Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to let you guys know that even though some of the links reguarding the AMSoil forum distributer seem old, I was able to reach him by his email. His name is Bob Schultz and even though he was at a show promoting his product, he took the time to take my order (6 guarts of 20w50 and an amsoil filter) for my 05 kingpin.
Total of everything 76.00. No shipping charge , just tax and the product. I think the oil filter from amsoil was about 12-14 dollars which up'd the price a bit but I think i received a much better deal then going to the actual amsoil site where my purchase was closer to 90.00

Id recommend Bob to whomever likes that oil. He's a good guy.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Just wanted to let you guys know that even though some of the links reguarding the AMSoil forum distributer seem old, I was able to reach him by his email. His name is Bob Schultz and even though he was at a show promoting his product, he took the time to take my order (6 guarts of 20w50 and an amsoil filter) for my 05 kingpin.
Total of everything 76.00. No shipping charge , just tax and the product. I think the oil filter from amsoil was about 12-14 dollars which up'd the price a bit but I think i received a much better deal then going to the actual amsoil site where my purchase was closer to 90.00

Id recommend Bob to whomever likes that oil. He's a good guy.
Does he sell new clutches?wacwac

·
12,984 Posts
noobiepin
Your profile doesn't say where you live so I don't know but I went to fleet farm to day and paid $10.45 a quart. You can go to auto zone and buy a purolator oil filter for $9.95.
Amsoil doesn't screw up clutches. You can not keep changing different brads of oil in your bike. That's what makes clutches go bad. Barnett the largest clutch plate manufacture for motorcycle tells you that amsoil does not hurt there plates. Mater of fact die fram clutch spring and clutch come out of cars.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry fellas, just now took the time to complete some personal information about myself. Im in San Antonio Texas. The bike in my profile is the 05 kingpin I just bought a month ago. There was no previous information about the service on this bike except that it was lady driven and she took care of it and had it serviced at a yamaha dealership where she worked. I dont even know what kind of oil they put in it before I bought it. It does have a polaris oil filter.

For right know, im just a casual driver, that is until I cant afford to keep my truck filled up with the price of gas. I thought AMSoil was a solid rated oil and after reading tons of posts on here, figured id go with that and stay that way. I try to treat my vehicles right and take care of them. I think I payed about $10 a quart and chose to pay $14 for the amsoil premium filter.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
noobiepin
Your profile doesn't say where you live so I don't know but I went to fleet farm to day and paid $10.45 a quart. You can go to auto zone and buy a purolator oil filter for $9.95..
$2.46 a quart more the Vic
Amsoil doesn't screw up clutches. You can not keep changing different brads of oil in your bike. That's what makes clutches go bad. Barnett the largest clutch plate manufacture for motorcycle tells you that amsoil does not hurt there plates..
Many Vics do not like full synth oils of any brand, and it DOES cause slipping with agressive riders. Seen it to many times.
Mater of fact die fram clutch spring and clutch come out of cars.
Please point out any car that uses a wet clutch in a manual transmission. Auto trans systems lock up multiple packs with a hydraulicly aplied pressure plate a good 3-4 times the force available on our bikes

·
Registered
243 Posts
welcome noobie , amsoil is gud stuff, i have used it in my other non vic bike with no problems, after the breakin i have used it entirely in my 09 Vegas engine is quieter, trans shifts sweet, and some people say they have a hard time finding neutral, they should ride mine , finding neutral is a breeze.

steve cheers

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
$2.46 a quart more the Vic

Many Vics do not like full synth oils of any brand, and it DOES cause slipping with agressive riders. Seen it to many times.

Please point out any car that uses a wet clutch in a manual transmission. Auto trans systems lock up multiple packs with a hydraulicly aplied pressure plate a good 3-4 times the force available on our bikes
Ok Kevin. I don't convince easily but I trust you so from now on I'm using Victory Brand oil.

Damn it man! I was saving some money till now Kevin!!

Thanks though; the last thing any of us want to do is trash our engine's because we didn't listen to the folks that know best.

Kinda interesting how the Vic motor's are so different from many of the other V-Twin's on the market right now.

Thanks again for keeping us (know-it-all's) in line with this (new-to-us) V-Twin.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Ok Kevin. I don't convince easily but I trust you so from now on I'm using Victory Brand oil.

Damn it man! I was saving some money till now Kevin!!

Thanks though; the last thing any of us want to do is trash our engine's because we didn't listen to the folks that know best.

Kinda interesting how the Vic motor's are so different from many of the other V-Twin's on the market right now.

Thanks again for keeping us (know-it-all's) in line with this (new-to-us) V-Twin.
There are several good semi synth oils on the market, and I have never seen or heard of a semi causing clutch issues

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So Kevinx, what your saying is I just waisted my money on a full synthetic that probably (maybe 60%) will cause a problem. Is there any indication that older 92 motors are more willing to take the full synthetic?

The vic oil in my area was 11.99 /quart

And as Im writing this , my amsoil just got delivered.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
If I am gonna have to put a percentage down on it. I would say closer to 10% then 60%, but still high enough for me to have a problem with it. I have no idea why some have a problem, and some run it forever with no issue. However I THINK it has to do with agressive riders that are quick on the clutch.
At $11 a quart you are being robbed for Vic oil

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, just for the hell of it, I drained the oil in my bike over the weekend and swapped out the polaris oil filter. I started on the road to using amsoil and their filter. So far after about 80 miles on it , ill admit to a somewhat quieter engine/trans.

Im just an occasional rider , usually on the weekends so it will take some time to see if my ride likes the new fluid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been a Amsoil dealer for a few years and always use it in my bikes with no oil related issues. Even my ZX14 which I run at the drags occasionally. I just did the first oil change on my new XC and after a couple hundred miles it seems fine. Amsoil motorcycle oil has friction modifiers designed to work in wet clutch transmissions. There shouldn't be any problems with running a full synthetic, it will react to heat better and will not lose it molecular structure as quickly.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I have been a Amsoil dealer for a few years and always use it in my bikes with no oil related issues. Even my ZX14 which I run at the drags occasionally. I just did the first oil change on my new XC and after a couple hundred miles it seems fine. Amsoil motorcycle oil has friction modifiers designed to work in wet clutch transmissions. There shouldn't be any problems with running a full synthetic, it will react to heat better and will not lose it molecular structure as quickly.
You see, this is why this issue will never get settled. Vic mechanics recommend the Vic oil, and Amsoil dealers recommend Amsoil. We're chasing the tail, and we're almost catching... Another inch or so and we're there! :ltr:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well to be more impartial, before I sold Amsoil. Mobile 1 full synthetic was my choice and I didn't have any problems with that either. I have found that through sampling that the Amsoil does hold up a bit longer than the others. Royal Purple and Castrol also make excellant full and blended oils made for bikes. So try a few different brands and see what works best for you and stick with it. It doesn't hurt anything, and what little residual oil that is left in the engine at a service will mix just fine with a different brand. In fact Amsoil states that if you need to add between services and use a different oil you will be ok. The only thing it does is dilutes their formula and you may not get the extended service interval advantage. This would probably apply more to a car since on a bike we already have a fairly short service interval.

·
Registered
51 Posts
IMO, I'm going to put in my bike the same stuff I used in my VTX, though it'll be a different viscosity...

I used Mobil1 M4RacingT 10w40 in that bike...this bike I'll use the V-Twin 20w50 variant, and a mobil1 filter (appears to be the M1-110 size filter at first glance)

*IF* I have a problem with the clutches slipping, I'll switch to a semi-synth...possibly the Vic oil, but probably not...20w50 weight oils, for the most part, will not have the EPA friction reducers that oils like the 10w40's sometimes have, and the 5w30/5w20 oils definately do...

·
Registered
156 Posts
you all must really be changing the oil allot to be worried about the 10 bucks difference Vics oil cost. I paid 70 bucks last fall for a oil change kit from victory. Geesh pay all that cash to modify and ride it and not use the recommended oil seems foolish. penny wise pound foolish.

·
Registered
567 Posts
you all must really be changing the oil allot to be worried about the 10 bucks difference Vics oil cost. I paid 70 bucks last fall for a oil change kit from victory. Geesh pay all that cash to modify and ride it and not use the recommended oil seems foolish. penny wise pound foolish.
Of course....you MUST use only Victory oil, and then ONLY Victory after market accessories, and of course only Victory sponsored fuel...and only drive it to Victory events.....I know this to be true because Victory reps say it is.......:crzy:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts