Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past week I put the original starter back in my XR. I had put new brushes in it. Starter works good now! So I had the right floorboard of I figured I would check my timing wheel, made sure it had not changed timing. When I took the cover off look what I found! The damn timing pickup was growing heavy metal hair & no music to go with it. So I did do the clutch this past month so hopefully the metal is done showing up. I did change the oil after the clutch R&R.Yes the oil did have metal in it. So another thought on all this yes something else could be coming apart, do not want to go there. Here’s my other thought my bike had seemed to be getting lousier fuel mileage & and just not seeming up par. Since I cleaned off the pickup for the timing wheel it does run better of course, it fires up quicker & easier, but it’s got a reconditioned starter in it. So if you’re old Vic just does not seem up to snuff you may check the pickup. Not hard to do & you can cut that metallic hair off with a shop rag. Oh yes my old Victory now has over 62000+ miles. Hope this maybe helps someone else out.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Thanks, good advice.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
I will be sure to keep that in mind. I just switched to a magnetic drain plug at the last change so i am hoping to capture a lot of that hair.

Skin

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Think I will get one of those magnetic drain plugs. Good idea! Thanks.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Good to know. Thanks. LMYR

1 - 5 of 5 Posts