Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone , I joined the forum a week or so ago basically to gain insight on victory motorcycles. My question is, what determined your decision to buy a Vic over a Harley? Was it price, features, incentives offered by the manufacture? Lets face it Harleys are everywhere it seems there are dealers everywhere. I see very few Vics on the road and the dealer network is less extensive than Harleys as is aftermarket support. Don't get me wrong I dont like being part of a herd thats part of what I like with Victory and (now that I have seen them ) the new Indian cheif they are different they aren't ashamed of that either. I have yet to test ride one as I am waiting till I get a little closer to reenlisting in the guard to see what if any bonuses are offered and I want to see a new cheiftian up close. Any starting to ramble. What swayed you? Why do you ride Victory?

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Hello everyone , I joined the forum a week or so ago basically to gain insight on victory motorcycles. My question is, what determined your decision to buy a Vic over a Harley? Was it price, features, incentives offered by the manufacture? Lets face it Harleys are everywhere it seems there are dealers everywhere. I see very few Vics on the road and the dealer network is less extensive than Harleys as is aftermarket support. Don't get me wrong I dont like being part of a herd thats part of what I like with Victory and (now that I have seen them ) the new Indian cheif they are different they aren't ashamed of that either. I have yet to test ride one as I am waiting till I get a little closer to reenlisting in the guard to see what if any bonuses are offered and I want to see a new cheiftian up close. Any starting to ramble. What swayed you? Why do you ride Victory?
Your HERD comment is the main thing that kept me out of a Harley showroom. That and the LOOK of the Victory.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
I left the herd and happy . Its was that I wanted much more out of a motorcycle, I have had a few different brands of motorcycle and loved all of them . I was never able to fall in love with the harly. never had a problem with it. I didn't fit the herd anyway.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Design, Reliability, Performance, Price and a Dealer WITHOUT an attitude. OH and did I mention her beautiful rearend? thumb up

·
Registered
128 Posts
The Walmart feel of the local HD dealer and their reputation on service turned me off. The look of the Victorys and the deal I got on my Kingpin is what sold me. The new Black and Gold CCT might sell me on that one !thumb up

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes Merdinus I have noticed that the dealer local to me is very no pressure and readily answers questions. Where in Arkansas do you call home?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Personally I like **** that works. I also like the technology of things I buy to be current with the time I'm living in. Therefore the only bike that Harley makes that meets those requirements is the one that Porsche designed.

Technology, reliability, performance, appearance, price. In that order.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I bought used. Was looking at Harley as I wanted to buy American. A friend of mine told me to check out Victory. Started looking at Vics and loved the style. Found a 2 year old Vegas for cheap money at a car dealer at the end of September. American, styling, dependability, price, power, fit and feel of the bike. I like to be a little different and also throw jabs back and forth with all my HD relatives and friends. Liked the HD Nightster but figured I would quickly out grow the bike. Got the Vegas for less than I could buy the Nightster. So I guess there really was No Choice at All. Good luck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes Merdinus I have noticed that the dealer local to me is very no pressure and readily answers questions. Where in Arkansas do you call home?
Bryant here. Bryant Polaris is the same as Gregory (NEW INDIAN DEALER) in Jacksonville. They were helpful, courteous, offered a good deal and are a quarter mile from my office. Nothing like the obnoxious hd or Yamaha dealer.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Merdinus, you are about 40 minutes away from me. Gregory Polaris is who I've been talking to as they are only 15 minutes away. Looks as if you have dropped a good deal of scratch into yours in mods alone, bet shes a beaut.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replys so far guys. Beats the responses I've been getting from guys at work "buy a harley it's the best". And I'm sure the lynch mob would be trying to find my house if I had posed this question on a harley forum.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Merdinus, you are about 40 minutes away from me. Gregory Polaris is who I've been talking to as they are only 15 minutes away. Looks as if you have dropped a good deal of scratch into yours in mods alone, bet shes a beaut.
It was a dealer demo with 92 miles on it. Ask was $12,500 and after I added D&D, Analog Tach and Light Bar Kit, I walked out for $13,800. That's an easy $10,000 less than a base roadking and a key. It was an easy decision for me. And yes she is HOT dance 1

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
The decision to buy Victory over Harley was how I fit on the bike, and the quality of the ride. As big as the ultra classic is, I still felt slightly cramped. I am not a small guy, and I can still stretch out on the cross country tour.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
336 Posts
I ride a Harley 12-15k per year at work. That was enough for me to buy a Vic or any bike other than a Harley. Although the dealer has been nice to work with all five times I have brought my 2012 in for warranty work in 17k miles.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The decision to buy Victory over Harley was how I fit on the bike, and the quality of the ride. As big as the ultra classic is, I still felt slightly cramped. I am not a small guy, and I can still stretch out on the cross country tour.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
This is a very good point. The Harley destroys my shoulders and lower back. Much more room to move around on when I am riding the XR.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Greg , This is what I tell the guys at work looking for bikes.

If you want a harley go with a 1984-1999 Evo (best motor ever built for a harley).
If you are looking for a Victory hold off a few months, The market is going to be flooded with used Victory's that have been traded for a 2014 Indian.

Honestly I would go with the Indian.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The new Indians are sharp, I just dont want to go buy one then a year or two down the road Polaris decides to dump it (with the economy the way it is could happen) . Lets face it Indian hasn't had a good track record over the last several years. Although these seem well thought out and put together,not a harley clone bike. Think I will wait to see what happens with them for a year or so. In the mean time thinking the cross roads 8 ball is cool looking and decently priced.

·
Registered
848 Posts
My suggestion is ride 'em all and then decide. each has it's draw.

I have ridden HD's Checked that block, did not like the power, ride, or handling. Cool looking iron but.... done

Came from a 05 Honda Gold Wing... rocking machine sporty and comfy. One major draw back was the transmission was going to have to install another one at $5K if it wasn't for that I would not have switched.

Rode the XCT.. Sold on comfort and wind management. power is a little down from the Wing but all other areas improvement.

End of the day, ride the bikes, repeat Ride the bikes you will find what you personnally like and dislike about each. The Budget will determin which you get into.

End of the Day Ride Happy this will not be the only bike you own.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have owned Harleys for years--everything from a Sportster, Heritage EVO, Road King, Fatboy, Ultra Classic. I walked into a Honda dealer killing time and my Kingpin 8 Ball SCREAMED AT ME FROM 50 FEET AWAY!!!!!!

Nothing HD makes pegs the "cool and style" meter like a Vic. So I did just like you are doing. I did my research and called and talked to a few Polaris Service managers and quickly learned that these are NOT high maintainence machines--- no 5,000 mile $250 service like HD requires.

Easy decision for me.

·
Registered
88 Posts
In a way I bet my wife wishes I bought HD because she loves going into a Harley store and seeing all the clothing options. Vic, not so much. LOL

For me, I wanted to move up from my Honda VTX. A friend had a Victory Vision and he was always talking about how progressive the designs are. He told me about all the features designed into the Vic 106 that made it more reliable than HD....... A couple other guys have HD here at work and they have a lot of problems. One guy is always chasing oil leaks and the other guy bought a NEW Road Glide and on his way home from the dealer the electronic throttle failed. He continued to have electrical issues and I think twice more he was left stranded on the side of the road........ Doing ok now but he complains about the heat.

I was going to test drive a XC in 2010 but saw a used 2008 Vision at the dealer when I got there. My wife liked it so we drove that first. Never even looked at the XC because the ride of that Vision was unexpected. It was the best handling MC I had ever ridden, still is.

Well I rode that Vision for 3 years. Loved most everything about it but with it being an 08 I knew Vic had upgraded things like the trans. There was a Demo days at a local dealer and I really liked the look of the orange XC with blacked out chrome. It rode very well. Was lighter than the Vision and I liked the feel of the bike. It did not have the wind protection and you get more air than the Vision. I like that so not an issue.

A few weeks went by and I was still thinking about a XC. I found a good deal on a used 2013 with 525 miles on it. I got a good trade for the Vision and I now have a new XC. Mine is black and chrome. I never wanted a black bike again but it is worth the hassle to have this MC.

I stayed with Vic because it is a well engineered MC from top to bottom. I love the 106 and 6 speed and neither of my Vic's have ever had an issue. I like riding an American MC and owning something from a company that seems to me as progressive. I don't want to knock HD but I feel they are selling an image and less something that is cutting edge technology. Being an engineer I like the more modern aspects Vic offers.

Good luck. As long as your on two wheels and like your ride, you chose well.

Bill

1 - 20 of 35 Posts