Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In your experience is it better to buy a ten year old bike with 2,500 miles or 10,000? Am I just being crazy? Thanks:confused:

·
Registered
526 Posts
10 years and 2500 miles=a lot of sitting around

·
Registered
223 Posts
For me it would depend how they were stored. They both could have bad fuel issues, weather checked tires and bad batterys. In 10 years neither have very many miles.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I don't think you should base it on miles. I have a coworker that has a pristeen OLD sportster that he fires up and maintains every weekend with VERY low milage. It's just like 06Vic said, how are they stored?

I put 10K on my TC in less then 7 months after I bought it so I think if you go by milage you may be deciving yourself. My 04 was garage kept, dealer maintained ridin in the summer and as a comuter with about 22K on it when I bought it. As great as shape as it was, still put almost 800 into it getting it up to speed for everyday riding.

Look for signs of dry rot, check service records, and talk to the owner to get a feel for his riding it. A new batt, tires and tune up may yeild an awsome ride! If your handy with your wrench, this forum could easily get you up and running I think if you did run into any problems. Of course, price is everything too! Me and the seller split the 800 on my bike as part of the sale.

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
112 Posts
In your experience is it better to buy a ten year old bike with 2,500 miles or 10,000? Am I just being crazy? Thanks:confused:
Remember too these aren't sportbikes. They use touring tires not race tires, have lower compression engines, and are typically owned by people over the age of 40 who take better care of them and don't ride these bikes as hard. However rubber is rubber and heat and weather will take it's toll on that first. IMO I would take the bike with 2,500 miles

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bike looks good. Dealer "went thru bike & it is road ready" :rolleyes:
Offered to pick me up at the airport so I can ride it home. I would hope he is confident in the bike before he would stick his neck out.
Of course I know he would have no liability when I drove off his lot.
Was a wife's bike, that explains the low miles. Trying to keep my emotions out of this. I have not been this excited about buying myself something for 20+ years.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
What bike

What bike is it you're looking at? Just curious.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Bike looks good. Dealer "went thru bike & it is road ready" :rolleyes:
Offered to pick me up at the airport so I can ride it home. I would hope he is confident in the bike before he would stick his neck out.
Of course I know he would have no liability when I drove off his lot.
Was a wife's bike, that explains the low miles. Trying to keep my emotions out of this. I have not been this excited about buying myself something for 20+ years.
C'mon Putput, some of us CAN'T go buy another VIC at the moment and only have people like you in the process to feed the addiction. Post a pic, something about the bike more than the miles, something!

LOL... Congrats and remember to take the items you need for the road during the ride home, sun bloc, lip balm, etc... Don't for get the pic!

·
Registered
223 Posts
You should try to get the dealer to throw in a 12 month after market warranty. Just in case they missed something. After all your taking the leap of faith buy spending money to fly there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You should try to get the dealer to throw in a 12 month after market warranty. Just in case they missed something. After all your taking the leap of faith buy spending money to fly there.
Is that something that they do or would even consider on a 9 year old bike?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Is that something that they do or would even consider on a 9 year old bike?
It won't hurt to ask. They might on the milage. And you need to make it sound like it would be the ticket to seal the deal. If they say no, tell them you'll need to think it over. Make sure they have your number and hang up. Then wait a few days. If that bikes not moving and they want it gone. They will call. Or you cave in and tell them you thought it over let's roll. Any way it goes good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts