Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that its winter I want to look at upgrading just the speakers (unless someone convinces me otherwise) to the Rockford Fosgate TMS5. Are these going to be an improvement on the 2107 Vision and is it worthwhile doing the two rear speakers also?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I used some kicker speakers in my 2011. Don't know the model but they were good. I'm sure any quality replacement would be better than stock. I would like to know where to get the upgrade that Cadillac bob did on this forum. 6.5" up front would be nice

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
My understanding is if you use the 6.5" speakers you need some sort of adapter ring?
That's correct. Only 5.25 speakers will fit in with no mods. I'm currently using the Polk DB522 (5.25) with a rockford PBR300x4 amp, and I am upgrading the radio this winter. Maybe one of these days I'll toss in some 6.5's :)

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would these adapter rings work?

[ame]https://www.amazon.ca/Harley-Davidson-Roadglide-Factory-Aftermarket-Converter/dp/B00DCJS7HY/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1514179508&sr=8-10&keywords=speaker+adapter+6.5[/ame]

·
Registered
742 Posts
Merry day-after-Christmas everybody, I know these speaker threads of been done to death but since this is just getting started, it’s a good time to say that just adding real nice speakers isn’t going to do much because audiophile speakers also need ample amounts of power to drive them - you’re going to need a high-quality amplifier in the mix, and that’s where people try to save a few bucks and end up sorry (ask me how I know).

The other misconception is that the killer system that sounds so good in your driveway or rolling through the neighborhood is just going to sound like a transistor radio at highway speeds....compounded exponentially by the loudness of your pipes. So you’ve got to have realistic expectations and a realistic budget for yourself. If all you really want to do is sound great while you’re parked at bike night then that’s not terribly hard to do but if you think you’re going to attain rock concert sound while blowing down the highway then you’re going to have to toss us a lot of money at that goal - especially if you’ve modified your pipes - because ironically, a whole bunch of the musical audio spectrum falls in the exact same EQ as a barking Victory 106!

Honestly what I’m leaning toward these days is getting some Bluetooth earbuds that have microphones built in them that can sample the outside environment, popping them in my ears, sticking on my half helmet, and being able to dial-in whatever ratio of music versus outside noise is appropriate so I can hear the traffic around me. And even though those set ups are expensive (well over$300) it’s way cheaper than trying to set up an in-dash Sound system that can do that. I just wont be able to thump at bike night - oh well.

·
Registered
433 Posts
After riding with ear buds forever I am looking forward to this bikes speakers. I have cranked the stock speakers in my garage twice now. I thought they were great.

RF speakers are $300. Kickers are $85 and the Polks 5.25 drop ins are about the same price. Hell even the prices are funny. I know what a high end KBL premium sound system is like in my car with 10 speakers. I guess when spring comes and I get to ride this bike I will know more. RF for sure when the readers choice and $$$.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Merry day-after-Christmas everybody, I know these speaker threads of been done to death but since this is just getting started, it’s a good time to say that just adding real nice speakers isn’t going to do much because audiophile speakers also need ample amounts of power to drive them - you’re going to need a high-quality amplifier in the mix, and that’s where people try to save a few bucks and end up sorry (ask me how I know).

The other misconception is that the killer system that sounds so good in your driveway or rolling through the neighborhood is just going to sound like a transistor radio at highway speeds....compounded exponentially by the loudness of your pipes. So you’ve got to have realistic expectations and a realistic budget for yourself. If all you really want to do is sound great while you’re parked at bike night then that’s not terribly hard to do but if you think you’re going to attain rock concert sound while blowing down the highway then you’re going to have to toss us a lot of money at that goal - especially if you’ve modified your pipes - because ironically, a whole bunch of the musical audio spectrum falls in the exact same EQ as a barking Victory 106!

Honestly what I’m leaning toward these days is getting some Bluetooth earbuds that have microphones built in them that can sample the outside environment, popping them in my ears, sticking on my half helmet, and being able to dial-in whatever ratio of music versus outside noise is appropriate so I can hear the traffic around me. And even though those set ups are expensive (well over$300) it’s way cheaper than trying to set up an in-dash Sound system that can do that. I just wont be able to thump at bike night - oh well.

I have to agree with the sound loss when riding. I didn’t think it would be that bad. @id-man can testify, I had done a whole lot of work with subwoofers, tweeters, etc and it sounded AMAZING- in the garage. At anything more than a stop, all of the fullness disappeared. I’ve since taken those subs out and replaced them with the same ones I have in the front (DB522).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
When Polaris was blowing out anything and everything Victory related I bought both the Extreme Audio kit for the CCT fairing as well as the Extreme Audio Saddlebag kit. Quite frankly, they sound awesome, both in the garage, at slow speeds and even running at elevated speeds on the highway. Being 'factory' plug and play and at the blowout prices were also big factors in my decision to go that route versus after market pieces. Yes, I know after market systems can be put together that out perform the factory stuff. But for the blowout pricing the factory kits could be purchased for, I was fine with it. Now after using it, I'm very happy with the route I chose. I had and have no expectation for audiofile quality at speed on a motorcycle as well. My ears, like the rest of me aren't as young as they used to be and all that as well.

This week I removed the outer and inner fairing to install the Kuryakyn driving light kit I bought at 50% off a few months ago. Hopefully I'll get the time to complete this install by the weekend. Since I have the fairing apart I figured, now would be a good time to 'upgrade' the front 5.25" Extreme Audio speakers. I bought a set of the Kickers from Randy's Cycle in Marengo, IL for under $80 delivered. They should be here before the end of the week. Again, I know I could have likely gone another route with 'upgrading' the front 5.25". But once again, Randy's Cycle in Marengo had them in stock and at the last blowout pricing. I'll support an awesome dealer like Randy's over Best Buy (or other online retailers) each and every time.

Who knows, at some point I may upgrade the factory Extreme Saddlebag 6x9's into something else as well. But, they really do work well as is.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I have to agree with the sound loss when riding. I didn’t think it would be that bad. @id-man can testify, I had done a whole lot of work with subwoofers, tweeters, etc and it sounded AMAZING- in the garage. At anything more than a stop, all of the fullness disappeared. I’ve since taken those subs out and replaced them with the same ones I have in the front (DB522).
I can testify that your system sounded killer and your pipes were not all that loud, sitting in the driveway, but, like mine, everything changes once speed is applied - and it's the wind that does it more than anything - you can't do anything about the wind except put on a full face helmet with an internal headset. That makes so much sense, it's just not my thing, for style or for auditory awareness, I don't want to be isolated from my surroundings by an enclosed helmet - neither do I want to use a sealed earplug that isolates ambient outside noise. That leaves some sort of open-ear solution - OR DOES IT? I actually found one brilliantly cheap solution in the form of a Bluetooth speaker that fits loosely on the outside of the ear, close enough to sound good but loose enough not to completely block ambient sound...a stupid knit cap with speakers that are dirt cheap all over eBay and Amazon for under $20 and actually sound way WAY better than my dash speakers at highway speeds, yet don't make me feel like I'm in a sensory deprivation chamber. The biggest drawback to these is I have a big head so I gotta stretch it down tight and twist it around to get the speakers to align with my ears just right. The other drawback is I have to loosen the strap on my half helmet or it will press on the control buttons and change tracks accidentally mid-song if I move my jaw wrong. But still, it's a stupidly easy solution to an otherwise tuff problem: [ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M4LKR7I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

There are a couple other more elegant solutions I'd like to explore some time too, but I'll have to save up as they're more expensive. One would be what I mentioned in my first post, Bluetooth earbuds that have built-in microphones that can pipe-in whatever amount of ambient outside noise is appropriate for the situation, from full isolation to full immersion, even amplification. Another tech is called 'bone-induction' which doesn't even go into your ears but sits on your temples and sends vibrations into your skull. I have no idea what that's like but I intend to find out someday - love the idea that you would still be able to hear everything happening around you. those solutions are more like $100 to $300+ per rider so they may be a ways off, but with technology, give it 6 months and everything changes. I anticipate a great 2018!!!

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
I have the older Sena SMH10 headset in my full face helmet (Shark Evoline ST 3) that works wonderfully. My wife has the same headset so we have two dongles under the fairing. The Sena systems work great for audio and/or communication. I literally never turned on my CCT external speakers until I bought the Victory audio packages. I agree, at speed, the Sena headset will offer a more direct and undisturbed audio experience than does the fairing and saddlebag audio systems. I use a half helmet in the warmer months which doesn't have a headset mounted in it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
do you want to sell any of the speakers you removed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts