Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a 2012 cc that I bought used about a month ago with 3400 miles on it and I've got about 4500 on it now. I was never very impressed with the front brakes, but the last time I took it out it got really bad. So I bought some new front pads and installed them, then took it for a ride last night and it brakes much better.

My issue is that the right side (if sitting on the bike) pads were worn all the way down to the metal (see pic), but the left side had maybe half the wear on them.

So why would the left and right side calipers grip so unevenly?

Is this a known thing or is it just my bike? Maybe something to do with the abs?

My next plan is to replace the brake fluid and bleed them really good, how likely is it that this could be the issue?

Also, how many miles do you guys typically get on a set of pads?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Make sure caliper slides are free and not binding ....

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
4500 miles on a set of brake pads isn't ideal.
I was thinking the same thing , I have 20,000 on my steed and after doing a pre-ride inspection on Sunday , my pads still look like new ...:crzy:

·
13,188 Posts
could of been pads were not flat to begin with.
If rotor was warped the other pad would show some kind of sign.
I would flush the old brake fluid out. You can get a bottle of brake fluid at auto store cheap.
When putting in new pads you should lay a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface and run the pads over the paper a few times. They break in quicker that way.
I have in the past countersunk the hole the pin goes thru so the pads slide easier. The stamped shrap holes makes me think the pads will hang up on them

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well that's no good.... I don't think I have a warped or bent rotor because I don't feel any kind of pulsating. I'm pretty sure the pads that were on there were the bike's original pads, but I guess one side could have been improperly installed and binding. Or I got an effed up caliper somehow...

I was also thinking I could possibly have a bubble in the line at the fitting of the left side caliper causing the right side to work twice as hard?

I'm no bike mechanic, but I'm not incompetent either, so I'm pretty sure I installed the new set correctly. That being said, what should my next move be?

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Keep an eye on them for even wear .

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Well that's no good.... I don't think I have a warped or bent rotor because I don't feel any kind of pulsating. I'm pretty sure the pads that were on there were the bike's original pads, but I guess one side could have been improperly installed and binding. Or I got an effed up caliper somehow...

I was also thinking I could possibly have a bubble in the line at the fitting of the left side caliper causing the right side to work twice as hard?

I'm no bike mechanic, but I'm not incompetent either, so I'm pretty sure I installed the new set correctly. That being said, what should my next move be?

Bleed the brake... Double check your handy work... Go ride the wheels off your bike! Keep an eye on the new pads if they start wearing weird or premature, you know you have a larger issue.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
EBC breaks, measured thickness

Front brake EBC
1,9 mm thickness
2,2 mm thickness

Rear brake EBC
3,5 mm thickness
3,9 mm thickness

Total of 15.000 Km on the EBC brake pads

Guess I'll buy "Lyndall Gold Plus" front brake pads next ...

Andre
@
TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just so were all on the same page and a picture is worth a few paragraphs here's a couple more pics to describe what I'm saying.

Here are the pads I took off the front of bike. The ones on the left were taken off the right front caliper, the right side was taken off the left front caliper.

·
13,188 Posts
looks like you have piston problems.
could be wrong pistons in caliper. Take a part
could be pistons hanging up. Take a part
could be bad master cylinder. you could hook up hose to bleeder. Squeeze lever and see if you get same amount of fluid out of each bleeder.
Hard to say with out being there.

looking at the first photo the back side. The one on the far right as we look at it I can't see where the piston made contact with the one end closed to us

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
If you live in a humid area, chances are the brake fluid has absorbed atmospheric moisture and corroded the insides of the calipers. If that's the case, a tear down and cleaning is in order. In humid areas bleed once a year in others once every two years. My pads of choice are EBC-HH in the front and GG in the rear to reduce lockups.

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Yeah the history of those pads is unknown..I wouldn't be ripping into calliper rebuilds yet....you're starting on a level playing field with brand new pads, I'd just flush my brake fluid through via clear hose on the bleeder suspended in a jar with clean fluid in the bottom.
Make sure the master reservoir don't get too empty and slow steady pumping of the brake lever will force all the old fluid out.
Then ride it lots and observe how they wear.
I went to Lyndall pads by the way, more expensive but they work nice.
Good Luck and let us know how they're wearing in a few months time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to all for the help. I'm going to bleed/replace brake fluid as suggested this weekend and keep an eye on the wear of the new pads. I'll update this thread at the end of the season with my findings.

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Thanks to all for the help. I'm going to bleed/replace brake fluid as suggested this weekend and keep an eye on the wear of the new pads. I'll update this thread at the end of the season with my findings.

Thanks again
Sorry to ask, but now you have 4 the same pads ?? Not a wishy-washy of brake pads??

Andre
@
TaPaTaLk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts