Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how high this route is and if it can be driven in December? I will be in Az until Christmas and I want to do this ride.
Can anyone help?
Thanks
bcflyguy

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
The elevation of the city of Kerrville nearby to the twisted sisters is 1635ft. While riding the sisters you will go up a few hundred feet more in some of the hills. Texas weather is un predictable at best and there are times it does get a dusting of snow in that area. As your time gets closer to coming near check the forecasts at least a week ahead of time to get a good idea of the weather pattern. Have fun and be safe there. I will be riding up there in the third weekend of March with a group for our annual meet.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Also watch how much rain has been in the area, there are many shallow water crossings that can become "not so shallow"

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
106 Posts
Our Decembers can have 40 degree weekends and we can have 75 degree weekends. If you are a moderately skilled driver there isn't anything too technically challenging about the Three Sisters--but damn they are fun girls! Do take good care in wet conditions--but if it's dry, and warm enough for you, it is a great ride.

Here is a quick write-up of one my fall rides that is a way to head to the sisters from San Antonio:
http://www.rogerpence.com/2013/08/30/a-sad-thunderbird-hiding-in-the-texas-hill-country/

I moved to Texas from Indiana. I miss green stuff, seasons changing and be so damned far from the great riding in the southeast US. Having said that, I am often quite surprised of the great riding you can find in the usually brown, hot, parts of southern Texas.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Might want to consider the Coronado Trail as another option and not risk such a long trip ..
where is the Colorado trail. In Colorado I suspect. Is it not snowing there in dec????
bcflyguy

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
While enjoying the twisted sisters, try highway 16 between Kerrville and its junction with 337 in Medina. It is not as highly advertised but every bit as thrilling and some breathtaking scenery as well. Don't miss this little jewel!

·
Registered
784 Posts
While enjoying the twisted sisters, try highway 16 between Kerrville and its junction with 337 in Medina. It is not as highly advertised but every bit as thrilling and some breathtaking scenery as well. Don't miss this little jewel!
Nice little "jewel" but make sure you are right with the world, this piece of road can tell on you. I don't take novice or overconfident riders on this one, and I know they do it, but have never seen another MC while riding it, only my pillion as we pass eachother in a few places.:D
It is a nice piece of road. 337 all the way to Bandera is nice ans scenic too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts