8,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible? What parts are needed?
Bottom leg off a Cross bike fit?
Anyone here done it?

·
Registered
426 Posts
When I looked you need the entire front fork assembly to attach both rotors. The stock forks only have the bolt holes on 1 side. A used hammer fork setup runs around 1100 bucks, plus rotors disks, etc...too much. Rode a hammer and didn't feel too great a difference to be honest. My single KP rotor seems fine. I brushed the idea off.

At first it sounded good but a lot of beans for a little more stopping power I could barely discern wasn't a good trade off for me.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The single rotor on the KP is plenty of stopping power.. the only thing that the 2nd disk would get you is better braking over time of use.. 2 disks won't stop you any faster per se. but you will have less fade on the brakes if you're using them heavily, like hauling a heavy weight (not talking about the old lady here guys) but something like a trailer, down a mountain. I had thought about doing it on my bike.. but even hauling a 500 lb trailer behind me AND a passenger I never felt I was pushing the limit of my braking. The engine braking on these bike is so good I never even really wore out my brake pads much to be honest.

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What makes you think you want dual rotors?
Cos the brakes in these things leave a lot to be desired, jumping from my twin disc over 30 yrs old gpz to the Vegas felt like I had no brakes till I became accustomed.
Don't wanna get into a debate about whether or not I need em, just wanna know what I need to do it.
Thanks for the info HC

·
Premium Member
4,893 Posts
Cos the brakes in these things leave a lot to be desired, jumping from my twin disc over 30 yrs old gpz to the Vegas felt like I had no brakes till I became accustomed.
Don't wanna get into a debate about whether or not I need em, just wanna know what I need to do it.
Thanks for the info HC
Have you tried upgrading the single disc? It's cheaper...
I use EBC Pro-Lite rotors and sintered HH brake pads. I can lock the front wheel at 70 mph with 2 fingers on the lever.

Really, braking force is limited to how much traction the front tire has. If you can lock the front tire, that's all the braking you can use. The advantage 2 dual rotors is resisting fade. If you were doing several stops from high speed in a row the single rotor/caliper would heat-fade quickly.

I don't do repeated stops from high speed, so I never heat-faded the brakes on the ol' KP.

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you tried upgrading the single disc? It's cheaper...
I use EBC Pro-Lite rotors and sintered HH brake pads. I can lock the front wheel at 70 mph with 2 fingers on the lever.

Really, braking force is limited to how much traction the front tire has. If you can lock the front tire, that's all the braking you can use. The advantage 2 dual rotors is resisting fade. If you were doing several stops from high speed in a row the single rotor/caliper would heat-fade quickly.

I don't do repeated stops from high speed, so I never heat-faded the brakes on the ol' KP.
Ive gone to Lyndalls pads they're far better than the stock wooden ones.
Ive never faded the single disc yet.
Twin discs look better too...more balanced.
Been keeping a look out for a Hammer S write off that's been hit up the backside but nothings come up yet.
Kingpins full valanced fender looks pretty cool though and would keep the dirt off the front of my bike better.
My Vegas front all the crappy OEM clear is lifting and the fork legs pitted, shitty clears lifting on the triple trees so soon be looking at removing the front end for a total revamp, strip the clear and polish the alloy.
Replace the steering head bearings with tapered rollers too while I'm at it.

Oh yeah booked in for a proper tune to get those A/F's pulled into line, Fred from Procycle agrees with You and Kevinx on how messy the fuelling is, and "will never make good top end power running that rich"
Aug 2nd is the day, at lunchtime, will be ready then for a run on the local strip then I got a day before Ill ride 7 hours north to race proper.
Hopefully it'll all come together that weekend and all the trials and tribulation, waiting, heartaches and bullshit will be behind me...was gonna run Wed night at the local but I don't think I can go any quicker on that tune.
Would like to try some clutchless runs on the strip though, what changes smooth on the street should change equally well at 6K on the track?
After midnight here, Ill read your answer in the morning,.
Goodnight all.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Ozzie's part with money for new parts??? Good one. Have you seen Mad Max?

Really, the single disc is more than enough for routine riding when used in conjunction with the rear. If you are locking up a wheel you've lost traction and are not close to the max that's available.

In any case, if it's looks you're after or simply just because that's what you want then go for it. As others have indicated though it could be pricey unless you come across a suitable parts bike. Also consider that a different triple tree with a different fork size could give you access to other sources for the parts. You may also loose the inverted forks doing that.

Good luck. It would be an interesting build to follow.

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ozzie's part with money for new parts??? Good one. Have you seen Mad Max?

Really, the single disc is more than enough for routine riding when used in conjunction with the rear. If you are locking up a wheel you've lost traction and are not close to the max that's available.

In any case, if it's looks you're after or simply just because that's what you want then go for it. As others have indicated though it could be pricey unless you come across a suitable parts bike. Also consider that a different triple tree with a different fork size could give you access to other sources for the parts. You may also loose the inverted forks doing that.

Good luck. It would be an interesting build to follow.
Seen Mad Max?

I starred in it!:devil

Only joking:smile

Aussie ingenuity times a million behind those flicks.
Weren't too much new stuff utilised in any of the four.
The first was real low budget, the director sacrificing his own transport for the celluloid hit!
And what a hit it is when the MFP Pursuit Car chops through the Mazda Bongo van causing it to pirouette gracefully to a stop.
As Barry says
"a piece from here, a piece from there"
https://youtu.be/8bQzkdK2ha0

·
Premium Member
6,146 Posts
MbX, I ordered all the stuff to convert my '13 single disk jackpot to a '16 Hammer 'S front.... Black rims and all....

My original forks were bent so I thought this was the perfect opportunity to do something special, as it seems I will not get rid of this jackpot anytime soon, it is just Sooooo Awsome

Note: if you read the internet then single disk or double disk have the same stopping distance , so that should not matter , if you go to DonWood website you can crosscheck all items.... Even wheel spacers, etc

Yeah second hand is the way to go, ....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Larger rotor?

Have you thought of going with a larger rotor? They make a kit for the cross bikes. I believe it is on Witchdoctors site. Maybe you could find one on a used bike and run dual calipers on it. Or score an old Buell front wheel and rotor set up.

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you thought of going with a larger rotor? They make a kit for the cross bikes. I believe it is on Witchdoctors site. Maybe you could find one on a used bike and run dual calipers on it. Or score an old Buell front wheel and rotor set up.
If it was just stopping power, braking surface area and such that I was chasing then that could be an option.
But I'm after an aesthetically pleasing balanced look as well as a larger area to dissipate heat.
Not that I'm doing intensive tractors which would warrant really fade free brakes,
The Vegas ain't a 900SS Ducati nor an R1 and the only racetracks I frequent have a good quarter mile of braking area, So I never run out of brakes there.
On the street I'm an engine braker and an anticipator,
Roads I know well I can flow along rarely using brakes at all unless I might be dicing with a mate a little, and then I'll be using both brakes and gears for maximum smoothness.
It's not so much a need as it is a want.
It's nice to have more than one needs,
I'm a glutton in a lot of areas,
Power, Handling, and Braking. to name three
It's nice to have some in reserve.

·
Premium Member
4,893 Posts

If it was just stopping power, braking surface area and such that I was chasing then that could be an option.
But I'm after an aesthetically pleasing balanced look as well as a larger area to dissipate heat.
You are all anal about how the pipes look and now about the dual brakes look... but you ride around with a 21" fender and 18" wheel and think that looks OK?

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
You are all anal about how the pipes look and now about the dual brakes look... but you ride around with a 21" fender and 18" wheel and think that looks OK?

It looks fantastic, it's the dirt bike look:smile
Really I don't give a rats
I probably should tuck my shirt in too:wink

Hehe:devil

That 18" wheel is all part of the plot, it's got threads for the other disc rotor,
Rome wasn't built in a day

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok :smile
Chrome Kingpin front end is on its way, got a killer deal on an OEM accessory part.
Gotta track down a front fender that I can modify to fit the Kingpin front end.
I'll be fitting tapered roller bearings when it goes in.
Hoping my headlight and gauges are a straight bolt up and my indicators will adapt to the fatter upper tubes.
Presuming the front brake caliper is the same so I can use mine.

Down the track I'll be hunting the other bottom bit that takes the caliper, plus caliper, rotor, lines etc
And maybe a Progressive spring upgrade further along the road.

There's still 3 chrome Kingpin fronts left if anyone else wants to smarten up the front of their Vegas, Jackpot, or whatever, just do a search on ebay and you'll find em.
Cheap too, specially if you're in the USA.
I got mine through Amazon, a bit more expensive but the cheap shipping made up for it.
We are at a bit of a disadvantage here in OZ as far as shipping costs goes.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Mastercylinder

Do you have to go with a different mastercylinder? I would not be surprised if you do. You got a lot more fluid to move with the dual disc. Hopefully they send it with the new front end. If you do not need it, it could be an extra for you down the road. Hope it all goes good. Personally I would like to get the large brake disc kit they sell for the X bikes, but it takes money. Shooting for different cams down the road. Then I will be wanting the brakes, LOL. Good luck. Please take pictures for all us on here before and after. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do you have to go with a different mastercylinder? I would not be surprised if you do. You got a lot more fluid to move with the dual disc. Hopefully they send it with the new front end. If you do not need it, it could be an extra for you down the road. Hope it all goes good. Personally I would like to get the large brake disc kit they sell for the X bikes, but it takes money. Shooting for different cams down the road. Then I will be wanting the brakes, LOL. Good luck. Please take pictures for all us on here before and after. Thanks.
Master cylinder, dunno. I'll check bore sizes and see,
That'll all come later anyway,
I'll fit up the front end first with tapered roller bearings..
I'll fish around on ebay for everything else I need second hand.
Got more than one toy to support as well as other cars I'm building, between fixing others machinery to pay for it all.
Only reason I jumped on the Kingpin front is cos it was
$359 USDollars, cheep cheep cheep, and flash, and a handling upgrade with the potential for future brake upgrade.
I would've been mad not to.
Cost me a bit more through Amazon, but they had a better re cheaper shipping option than UPS to Australia,
I did have a kind forum member who was going to get it free shipped to him then repack and send to me USPS but when I worked out the costs it was around the same money anyway, so less hassle to just bite the bullet and get Amazon to ship direct to me.

And I could probably sell my heavily upgraded Vegas front end and still come out in front.
Time will tell.

As for yours. You've already got the brakes and suspension that I'm ultimately shooting for so get into those cams man, they really transform an already very capable machine into something else.
Brakes???.... they only slow ya down. LOL!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts