I was riding up to New Glause with have sport bikes. Mostly Busas. They were turning on rails. I know there was no way I could keep up. And didn't try. My other buddy has a 08 Vrod. with a 280 rear tire. He has trouble turning right. For the same reason. The drive on the right of the victory sounds like a good reason to me. Not a engineer major by any means. But know how a centripetal force can change the geometry of a bike. Turing right I could go as low as my frame would allow. Going left it wanted to stand right back up. Got kind of scared a little on a few of the corners. Didn't expect it to try to pop back upright.

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
Jeeves and all;
Left handers will be different from right handers due to the camber of the road. Ask most any rider which turns they like least and the reply will usually be left ones. That's due to a steeper camber. Those reading this in the UK, its vice-verse.
Be an air pressure Nazi - check pressures at least weekly. Pressures too low will dramatically affect handling and turning.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The tire really isnt any bigger then the 250. 10mm is nothing at all really. As for your speedo being off, the 260mm is the width of the tire. A wider tire will not mess with your speedo. Only if you go with a different side wall height ( the number 40 in the tire size) will your speedo change.
Technically speaking, the 260 will be slightly bigger diameter than a 250. You're correct that 260mm is the width of the tire, and I agree that 10mm is nothing at all really. The number 40 represents sidewall percentage of width, so the sidewall is 40% of 260. Based on that, you could reason that the sidewall on the 260 should be 4mm bigger than 250 (40% of 10mm), resulting in a total diameter increase of 8mm.

Still, like you said not a big deal...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Technically speaking, the 260 will be slightly bigger diameter than a 250. You're correct that 260mm is the width of the tire, and I agree that 10mm is nothing at all really. The number 40 represents sidewall percentage of width, so the sidewall is 40% of 260. Based on that, you could reason that the sidewall on the 260 should be 4mm bigger than 250 (40% of 10mm), resulting in a total diameter increase of 8mm.

Still, like you said not a big deal...
Gotcha, learn alittle something new everyday. Thanks
I agree though 8mm is not gonna throw anything off.
Thanks again

1 - 15 of 15 Posts