Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be heading across Idaho, Montana, and North Dakota in May on my way to Madawaska ME, and would like any info (i.e. hotels, areas to avoid, rest stops, etc). I will be coming across I-90.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Going to be heading across Texas in May on my way back from Key West FL, and would like any info (i.e. hotels, areas to avoid, rest stops, etc). I will be coming across I-10 West.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Going to be heading across Montana and North Dakota in May on my way to Salt Ste Marie MN, and would like any info (i.e. hotels, areas to avoid, overnight/rest stops, etc). I may dip down into South Dakota and pay a visit to Sturgis time permitting. I will be coming across I-90 East.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
Can't tell you about anything specific, just some general travel tips from an experienced man of the road.
Lodging: 1. Pick up motel/hotel coupon books at rest stops, truck plazas, Denny's and other fast food joints near freeways. Great savings in them. 2. I use Choice hotels mostly cuz they have frequent promos that net you free stays and/or more points toward one. Get a rewards card, get an AMA/Choice ID number and make your reservations with CRS (central reservation system). 3. Sign up for Best Western's Ride Rewards - its through HOG, but you don't have to be a member, just go into their site and look for it. 4. Hook up with Windham Rewards as they represent many familiar hotels/motels. Put every CRS 800 number in your phone as you will usually get lower prices there than at the hotel desk. Coupons, however, will be even lower...usually.
Rest Stops: I avoid ones that appear to be empty or have too few people there. There's safety in numbers.
Hope this helped.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Going to be heading into MN from ND on my to Sault Ste Marie crossing into Canada in May on my way to Madawaska ME, and would like any info (i.e. hotels, areas to avoid, rest stops, etc). I am particularly interested in Canada.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Going to be heading back to San Diego from Key West FL via FL, AL, LA, MS in May, and would like any info (i.e. hotels, areas to avoid, overnight/rest stops, etc). Will be heading west on I-10 most of the way back.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Going to be heading down to Key West FL from Madawaska ME in May, and would like any info (i.e. hotels, areas to avoid, overnight/rest stops, etc). Very much want to avoid the high traffic metropolitan areas, but would still like to stay on the Interstate for time reasons.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Going to be heading down to Key West FL from Madawaska ME in May, and would like any info (i.e. hotels, areas to avoid, overnight/rest stops, etc). I am also looking for info coming across Canada from Sault Ste Marie MN to Edmundston CA. Very much want to avoid the high traffic metropolitan areas, but would still like to stay on the Interstate for time reasons.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Going to be heading down to Key West FL from Madawaska ME in May, and would like any info (i.e. hotels, areas to avoid, overnight/rest stops, etc). Very much want to avoid the high traffic metropolitan areas, but would still like to stay on the Interstate for time reasons.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Going to be heading down to Key West FL from Madawaska ME in May, and would like any info (i.e. hotels, areas to avoid, overnight/rest stops, etc). Very much want to avoid the high traffic metropolitan areas, but would still like to stay on the Interstate for time reasons. Time permitting may want to pop in and check out OCC.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I dont think you posted this in enough forums. Try five more, just for fun.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Oh what a joy for me to merge a dozen threads on the same subject.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why would I ask someone from the NE (i.e. New York) for info about riding across Montana??????? Must have missed your sense of humor (if there was any humor).......

Should have stuck to a more intelligent forum, but thanks for all the great info "so-crates"!

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Why would I ask someone from the NE (i.e. New York) for info about riding across Montana?
Threads are divided by subjects. That's how we keep the forum organized. Your tread is not location specific, as you might get good tips about your trip from someone who lives in Alaska, who's done the same or similar route, who might have some great insight for you. ;)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Crossroads,

Do not concur with your comment that my threads were not "location specific". I posted them under "North America Regional Forums" / "PAC NW, PAC SW, Midwest, Gulf States, etc", and mentioned "specific" States in the actual thread, so not sure how much more specific I can get.

It sure doesn't make sense to me to put these "specific" geographic threads under the "Riders Lounge" / "Victory Forums Lounge".

Not how it is done on the *** Site, but it is what it is, so thanks.

R/
Strike

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Crossroads,

Do not concur with your comment...
You are not going to flood the forum with the same thread. I understand you're new to this forum and you probably don't see the whole picture, but if I understand that, so should you. Trust me, it's better this way for both you and the rest of the forum users.

Not how it is done on the *** Site, but it is what it is, so thanks.
Well then, by all means, go flood the other sites, where they allow you to do so. cheers

FYI, the "Active Topics" link is frequently used by most members here, a feature your other sites don't have, and therefore they care less if you lay the same egg in a dozen places. Here, if we see the same egg too often, the egg spoils - and we don't like spoiled eggs. :D

·
Registered
693 Posts
When you're coming across MN along I-90, there really isn't a whole lot to see. The very southern portion of MN is pretty flat and boring so it'll mostly be a good time make up time on the slab. If you're so inclined, you can head south from I-90 at Jackson about 20 miles to Spirit Lake, IA. This, of course, is where Victories are produced. If you're that close, might be worth a stop in. Check ahead for tours.

On the eastern side of the state, there are a couple of semi interesting spots to stop if you're interested. Austin, MN is the home of Spam. Some people get a kick out of things like that. Rochester, MN is also just off of I-90 and is a nice little city that's home to the world renowned Mayo Clinic.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When you're coming across MN along I-90, there really isn't a whole lot to see. The very southern portion of MN is pretty flat and boring so it'll mostly be a good time make up time on the slab. If you're so inclined, you can head south from I-90 at Jackson about 20 miles to Spirit Lake, IA. This, of course, is where Victories are produced. If you're that close, might be worth a stop in. Check ahead for tours.

On the eastern side of the state, there are a couple of semi interesting spots to stop if you're interested. Austin, MN is the home of Spam. Some people get a kick out of things like that. Rochester, MN is also just off of I-90 and is a nice little city that's home to the world renowned Mayo Clinic.
AlStensby,

Thanks for the info, I will definitely keep visiting the Victory Factory in mind, didn't know it was that close.

Thanks.

·
Registered
693 Posts
AlStensby,

Thanks for the info, I will definitely keep visiting the Victory Factory in mind, didn't know it was that close.

Thanks.
Just make sure you plan ahead for it. They do tours, but not all the time so timing it out will be important.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Rest Area

Rest area in Arizona on I-10 near MP 310 is in a place called Texas Canyon, very scenic, should not have any problems there. From there westbound, Tucson is about an hour where you will find Arizona Victory 1/2 block off of I-10 in town if you need them. BTW, welcome, and chill a little regarding the forum, I am new here too but have found it to be a great place with good folks. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts