Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dayum. We don't normally see these temperature patterns until July. They started over a month early this year. We are a good 14+ degrees above normal. Much of the USA saw a never ending Winter and now it looks like we are going to have a full 4 month Summer of heat extremes unless it ends early (I can only hope).

Not complaining about the heat per se; just that we get enough of these super hot days as it is and we are very used to it but 4 months of it instead of 3 will make for a long hot Summer. I've already been caught in 114 degrees on a trip back from Nevada. I'm just glad I had plenty of water and my heat shields on the XC at the time. Sometimes I take them off for one reason or another.

Anyway; if you all are enjoying normal temps - I hope you appreciate them. :)

http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/86406

·
Administrator
5,971 Posts
Dayum. We don't normally see these temperature patterns until July. They started over a month early this year. We are a good 14+ degrees above normal. Much of the USA saw a never ending Winter and now it looks like we are going to have a full 4 month Summer of heat extremes unless it ends early (I can only hope).

Not complaining about the heat per se; just that we get enough of these super hot days as it is and we are very used to it but 4 months of it instead of 3 will make for a long hot Summer. I've already been caught in 114 degrees on a trip back from Nevada. I'm just glad I had plenty of water and my heat shields on the XC at the time. Sometimes I take them off for one reason or another.

Ouch! Don't forget to wave "hello" to any overheated HD's you see on the side of the road. cheers

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
But its a DRY HEAT right BBob??? I was so sick of hearing that from folks on the eastern seaboard when I spoke of the heat out in El Centro CA and Fallon NV... When ambient hits 126 there aint nothin dry... Made Lubbock TX seem like nothin.. and I thoguht I had it hot out there... hehehee

Speaking of water in your bag's... I stopped to help a biker broke down the other day (and it was only 74 degrees) between towns on the interstate. Bad electrical issues, couldnt help them but offered some water which they had none of. Been stuck there for 3 hours, no one stopped to help. They killed what I had. Rule of thumb for me for the last couple years is to carry a couple extra bottles when on the road for someone else in need. Just a thought on this Friday.
Safe ridin all
Tim

·
Registered
124 Posts
Your overheating and I'm getting ready to put pontoons on the bike. Rain, rain and more rain. Oh and it's only 63 here in Pa, a little low for this time of the year.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Your overheating and I'm getting ready to put pontoons on the bike. Rain, rain and more rain. Oh and it's only 63 here in Pa, a little low for this time of the year.
Sunny, low humidity, and low 70s here. Great day for riding.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Dodged that bullet and got back to Idaho just in time, looks like. Comfortable mid-80s to low-90s this week, no rain, little wind and an average 20% humidity. I do not miss Arizona one bit.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
My recollection of Phoenix summers was working from 4AM til Noon, sleeping until 8 and then riding and playing until work.

I had a lot of fun being a vampire but boy howdy, it was a young mans game. Seems like the women who were amenable to sharing that schedule tended to look a lot better at midnight than they ever did at noon.

My defense is that the heat will take a fella places he wouldn't have otherwise gone. Anyway that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

·
13,172 Posts
Here In Mn. we have had three sunny days in the last 38 days. Rain every day over cast and haven't been over 70 twice
sorry for you

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts

P.S. Temperatures are always recorded 'in the shade'.

102 here... ahhhhhhhhhhhh!

·
Premium Member
13,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here In Mn. we have had three sunny days in the last 38 days. Rain every day over cast and haven't been over 70 twice
sorry for you
Actually VJ; in this case I will take the heat over the rain any day. More than two days of overcast skies messes with my overall outlook. I guess I'm a sunshine addict.

P.S. Temperatures are always recorded 'in the shade'.

102 here... ahhhhhhhhhhhh!
Yeah, I know, you weisenheimer!

Not that 102 is exactly chilly either ya know... Not hot really by our standards but very hot by Northern or high altitude standards. :D

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Well I shoulding even of thought of complaining. Ran up to the store, 15 minute ride and drenched with only a 30% chance of rain... Yup I found it the whole way back... (but I did at least put my rain jacket on just so peeps wouldnt think I was a weekend warrior... hehehe

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Over 105 and I don't enjoy the ride so I just start out hot, head North and its gets cooler. How cool depends on how far I want to go. Was just in IL for the week 2 days of rain, 2days windy and overcast, one day sunny. I'll take the heat and sunshine

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Over 105 and I don't enjoy the ride so I just start out hot, head North and its gets cooler. How cool depends on how far I want to go. Was just in IL for the week 2 days of rain, 2days windy and overcast, one day sunny. I'll take the heat and sunshine
I love overcast weather. No better riding than all suited up. Makes me feel invincible!

I love cool weather, cold beer, and frigid women. I also enjoy good food to the point I don't look good in a Speedo. You can keep your desert, I'll be headed for the mountains.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Man you want mountains we have all kinds of mountains. Desert is only a part of AZ. Mt Lemmon where the Victory rider hits ice and falls is a classic cool ride

·
Registered
220 Posts
Dry heat is a HELL of a lot different from humid heat. I'd take the DRY 120+ temp in Afghanistan again before 100 in Massachusetts. I'm sorry if you feel like saying that dry heat sucks too, but yeah not on the same level. It sucks when your sweat don't work because of the humidity.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
13,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dry heat is a HELL of a lot different from humid heat. I'd take the DRY 120+ temp in Afghanistan again before 100 in Massachusetts. I'm sorry if you feel like saying that dry heat sucks too, but yeah not on the same level. It sucks when your sweat don't work because of the humidity.
I hear ya. I'll take the heat over the humidity any day. Unfortunately during the monsoon season, generally July and August (the hottest months), the humidity rises. Sometimes we get the rain over here on the West edge of AZ and sometimes not. When we only get the humidity and not the rain it stays hot and then gets miserable. If it rains the temps drop accordingly and it balances out just fine until the next hot dry day when the wetness in the ground evaporates creating another humid condition.

Just all part of it but ya; I'll take the dry 120 days over a 90 degree day and 99% humidity day any day.

Having lived in the deep South for years as a kid and then working construction in Florida during a Summer; I know what that feels like. While I could handle it with no issue at the age I was then; I'm not so sure I could do it now without a good bit of acclimating. It took a Summer or at least a fair part of one to get used to the conditions here so it is definitely doable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts