Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edited:

Instead of the enclosed trailer, has anyone used the 5x9 open trailer? The interior length is claimed to be 110 inches, with the CCT being 108 inches. That makes me a little worried. :)

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I used that trailer to haul my 2006 Yamaha Royal Star Venture and it's every bit as big as the Vic.

What I found is I could not close the ramp completely; however, they are designed to be able to leave partially open. If I recall correctly, there are 2 settings for the pins that hold the gate... one is fully closed, the other is partially closed. I also think there are safety chains at the top of the gate.

Uhaul also has a motorcycle specific trailer which I've used to haul my Vic on and it works quite well.

https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/Motorcycle-Trailer-Rental/MT/

Reactions: gdfishwell

·
13,262 Posts
what about sticking the front wheel in a corner so it can't move side to side and let the rear wheel ride on the edge of the trailer

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The motorcycle trailer doesn't show up as an option for me, unfortunately.
Not all locations carry them... is there another location close to you?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
what about sticking the front wheel in a corner so it can't move side to side and let the rear wheel ride on the edge of the trailer
I don't think he will need to but that is an option. With the front wheel in the corner and turned, he should have ample room.

FWIW the Yamaha Venture length is 105" and I didn't need to angle it.

·
Registered
12,327 Posts
If you are going to haul it a long distance and there's the possibility of rain, I'd opt for an enclosed trailer. I had to haul two bikes from Portland, Oregon to Albuquerque, NM and back and drove through rain at times. Bikes were far grimier than if they had been ridden. Muck got into every nook and and cranny that it possibly could. Never again an open trailer.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
If you are going to haul it a long distance and there's the possibility of rain, I'd opt for an enclosed trailer. I had to haul two bikes from Portland, Oregon to Albuquerque, NM and back and drove through rain at times. Bikes were far grimier than if they had been ridden. Muck got into every nook and and cranny that it possibly could. Never again an open trailer.
Just to add to that ... if you haul your bike in an open trailer, NEVER cover it because the cover will flap like crazy and mar the paint wherever it flaps against.

Possible issue with an enclosed trailer is overall inside height. You may find you have to remove the windshield to get the bike inside, not to mention ducking down in the process.

·
Registered
415 Posts
visionjohnny said:
I've never really cared for this method for one reason only: If you have to slam on the brakes you're putting a HUGE load on the tie downs and risk having a failure. But if that's your only option then that's your only option.

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
i suppose If I really had to trailer a bike then the enclosed one would keep it secret:devil

Reactions: gdfishwell

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
i suppose If I really had to trailer a bike then the enclosed one would keep it secret:devil
Good point coz one wouldn't want anyone to know that bikes other than Hardleys get hauled in a trailer LOL

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just noticed the 5x9 trailer has a built in wheel choke. Not only will that help with tie down, it should give me any additional couple of inches.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Not sure what this "trailer" thing you speak of is.... but one could always use a couple extra inches!! :pepper:dance 1

·
Registered
149 Posts
I bought my bike out of state and needed to transport it home due to heavy rain conditions in January none-the less. Went to U-haul with the intention of renting the motorcycle trailer, the open trailer with the wheel chock. They told me that it was not for 1 way rental. No way was I going to make the 6 hour drive back to return a trailer. I opted for the enclosed. Worked great for me.
So, if you are going 1 way, closed trailer may be the only option.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts