Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just curious, do you use the floorboard to get on a XC from either the right or left? Or do you not use the floorboards?

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Just curious, do you use the floorboard to get on a XC from either the right or left? Or do you not use the floorboards?
I weigh 230 and I mount from either side and have used the floorboards. I try to get my upper body over the bike before swing my leg over. You can use either side, just practice common sense :)

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
No go on the floorboards here....I leg over her like a little horsie

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
Yes I use the floorboard in both getting on and off.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Nope Stand on ground, throw leg up and over, stand bike up. Flip kick stand up and start bike. I do find it odd this bike does not have a side-stand switch to not allow you to ride off with the side stand down though.

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
That's what the rubber thingy on the stand is for.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
So you standardly use the floorboards to mount the bike? (I'm 6'3'' 290#)
I HAVE used the boards from both sides, but not regularly. It depends on how cramped things are and which side of the bike is available (parking in my garage is complicated at times :)) . I do what PaiN does usually... swing th ol' leg over, like mounting a horse.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
My wife is 5'2" ...so she uses the the rear SwingWings to mount up every time she gets on.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
I mount from the ground - never from the floorboards.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Ground here. Riding gear on, helmet on, key on with the left hand as I'm swinging right leg over. As soon as the right foot is on the ground the bike's coming off the sidestand and the starter button is getting pushed. That's the warn bike start. When she's cold I start her and warm her up as I'm gearing up.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I don't have floorboards, just pegs on my Jackpot, But I have always been leery of putting all my weight on a single point on a bike that is standing on a separate single point. Maybe I don't get how well balanced the bike actually is and how much forethought the engineers put into the placement of both the side stand and the pegs. In my mind, I can just see this bike tumbling over on top of me. These bikes lean over pretty stinking far when they are on the kickstand anyway, so it just kinda freaks me out. It doesn't help that I seldom park on a perfect surface (sloping asphalt, or gravel often). I don't need to add my menial 155 pounds to the side of the bike that is already leaning way over and watch 1 of the few pleasures in my life come tumbling down.

That's a whole bunch of **** to say "no", LOL. And none of it matters, cuz mine are just pegs on a completely different bike.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
That's what the rubber thingy on the stand is for.
Soooo the rubber thing hanging off the sidestand is supposed to keep you from putting it in gear and leaving down? Hmm different train of thought I guess. I have caught myself doing it once or twice, but lucky for me, before I rode off.

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
Soooo the rubber thing hanging off the sidestand is supposed to keep you from putting it in gear and leaving down? Hmm different train of thought I guess. I have caught myself doing it once or twice, but lucky for me, before I rode off.
The purpose of the rubber foot on the stand is, if you take off with the stand down, it contacts the ground and puts the stand up. It works very well and don't ask me how I know. :)

·
13,002 Posts

·
Premium Member
779 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
30 something years ago I was kickstarting my XS650/750 kitted outside a local pub one night after an extended drinking session.:laugh
Mounted the bike ok as I recall, turned on the fuel, then pulled in the clutch lever and gave it one light kick to free the clutch plates.
Turned on the ignition and put all my weight on the kickstarter.
The bike didn't start and fell over to the right, trapping me underneath it:frown
Highly amused mates picked the bike up off me and I had another drink.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts