Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I need some urgent advice. I have put my bike in with HD to get a few parts put on (I know, I know but there are no Vic Dealers in Scoland). All bolt ons. I supplied all of parts. Oil, Indicators, Kewl Metal brackets, RPW Baffles, Timing Wheel (I set it with loctite too), reusable gasket, Ness Grips & Pegs and the 1/4 throttle. I even supplied them with the Service Manual on a USB as well. Now this place also sells Used Victories sometimes so they aren't totally unfamiliar with them. Bear in mind my bike has only 1200 miles on it and is as new.

This is the exact list I gave them:

1. New Grips and pegs put on

2. 1/4 turn throttle ring. This is the 1/4 turn throttle ring that I want to put on my bike when the grips go on. It just shortens the twist of it.

3. Timing Wheel Installed. It just gets some loctite put on the centre bolt and gets torqued to 17 foot pounds.

4. New cover put over timing wheel - I have a new Reusable Gasket as well in the bottom of the box under a protective bit of cardboard.

5. Please install black aluminium bolts around the above as well using the anti-seize. I have a bag of them.

6. Remove Baffles and install new ones - If possible can you please put in new O Rings on my exhaust Heat shields and a new nut where my exhaust bolts to the engine - Mine look a bit rusty. I have new gaskets as well if the pipes had to come off.

7. Please remove 02 sensors and tape up the sockets. I have new 02 Bungs to go in the pipes.

8. Please install Forward Controls and remove crash bars.

9. Please install Bullet Indicators - Please be aware the the polarity can be reversed in the wiring for this. Don't trust the colours as if they are back the front (which I am told they are) it will blow the ECM

10. Please do Oil change and install new K&P Filter (please keep the old one) and install magnetic drain plug. The Air Filter is brand new so doesn't need changed.

11. Please check spark plugs and brake fluid if necessary (should be fine as my bike is near new)

12. Please install rear axle cover

Does anyone want to have a guess at how long this should all take and cost? I need to know before I take issue with the bill tomorrow when I collect my bike.

Hope to hear from you all soon!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I don't know how it works in Scotland. But here in the states the shop would have given a quote. And if they ran into something that needed to be addressed they call for price approval.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I don't know how it works in Scotland. But here in the states the shop would have given a quote. And if they ran into something that needed to be addressed they call for price approval.
Agreed , I would have definitely asked for a quote before hand . It sounds like you couldn't have made it any easier for them either . This could be costly for you Big T , depends on how they run their shop , and if they want you as a repeat customer or not ....

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The issue I have is that I work for the same motor group that owns them too so I need to be careful. I didn't think I needed a quote really as I know them all quite well. They have had my bike 5 weeks as well.

·
Registered
144 Posts
HD dealer

EWWWW!....I'm sorry, but when I read this it was like someone dragging fingernails across a blackboard! :eek:

Never...never...NEVER!...leave a bike without an estimate...EVER! :soapbox:....sorry, but I had to shout to make that "sound" stop! :(

I realize that it's certainly none of my business, but, now that I have calmed down, I would suggest that you call them first thing in the morning, and get an estimate...and be seated when you call.

I'm sure everything will be "fine".

Good luck! thumb up

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
The issue I have is that I work for the same motor group that owns them too so I need to be careful. I didn't think I needed a quote really as I know them all quite well. They have had my bike 5 weeks as well.
Big T , why the urgency if you feel everything is in control , 5 weeks is a heck of a long time to have your bike , were you storing it there too ?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They aren't storing it. It has taken them this long to do it. I'm going down there to argue the bill but wanted to get your thoughts first to see if I'm not getting carried away.

The said my bike was clocked onto for...wait for it...18.6 hours! They said it was a pain in the arse. They said the hardest thing was the LED signal as they had to redo all the wiring or something. I supplies them with the mounts, indicators and the relays to suit as well.

The said the will reduce it to 10 hours since I'm staff and reduce the rate as well. The said a retail customer would have been charged £1400 ($2,350 US) for this work but are doing it for £420 ($700US)

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Well , I can certainly see why you are fairly alarmed here .... That amount of time seems very unrealistic , as I have done most of this to my own bike in less time then that .... Good luck Big T , I hope they don't rake you over the coals financially ...

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you think £420 sounds fair? When trying to justify it in the phone they said it was all little things but they add up and did I know just an oil change on a HD is 3.5 hours. I said I know and that is why I bought a Victory! Has to be the easiest oil change ever. I would of done it myself but I needed a stamp for warranty.

·
Administrator
5,977 Posts
... Has to be the easiest oil change ever. I would of done it myself but I needed a stamp for warranty.
No, you don't need a stamp. All you need is proof of purchasing the oil in the form of a receipt.

·
13,177 Posts
I would say from your list a good 8 hours in time. Don't know what they charge a hour but here its $95 bucks.

Grips 1 hr
timing wheel 1/2 hr
spark plugs oil change break fluid 1 hr
baffles 1 1/2 hr
forward controls 1 3/4 hr
remove crash bar 20 min
lights don't know

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Just an old man's observations here, now that the horse is gone from the barn.
Big Tav, if you know which end of the screwdriver is the handle, why aren't you doing these things yourself? You were able to locate the instructions and videos, so you are aware of the procedures. Had you started a thread asking for help doing those projects, I don't know of anyone here who would have refused. Good Lord man, I'm 77 and do all my own work on my XR and I'm no bike or car mechanic, just know how to use tools. Thanks dad. Had you asked for our help, you'd be riding your modded Vic now and have a lot more cash in your wallet. My apologies for butting in here, but it looks to me like you made a lumpy bed and have to sleep in it. Next time, ask us--we're here to help mate.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Big Tav, if you know which end of the screwdriver is the handle, why aren't you doing these things yourself? You were able to locate the instructions and videos, so you are aware of the procedures. Had you started a thread asking for help doing those projects, I don't know of anyone here who would have refused. Good Lord man, I'm 77 and do all my own work on my XR and I'm no bike or car mechanic, just know how to use tools. Thanks dad. Had you asked for our help, you'd be riding your modded Vic now and have a lot more cash in your wallet. My apologies for butting in here, but it looks to me like you made a lumpy bed and have to sleep in it. Next time, ask us--we're here to help mate.
I agree 100% :I agree: Well stated Ric , I think he could have achieved most of these mods himself ...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm much more impressed with the fact you are 77 and riding !!
Much respect !
Peter

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
I'm a mere child compared to some I ride with. One guy is 89 and does long distance events.

·
Registered
223 Posts
You are worried about an oil change voiding your warranty. You better worry about your warranty with a non victory shop screwing with the wiring. After market parts are usually plug and play. If it's going to be more than that, you need to get it to a factory approved shop to protect the warranty. Live and learn good luck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Led Indicators

there have been some posts about the indicator wiring causing issues when changing to LED aftermarket indicators. Having worked on cars and bikes myself at home and in a workshop setting, I have to state that there is a huge difference between a good, but cheap at-home modification and an 'auto electrician at the workshop' job.
Quotes like 'it takes as long as it takes, and the hours are payable' spring to mind - getting a $ 1000 bill for what appeared to be job worth $100 at home, and expecting to pay maybe $ 200 in the shop.
And then there are the markups, consumables, miscellaneous.

I have been surprised often, unfortunately. Having mods done by a shop not used to the work can be ..... eye opening?

Wanted a louder horn installed on my Ducati Monster at a Ducati dealer in LA. Well, in the end it did not happen - WAAAY too hard (the had the bike 2 weeks, while I was abroad).
cheers

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree that I could have done a lot myself but I work 6 days a week and really long hours and my garage is tiny! My tools are also very limited.

The main reason is that since there are no Vic Dealers in the whole of Scotland I thought having a stamp in the book might preserve the warranty. I know that an oil change is easy but since there is no support here I just wanted to do all I could to protect myself.

Expensive lesson though…

1 - 20 of 27 Posts