Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

universal tach install- powers on but no signal

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Motorbikerx 
#1 ·
I bought a cheapo tach that says universal motorcycle tach cause I want a temporary tuning tool to use with my WB2 gauge and it has three wires- red hot- black ground- green signal. OK easy enough, I plug in red and black to the 3 wire plug in the headlight bucket and the tach lights up with the key on and displays "0". I plug in the green wire to the green wire in the 3 wire plug but I can't get the tach to move from "0" with the bike running.

I don't have an oscilloscope to check the green signal wire output but I checked it in hopes it would show a nominal voltage with the bike running but it just shows 0 volts. I could maybe hook into a scope at work but I'd have to get someone to show me how to use it... other than that is there something I am missing? Not sure if the tach cares how many cylinders, single vs dual spark etc since it is coming from the ECM and not coils?

Anyone have any suggestions how to make this work?

FWIW this is a 2008 Vegas-5sp-100ci but I think all the harnesses are the same.

#2 ·
I remember there was a guy who's installed a aftermarket tach and the thread described everything and every wire .... you should find that ... it could help you ?

Andre
@
TaPaTaLk

#3 ·
I've searched a couple forums & google quite a bit. I'm certain I have the correct plug and there are only 3 wires, I identified the power/ground/signal wire but my tach is not responding the signal.

I'm curious if there is something incompatible between the tach and the victory ECM signal. I've seen discussion on single vs dual fire ignitions and auto tachs have selector switches on the back for 4/6/8 cyls but I don't think any of that matters when the signal comes direct from the ECM?

#7 ·
I Put a aftermarket tach on my 2004 Vegas and hooked the signal wire to one of the coil power wires. It worked great. I could not use the tach plug in the head light as the signal wire is of the wrong polarity.

Reactions: visionjohnny
#4 ·
tried wrapping the signal wire around the plug wire, connecting to the plug wire directly, tried a 1k resistor between the signal and ground. Kind of out of ideas so I might have to throw in the towel on this one and try a genuine victory tach.

#6 ·
Did you ever get this working? I knoww this is an awfully old post, but hoping you'll have gained some insight. I was considering trying the same on my 08 vegas 8ball. OEM tachs are impossible to find. I was looking at universal analog but don't know what signal voltage range the ecm outputs. Any input is appreciated.- Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.