Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I searched and while I'm sure it's in some of the results, somewhere...I quit trying to hone in on it! lol

1. I think I've heard of a quicker throttle response set up? Not tuning or any of that, just a different bell crank or whatever is used to hasten the turn and reduce the travel.

2. Brake feel on the front...sucks. Rode my old Virgo 1100 today and it's just sooo much nicer. The Vic has both floating discs and I suspect too much pull back from the piston seals. Short of residual pressure valves or a caliper rebuild of sorts, anyone have any suggestions? The brakes work fine, the response is soft and tactical feel poor. Even bled them a squirt or two each. Still they are more responsive once you pump them up once meaning there's free play here.

If this were a car I'd feel more at home as brakes is my business. And I'm sure I can find a way to fix it; PRV's or knock-back springs, maybe polish the pistons down .001-.002. Curious to know if others note the same?

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Yes I searched and while I'm sure it's in some of the results, somewhere...I quit trying to hone in on it! lol

1. I think I've heard of a quicker throttle response set up? Not tuning or any of that, just a different bell crank or whatever is used to hasten the turn and reduce the travel.

2. Brake feel on the front...sucks. Rode my old Virgo 1100 today and it's just sooo much nicer. The Vic has both floating discs and I suspect too much pull back from the piston seals. Short of residual pressure valves or a caliper rebuild of sorts, anyone have any suggestions? The brakes work fine, the response is soft and tactical feel poor. Even bled them a squirt or two each. Still they are more responsive once you pump them up once meaning there's free play here.

If this were a car I'd feel more at home as brakes is my business. And I'm sure I can find a way to fix it; PRV's or knock-back springs, maybe polish the pistons down .001-.002. Curious to know if others note the same?
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/articles/view/901/motion_pro_revolver_throttle_cam_reels/

http://ebcbrakes.com/products/brake-type/

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

You have experience with any of the particular cams/reels? Assume you have to spec the Victory for the right part etc. Feedback on install difficulty? *I see Polaris but no Victory noted.

Pads are not the problem. *Although yes the EBC as in the Virago are a nicer and more aggressive pad. The issue is "long pedal" as we say. A displacement issue not a bite issue. A quick pump and they feel much better!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
You have experience with any of the particular cams/reels? Assume you have to spec the Victory for the right part etc. Feedback on install difficulty? *I see Polaris but no Victory noted.

Pads are not the problem. *Although yes the EBC as in the Virago are a nicer and more aggressive pad. The issue is "long pedal" as we say. A displacement issue not a bite issue. A quick pump and they feel much better!
For the throttle, Im not sure if this will help or not but just in case...
http://www.lloydz.com/store/item_view.asp?estore_itemid=1000124
What SB posted may be more to what your after.

Brakes
I understand your complaint on the distance and 2nd Saddlebags recommendation of EBC pads. Im simply waiting for more wear as I have other things to spend the cash on BUT have heard the complaint and followed it with EBC pads resolving it by the more aggressive bite not requireing as much pressure. Make sure to post a folllowup on what path you went and how it worked... I havent bought my pads yet.. ;)

Good luck on both and safe ridin
Tim

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts

I read somewhere that if you tie down the brake pedal overnight it stiffens it up. I tried it and it worked...for a morning or two.

I have an FJR and if I ride it for a while then hop on the Vic, I find myself a little startled first time I go to get on them. Combined with the rear, I can actually haul down the big Vic pretty damn quick.

Sorry, no specifics on the cams. Just a place to start your journey into Diddletown.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll call on the throttle parts from Lloydz and see what they have to say.

As for the brakes, I'm speaking only of the front brake. It's not a bite problem or a pressure problem. You have ample of both. What's 'wrong' is that the lever is soft to pull and with a quick flick can be pumped up. Meaning you have excessive travel in the system. That leads to slower reaction time and a softer pull than (I feel) is ideal.

BWoC, the Virago is short and stout making for both fast response and hard linear feel. This comes from having fixed, not floating, discs which add to pad knock back problems. Anyhow..I'm rambling here, I'm sorry. I know what the causes are, what I don't know is if anyone else has found a way to deal with it. Or that owners simply accept it and don't know. It's like driving a performance car vs your grandmothers big sedan feel!:p

·
13,003 Posts
Don't you have the lever adjustment on your XC you could change the travel that way.

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
I would say replace the brake fluid with a good synthetic like Valvoline DOT4 and get some HH-Sintered brake pads. If you don't have them already, braided steel brake lines help too.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't you have the lever adjustment on your XC you could change the travel that way.
I do. And I've played with it some. But that doesn't fix a 'soft pedal' so to speak. Any position it's in can still have you pumping the lever to firm it up, it does change the distance overall to compensate for finger length.

I'll try setting it from 1 directly to 5 in a day or so when I get it back again just to see if in fact I've missed something. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I would say replace the brake fluid with a good synthetic like Valvoline DOT4 and get some HH-Sintered brake pads. If you don't have them already, braided steel brake lines help too.
With only some 8k on it here in dry AZ the fluid won't have much moisture in it. And I bled it a couple times anyhow looking for any air.

Pad material won't change a soft pedal feel (lever) only make for improved bite once applied. I'll probably do the EBC stuff like is on the Virago however in due time.

The bike comes with SS hoses on it already. A good thought though as rubber hoses can expand under pressure.

As I stated above; it's not a lack of braking. It's a lack of tactical feel and response. Until you pump it one time to firm it up. You'd have to ride these two side by side or maybe come from a sport bike/racing bacground to get what I'm saying. Maybe I'm the only one or others just find it acceptable, I dunno. I'd describe it as a numb feeling. It was one of the comments I made on my first test ride on a totally different XCT at another dealer in fact so it's not just this bike.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I'll call on the throttle parts from Lloydz and see what they have to say.

As for the brakes, I'm speaking only of the front brake. It's not a bite problem or a pressure problem. You have ample of both. What's 'wrong' is that the lever is soft to pull and with a quick flick can be pumped up. Meaning you have excessive travel in the system. That leads to slower reaction time and a softer pull than (I feel) is ideal.

BWoC, the Virago is short and stout making for both fast response and hard linear feel. This comes from having fixed, not floating, discs which add to pad knock back problems. Anyhow..I'm rambling here, I'm sorry. I know what the causes are, what I don't know is if anyone else has found a way to deal with it. Or that owners simply accept it and don't know. It's like driving a performance car vs your grandmothers big sedan feel!:p

I thought it was just my bike. That I had air in the system. When I first get on the brakes I can pull the lever all the way to the grip. But you can pump the brakes up with a couple off quick pumps of the lever.

If this is what your talking about. I still think there is air in the system.
The reason I have not bleed the brakes is that after I pump them up I don't like the feel. They have a wooden feel. I like the spongy feel better when you first get on the brakes. Even though spongy is not good it's better than the wooden feel........

I don't believe this has anything to do with the floating discs. No other bike I had with floating disc front brakes did this. And my discs don't have any side slop in them yet witch is typical of floating discs ....

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought it was just my bike. That I had air in the system. When I first get on the brakes I can pull the lever all the way to the grip. But you can pump the brakes up with a couple off quick pumps of the lever.

If this is what your talking about. I still think there is air in the system.
The reason I have not bleed the brakes is that after I pump them up I don't like the feel. They have a wooden feel. I like the spongy feel better when you first get on the brakes. Even though spongy is not good it's better than the wooden feel........

I don't believe this has anything to do with the floating discs. No other bike I had with floating disc front brakes did this. And my discs don't have any side slop in them yet witch is typical of floating discs ....
That's it.

There's no air in the system that I can find. And if you do it static its hard to replicate unless you let the bike sit for a bit. The issue is pad knock back. The cause; either too much tension and pull back on the piston seals and/or the floating disc. Both of which push the pads back a bit when you are rolling.

As you stated; when you pump it a bit you get a firmer feel. (wood..hehehe..he said wood!) The pressure is the same tho. You're getting the same psi, just taking up the slop in the system. Personally I much prefer the hard feel over the softer one as it's easier to modulate with only a very slight change in finger pressure. The spongy feel is not so much to my liking and and if you light up a bit on it, then its firm the second pull and not the same modulation pressure point.

I can live with it. Just not what I'd like it to be. Was only hoping someone would tell me "this and that" fixed the issue for me.

I'm pretty familiar with how this all works; TCE

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I thought it was just my bike. That I had air in the system. When I first get on the brakes I can pull the lever all the way to the grip.
Yowza! Now that's way worse than mine. And mine are way worse than any the new Vics I demo'd earlier this year.

·
13,003 Posts
why not go to dealer and check another bike to see if the same. Could be bad o=rings on piston that are letting them slide back in to far.

To check for air turn your bars to left where master cylinder at highest point and level. Let it sit over night now pull cap off and very slowly squeeze lever about a 1/8 of a inch. Look to see if air bubbles come out. You might see maybe two small ones. Now release lever and do it again. When no bubbles your done.
Air will go to the highest point always.
No need to squeeze lever past a 1/8 inch cause that would be forcing air down the line and you don't want that.

·
Registered
608 Posts
That's it.

There's no air in the system that I can find. And if you do it static its hard to replicate unless you let the bike sit for a bit. The issue is pad knock back. The cause; either too much tension and pull back on the piston seals and/or the floating disc. Both of which push the pads back a bit when you are rolling.

As you stated; when you pump it a bit you get a firmer feel. (wood..hehehe..he said wood!) The pressure is the same tho. You're getting the same psi, just taking up the slop in the system. Personally I much prefer the hard feel over the softer one as it's easier to modulate with only a very slight change in finger pressure. The spongy feel is not so much to my liking and and if you light up a bit on it, then its firm the second pull and not the same modulation pressure point.

I can live with it. Just not what I'd like it to be. Was only hoping someone would tell me "this and that" fixed the issue for me.

I'm pretty familiar with how this all works; TCE
The more I think of this the more I think you are right. The pads are moving away from the rotors so the first pull of the lever most of the travel is used up getting the pads back to the rotor.
Yup you are spot on about this.

But I like the fact that I can get a better grip on the lever or a stronger pull when it's close to the grip.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
why not go to dealer and check another bike to see if the same.
Did that before I bought the one I have. Rode one at the Mesa store and it was one of a couple immediate comments I made when I got back. They just kinda looked at me funny. (like some of you probably are! :D) Anyhow it's the same on this bike and I suspect others now that it's come up.

I won't beat a dead horse here. I'll live with it or fix it for my own needs.

Moving on...

I did order one of the throttle rings today and will be curious to see how the machine responds with it once installed. Thanks for the link!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts