Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend with a 2006 Ural with sidehack and no starter action. I learned they have a unique starter with the solenoid incorporated inside. Anyone have some tips for me so I can help my friend?

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
When you say 'no starter action' I assume this means you're getting nothing from the starter when you hit the button. Things I would check in order:

1) Battery
2) Wiring
3) Starter Button/Switch
3) Starter Solenoid
4) Starter rotation

Three and four likely require removal of the starter. If you put current across the starter terminals directly, does anything happen? Also check the button itself. See if you can somehow bypass the switch and see if that might be the culprit.

·
Registered
889 Posts
It should be pretty simple to isolate with a meter. If what you are saying is true you should see the battery direct 12v at the starter and control leads to the solenoid. First step,,,give it a hit with the handle of a screw driver. After that, look for the volts.

By the way, simply as a guess, with the solenoid built into the starter I would suspect the solenoid is using the same power lead as the starter which would further lead me to think the control lead from the starter button is supplying the ground. Backwards from what we would consider standard. Again, just a guess.

P.S.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=ural+wiring+diagram&rlz=1C1CHBF_enCA772CA772&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi2zri_9tXbAhVhNH0KHXMsD5oQsAQIJg&biw=1581&bih=863

https://www.google.ca/search?q=ural+motorcycle+starter&rlz=1C1CHBF_enCA772CA772&oq=ural+motorcycle+starter&aqs=chrome..69i57.8805j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

·
Registered
12,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. Good info,especially the videos. I also went into a Ural forum called "Soviet Steeds" and learned a lot there. Going to see the bike later today. Fingers crossed.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. Good info,especially the videos. I also went into a Ural forum called "Soviet Steeds" and learned a lot there. Going to see the bike later today. Fingers crossed.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
12,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went there, fixed it, came back home, thanks to the tips you guys gave me and the guys on the Soviet Stallion forum. One of the things I came across in my research was that the ignition lock can cause problems and it did! The neat thing about Urals is they may break down almost as much as a Harley, but they are stupid easy to fix. Even the ignition lock comes off and apart easily and once opened, the problem was easy to spot.
When testing it, you had to wiggle it just so to make a brief contact. Inside, there is a plastic bar with a couple of spring loaded "wipers" one on each end and one of the wipers was stuck in a retracted position, not making good, or any contact. Some judicious bending of the tabs gave it back its springy-ness. Reassemble and install and Voila! Problem fixed.
Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Glad to see a Happy to this .. While I think the Ural Sidecars Look Cool , have been told by a pretty good source unless I like tinkering and wrenching on the Bike the way I did on my Old Panhead the Ural is not the bike to Have ..

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
I have a friend with a 2006 Ural with sidehack and no starter action. I learned they have a unique starter with the solenoid incorporated inside. Anyone have some tips for me so I can help my friend?
Just wanted to comment on you using the word sidehack. Seldom here that word anymore. When I do it's from old time bikers. I bet that many that read your post had no idea of what you were talking about.
Sidehack=sidecar

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
There are a couple Ural riders here in Indy. Hilarious when we had the blizzard few years ago the TV reporter had a WTF reaction to the Ural riding the interstate behind them.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've got a hanker'n for a hack. Been reading about them the past couple years on the ADV site. I think they're cool. Would like to have one for local putz'n around.

·
Registered
12,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good info DaveT. The first thing I did was run a heavy gauge jumper wire from the battery positive to the exposed terminal on the solenoid and the starter spun. So the starter is OK.
Then put that jump wire on the battery side of the solenoid and the starter spun. Solenoid is OK.
Needed to turn ignition switch on to check the relay and nothing - no lights, no neutral light, nothing. Wiggled the key and things did not feel right, so I removed the lock, took it apart (easy to do) and saw the problem and repaired it (also easy to do).
Would I buy a Ural if I had an opportunity to get one on the cheap? You bet! As an old timey wrench spinner, it would keep my tools and me happily busy. They are made so that farmer Vladimir can do a roadside repair somewhere in Siberia or Kazakhstan or Minsk with nothing but a screwdriver and hammer....almost.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Don't they have a kicker?
Wouldve thought primitive Russian machinery would still have one ..

·
Registered
12,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't they have a kicker?
Wouldve thought primitive Russian machinery would still have one ..
Yup, it has a kicker. But its no good if the ignition won't turn on. :crying

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Yup, it has a kicker. But its no good if the ignition won't turn on. :crying
Run a wire positive battery to positive coil and youll have ignition.

·
Registered
12,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hear ya, but my object was to get it up and running normally for my friend. So he can stick a key in the lock, turn it and hit the starter and it runs. Had to find the culprit that prevented it from doing all that.

·
Premium Member
6,035 Posts
I just LOVE the URALS , i would like to have one, but they are 45k USD here for the 2 wheel drive ..... I have subscribed to there webforum too ....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts