Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a major "F" Up and need direction... (I know, I know, just don't beat me up to hard!!!!)

Changed the oil in my '15 XCT lastnight and used a torque wrench on the drain plug set to the 15 ft/lbs per the manual.. I did use caution and stopped when I thought I felt the click of the wrench.

Found drips this morning on the garage floor, grabbed a normal ratchet figuring I did not get it tight enough and proceed to twist off the head of drain plug..

So, advise on how to fix this. I figured easy outs is really my only choice but looking for someone that has experienced this and how it was fixed.

·
Registered
427 Posts
With the head busted off, the threaded section might back out easy. See if you can find a section you can tap on with a screwdriver or something and try backing it out.

·
Premium Member
6,234 Posts
Can you share a picture of the damaged plug so we can help you better ?

Andre
@
TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Yea a picture would help us a bunch. If there is something left you may be able to score a slot in remains with a dremel and then back it out with a screwdriver. Left handed drill bits if it comes to having to drill it out. Or I have a set of these "speed out"

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Did a major "F" Up and need direction... (I know, I know, just don't beat me up to hard!!!!)

Changed the oil in my '15 XCT lastnight and used a torque wrench on the drain plug set to the 15 ft/lbs per the manual.. I did use caution and stopped when I thought I felt the click of the wrench.

Found drips this morning on the garage floor, grabbed a normal ratchet figuring I did not get it tight enough and proceed to twist off the head of drain plug..

So, advise on how to fix this. I figured easy outs is really my only choice but looking for someone that has experienced this and how it was fixed.
yup been there done that. what I did was lay the bike on its side ( anchored from the joists). drilled 3 small holes or dimples, if you will. Took a sharp punch, put the point in a dimple and sharply punch counter clockwise. it may take a little while. Be prepared for some oil to run out.

Reactions: BP6666VR

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
or you can do what others suggested with left hand drill or extractor. The key is to keep the dill centered. start with small drill bits and work your way up to the recommended size for the extractror.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
When I was in the USAF we use to have these small angle cut chisels for screws the head got mangled on. We called them screw chisels, still got one somewhere I think. But yea that works too, sometimes one of those automatic center punches will walk one out doing the same thing. Had a point something like this.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I don't want to beat up anybody , BUT , either Vic is making a bunch of defective drain plugs or some of you fellas need to have the dealer handle your oil changes .....:nanana:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The larger the extractor you can use the less chance you have of breaking that off, and you DONT want to do that.

·
13,262 Posts
go out and buy new drill bits and chisel punches. Most are do beat up and dull they'll just give you fits.
Rent a bunch of moving blankets for laying bike on its side.
youtube has some good how to videos.

GOOD LUCK

To anyone reading this get a hex head drain plug to help prevent the stripping

Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Good advice here.
Pictures would be awesome. I'm not exactly certain what was left in after the drain plug broke and that matters on how you take it out.

Minus pictures and with all the good advice here now, I would add to not get in a hurry. Put a drain pan under it right now and deal with it when your calm and have the time to not rush. By all means post some pictures because all broken plugs are not equal.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I don't want to beat up anybody , BUT , either Vic is making a bunch of defective drain plugs or some of you fellas need to have the dealer handle your oil changes .....:nanana:
I'm guessing it is the plug as much as technique.
Being a parts guy do you know what the blue adhesive that Walmart puts on their drain plugs to seal and retain them when they do an oil change for customers.
It keeps the plug in with very little torque on it and seals things up so it does not leak. Seems like just the stuff for Victory drain plugs.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Being a parts guy do you know what the blue adhesive that Walmart puts on their drain plugs to seal and retain them when they do an oil change for customers.
I know of it but have not used it ... All the Ford plugs have a factory bonded o-ring on them ..... Except for the diesel motors .

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Looks like loctite recommends 565 pst. It's not what walmart uses, but I do have some in the shop. I think I will give that a try next oil change and cut back on the torque on the drain plug. With an adhesive sealer there should be no need to put a lot of torque on that plug. Probably get away with 1/2 the spec'd torque which should eliminate any chance of breakage or stripping the case.

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
Save your torque wrench for big ends, mains, and head bolts.
Use the Allen wrench Victory provides on the bike and tighten it by hand.
Sadly for the OP its too late for this advice but hopefully it'll save others from a Torquewrench Tragedy.
Happens way too regular on here.

No extra goop is needed to seal it either.

Reactions: DirtyDan

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update on the "Twisted Off oil Drain Plug"!!!!

Well, bike laid on its side, gas siphoned from tank (was running out the over flow, had to), pilot hole drilled, then larger hole drilled... Success!!!!! Oh, and not a drop of oil lost!!!!

Attachments

·
13,262 Posts
get rid of that dam allen drain plug every one

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I dont usually have issues with allen bolts. But I aint using no harbor freight L key jobs neither. Great you got it out. I would have maybe taken the gas tank off, but hey whatever works for ya.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts