Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upgraded the brakes on my XR recently. I was always unhappy with the initial braking performance with the front and it always felt underpowered. I purchased some EBC brake pads from the dealer and installed them last week. First off replacing brake pads on this bike is ridiculously easy. 1 bolt and a retaining spring, maybe 5 minutes per side. The new pads are awesome, great initial bite when you squeeze the lever, and then good feel as you continue to brake. You can always tell what they are doing. I replaced the rear brake to match, nice improvement there as well, not as much difference in braking power but again the feel and feedback you get is really improved. They definitely made the bike feel more controlled and the reduction in stopping distance is a big safety advantage.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Thanks for the info. I feel the same way regarding my XCT's brakes, and so will probably go the EBC route when the stock pads need replacing.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is such an improvement I would not wait. For the $130 bucks for the pads it is miles and miles better and safer.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
It is such an improvement I would not wait. For the $130 bucks for the pads it is miles and miles better and safer.
Got ya. However, the bike's about to just sit in the garage for the next several months, so this may be an after-holidays purchase.

·
Registered
49 Posts
thanks for the info. that is good to know.

i have the same impression of the stock pads. it always feels like i need to wipe the rotors with brake cleaner - like they are slippery, or something.

not very confidence inspiring.

·
13,262 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I ordered mine from Dennis Kirk there the same as Goldwing pads and paid 86 bucks for the front pair.
Front EBC-FA261HH rear EBC-FA196HH
The funny part is when I was at the dealer he had none and I said there the same as the goldwing do you have them. "no" you can not intercgange parts like that.
https://www.denniskirk.com/ebc/rear-double-h-sintered-metal-pads.p1904760.prd/1904760.sku
Heh, HD and Goldwing are listed as a powersport and not a motorcycle make / model :crzy:

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I just ordered some EBC's for my Suzuki M50 along with a new brake line for a winter time project. If you think the Vics breaks are not so good then you ought to try my M50, terrible brakes. Just one rotor up front and a drum in the back but I was used to it after 4 years. Now after riding the Vic and hopping back on the M50 I almost rear end people because with the Vic I got used to much better brakes.

·
Premium Member
13,729 Posts
These folks have the best price of EBC pads that I've found but make double sure you are getting the right number and don't just go by the model. I did that once and got burned. When I finally realized my mistake they said it had been too long. Fortunately for me; Noemtz was able to work with me on a trade even though he doesn't sell a lot of Vision pads. Thanks again Noe! When I need another set I'll be getting them through Noe...

These are the front X bike pads.

Rear X bike.

And here is what they sent me; Vision front pads.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
These folks have the best price of EBC pads that I've found but make double sure you are getting the right number and don't just go by the model. I did that once and got burned. When I finally realized my mistake they said it had been too long.
It wasn't your mistake. On the website you linked, both X bike's and the Vision's front pads all list the SKU as FA261HH, but the correct ones for the X bikes in your picture show the SKU as FA347HH.

·
Premium Member
13,729 Posts
It wasn't your mistake. On the website you linked, both X bike's and the Vision's front pads all list the SKU as FA261HH, but the correct ones for the X bikes in your picture show the SKU as FA347HH.
I dunno. I told them about the mistake and them may not have even corrected it yet. I think the correct numbers for the X bike where under the Jackpot. AT least at the time. I didn't check right now because I'm not buying right now and have already stated that Noemtz will get that business.

Just trying to help those who are financially hurting like many of us are during the longest great recession in the history of our country is all. Please don't go all political on this thread SB. Just not the place for it.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Its the EBC HH pads that provide the most improvement, I have found.

·
Registered
356 Posts
+1

I consider this a must have upgrade. My buddy and I put these on our XR and XCT before our trip to the dragon this spring and the braking difference is dramatic. It really makes a difference you can feel when loaded up and going through the twisties. The only thing negative I can say about them is that they are louder than stock, and make a faint "sshhhh" sound when on them.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
sshh sound

I would rather hear the sshh sound than the ahh sshh*t sound from not being able to stop in time.thumb up

·
Premium Member
13,729 Posts
I would rather hear the sshh sound than the ahh sshh*t sound from not being able to stop in time.thumb up
I don't know why but I haven't seen or felt the big difference many here have. I don't know why either. I actually have had good results with the stock pads.

A little trick to cut back on the shhhhh sound is to file a bevel on the edges of the pads. It cuts the noise down quite a bit.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The shhh sound is the air being compressed and escaping from the contact area. It is louder than stock because the stock pads had score lines cut in that allowed the air to escape quieter. It also means they are working very well.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm a Lyndall dealer and the Gold pads ROCK on our Vics. Similar to EBC but a little better price.
Plus you guys get 10% off from us. :)

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
I'm a Lyndall dealer and the Gold pads ROCK on our Vics. Similar to EBC but a little better price.
Plus you guys get 10% off from us. :)
Friendly feedback: Finding a needle in a hay stack is faster and easier than finding something on your guys' website. I couldn't find the brake pads. The fact that you have to scroll through never ending pages of unrelated products is frustrating and counterproductive. If you guys don't have a web designer, hire one. If you already have one, hang him! ;)

·
Premium Member
13,729 Posts
The shhh sound is the air being compressed and escaping from the contact area. It is louder than stock because the stock pads had score lines cut in that allowed the air to escape quieter. It also means they are working very well.
I did not know that. Thanks! I learned something new today.

I put some Sixity pads, which are priced way low and available on ebay, on one of my Kingpin's. They make that sound and work very well. Not sure on longevity yet but for anyone on a strict budget; it is something worth looking at. They are about half the price of the EBC's.

CR: I think Will's wife is his web designer so you might want to tread carefully there. ;) I do agree though; it's time for an upgrade to the website to a more user friendly format. I think the cost would soon pay for itself in more orders coming in.

Will: Thanks for the info. Lyndall has a great rep for making top quality pads. In the HD world; they are the king.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Friendly feedback: Finding a needle in a hay stack is faster and easier than finding something on your guys' website. I couldn't find the brake pads. The fact that you have to scroll through never ending pages of unrelated products is frustrating and counterproductive. If you guys don't have a web designer, hire one. If you already have one, hang him! ;)
The site has gotten tougher to navigate after the booming growth the last couple of years. We hope to do something with it in the near future.
We have added a search feature once you're in the store section however.
As for not finding the pads, that's because my wife (and webmaster) was in Europe for 3 weeks doing her thing... she's a pop singer from Madrid.... and since she's gotten back A) I keep forgetting to have her add them, and B) She's been a little buried herself promoting a new single and music video (
) so I can't get it done yet.

Now back on track... In the meantime I do have them all in stock here at the shop for all years and models and for both fronts and rears. $59/set, any style, plus you guys get 10% off.

Now until the site gets tweaked, to make it easier finding your way around, always be sure to be on the website and not in the store when browsing for several reasons. First off, the site is more cleanly broken into categories in the upper sliding flash menu. They're clearly labelled and easy to follow. After going to the entry page of www.CycleOpsUSA.com and click ENTER you come to the main About Us Page (www.cycleopsusa.com/aboutus.html). This is where you start your navigation. If you google us and click the link you'll be put in our store more often than in the site, so go to the above page and bpookmark it to make life easier ion future visits.
Secondly, say billet products for example, are broken down between my inhouse made goods and if you click the top menu listed as "CycleOps USA Parts" you'll see all our proprietary goods. The Aftermarket Parts page is for mostly billet parts we carry from other vendors. The Controls Page has everything to do with foot and hand controls, and so on, with all categories labelled.

The big difference between our store and site is information and illustration. The site has lots of info and tons of pics of parts in different finishes and such, with slideshows and other linked pages with even more photos. From anywhere in the site you can click the 'go to store' and the item you clicked it from will be on the page you're redirected to. The store has only one pic of the item, and with very little additional info.
So to cap it off, use the site to see and learn, and only enter the store when you wish to purchase.
The store menu does have some sections not found on the site, but only for things where limited photos and details aren't important.

I hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts