Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I had an interesting Saturday.
I was on the Ortega Hwy in SoCal when my 2014 XC suddenly got loose and I smelled burning rubber. I thought I blew the rear tire.
I immediately pulled over ( thankfully I was next to a pull out) and found the bike had dropped on the rear tire but the tire was good.
I pulled the seat and the side plates to see if it was something I would be able to fix to find out my lowering link was disconnected at the top.
I called AAA and had to get towed 50 miles home. ( BTW if you don't have AAA RV get it now! It allows for a 100 mile motorcycle tow for free)
On Sunday I watched the Witch Doctor video on installing a lowering link and then replaced the upper bolt with a 10.9 rated bolt. This video was great and thank you Witch Doctors for posting it. It made what i thought was going to be a major job pretty easy

It's the first time I have seen this happen. I think the owner before me may not have used a quality bolt when the Lowering link was installed.
But it might be worth looking at at your next tire change.

I found this half of the bolt resting on the suspension arm.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
WOW! I'm glad you wasn't in a hard curve when the bolt broke.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had just come out of a curve and it let go as the suspension unloaded.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Glad you are OK! I had a similar issue (stock lowering link snapped on the weld). I replaced the stock link with a lowering link found on Amazon (BlackPath). So far everything's been fine with it. My 5'6" frame enjoys finally being able to be flatfoot when stopped.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You were real lucky.
I think I had a Angel riding on my shoulder because I had been pushing it a little hard through the previous 7 miles of curves.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is a picture where it all happened. I was able to turn around after a quick check of the bike and ride it slowly 25 yards to this pull out. Had to do it because there was no shoulder where I first stopped.

·
Registered
82 Posts
"This is now low your bike sits with no suspension!"
Yup, fun to push too.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Whoa. Real glad you made it out of that ok, and that it didn't happen anywhere in those previous 7 miles :)

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Wow. That could have been bad. Glad you got home safe.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
So is it a thru bolt? If so that should be a shouldered bolt. You should never have a bracket or something like that supporting weight on "all thread"

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So is it a thru bolt? If so that should be a shouldered bolt. You should never have a bracket or something like that supporting weight on "all thread"
It was the upper through bolt and your right about the shouldered bolt. I don't think it might have been or it had a short shoulder and it snapped where the shoulder meets the thread. I can't really know for sure since I only have this portion of the bolt and the lowering link was already installed when I bought the bike a year ago.
The bolt I replaced it with is a full shoulder and it's a 10.9 rated bolt which should be more than enough for the application.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well I had an interesting Saturday.
I was on the Ortega Hwy in SoCal when my 2014 XC suddenly got loose and I smelled burning rubber. I thought I blew the rear tire.
I immediately pulled over ( thankfully I was next to a pull out) and found the bike had dropped on the rear tire but the tire was good.
I pulled the seat and the side plates to see if it was something I would be able to fix to find out my lowering link was disconnected at the top.
I called AAA and had to get towed 50 miles home. ( BTW if you don't have AAA RV get it now! It allows for a 100 mile motorcycle tow for free)
On Sunday I watched the Witch Doctor video on installing a lowering link and then replaced the upper bolt with a 10.9 rated bolt. This video was great and thank you Witch Doctors for posting it. It made what i thought was going to be a major job pretty easy

It's the first time I have seen this happen. I think the owner before me may not have used a quality bolt when the Lowering link was installed.
But it might be worth looking at at your next tire change.

I found this half of the bolt resting on the suspension arm.

View attachment 250930
Wow! Unwanted surprise. Happy it turned out okay. Certainly worth the extra $ for the correct fastener.

I bought an aftermarket kick start kit for a 77FLH I owned and broke every nut and bolt in the kit trying to put in on the bike. It was back in 84 when the Asians were moving into selling aftermarket stuff in the U.S. None of the fasteners were hardened, all barn bolts. LOL. The aftermarket retailer took the kit back and I bought one from H-D.

I used to enjoy the Ortega. One had to be there early, before the crotch rockets began their trips to and from Elsinore in what appeared to me to be ongoing attempts at suicide.

Best wishes for many smile filled miles.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I used to enjoy the Ortega. One had to be there early, before the crotch rockets began their trips to and from Elsinore in what appeared to me to be ongoing attempts at suicide.

Best wishes for many smile filled miles.
I found that if you are on the Ortega before 11AM the ride is pretty good. Between 11 and 3 it gets pretty full of bikes and slow cars.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts