Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See thread here:
http://www.victoryforums.com/36-victory-tech-performance-section/138745-chain-rattling-noise-under-load-xct-headed-shop.html

Long story short, it was pulley noise. Didn't have enough air in the shock, wife on back with me we bottomed out the rear tire on the frame on several freeway seams.
This force caused the rear axle to go askew in the slots which of course mis-tracked the pulley leading to the noise.
Turns out the XCT doesn't have a bumper to keep the swing arm from bottoming out like Harley's do.

Real culprit was the fact that my shock pump had a gauge that only went to 60 lbs, when the Vic manual calls for 72 for our combined weights. So I'd pump it to 60 then some more strokes as a guess.

The other culprit - as you all know - is the PITA process of pulling the right side cover and attaching a pump to get a reading of the shock.
So my bike wrench and I came up with the solution shown in the pic below. I'm in the trunk every time I start up the bike so it seemed a natural to plumb a fill valve and gauge into it. Wrench tested it - it's held 70 lbs for a week so good to go.
I wish he'd used 1/8" air hose for the extend because this system requires about 3x the pumping what with the added capacity of the hose.

I'm $1250 into the repair including labor, new Ness pulley and replacement belt, both of which were ruined by riding with the noise evident.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I didn't think Cross bikes had a bump stop but I guess we know for sure now! Another shortcut or overlook by Polaris IMO. I relocated my shock fill valve as well and it has not lost pressure yet and that was months ago.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
MM: Nice setup, with the gauge added and easily visible.

If anyone else is interested, I have a write-up on moving the shock fill point:

Adding an External Schrader Valve for the Air Shock on a Victory Cross Country Motorcycle

Although I went through the side cover (see pic below), I have links in that article to forum posts -- by MTVic and others -- that do not involve any new drilling, and use both the left and right side of the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
MMGUT,

Your fix looks high quality but doesn't it prevent you from being able to remove the trunk? Or, at least, require you to disconnnect the air piping and lose all the air in the shock in order to remove the trunk?

G'day,

Vinish

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
MMGUT,

Your fix looks high quality but doesn't it prevent you from being able to remove the trunk? Or, at least, require you to disconnnect the air piping and lose all the air in the shock in order to remove the trunk?

G'day,

Vinish

That's probably the case, but if he's like me at all, I barely remove my trunk...

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
Lots of ways to skin a cat. It would sure be nice if these came stock with a little $10 electric pump motor, a gauge on the dash, and a button on either the dash or handlebars to either raise or lower the back end. I'm sure they could cost cut this down to under $25 for everything when buying parts in bulk lots. Heck; they could probably sell the kit for $250+ as well.

Combine that with an electric windshield and we'd be walking in tall cotton nekkid.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MMGUT,

G'day,

Vinish
I've no desire to ever remove the trunk so wasn't worried about it.
Added hose volume is a minus here but having that gauge in your face every ride is worth it IMO.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
That's probably the case, but if he's like me at all, I barely remove my trunk...
Agree. In four years of ownership now, I've NEVER taken the trunk off.

Lots of ways to skin a cat. It would sure be nice if these came stock with a little $10 electric pump motor, a gauge on the dash, and a button on either the dash or handlebars to either raise or lower the back end. I'm sure they could cost cut this down to under $25 for everything when buying parts in bulk lots. Heck; they could probably sell the kit for $250+ as well.
HMD used to sell a kit of DIY-parts like that, for c. $250. This is "as I recall," because I just looked, and I can't find it now. I remember investigating this years back, because I was thinking of buying it, or doing something like it myself. I never read of anyone's actually buying it, which is maybe why it got dropped. In any case, I like MM's solution, especially the gauge part.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Thanks MMGUT. I have three 2012 XCT bikes and the trunks are OFF of all of these more than 90% of the time. The only time we put the trunks on is for long-distance touring. Different strokes for different folks.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Thanks MMGUT. I have three 2012 XCT bikes and the trunks are OFF of all of these more than 90% of the time. The only time we put the trunks on is for long-distance touring. Different strokes for different folks.

G'day,

Vinish
Vinish, I can see where you're coming from: better handling, better looks, easier to swing a leg over, etc., etc.

In my case, the trunk is just too handy for locking up one or two helmets (flip-up, like a full-face, for me, half-helmet for my wife) during a lunch break, etc., that I would never want to remove it.

As you say, different strokes...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts