Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The gas gages on these things are useless. the last month ort so i noticed my low gas ligh coming on and the gage showing close to empty at about 150 miles. I fill up and it only takes around 4 gallons. wtf. glad i dont rely on these gages. i still use the trip odometer to judge when to fill.
anyone else think these gages are useless ? ( well maybe not TOTALLY)

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
This is an old topic that has been beaten to death. Yes the gas gauge sucks but at least it is consistent. Mine has always taken 4 gallons when the low gas light come on and has never deviated from that. I don't care what the gas gauge says, I still go off my trip meter to let me know how much gas I have burned.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
I noticed on my 3 hour trip home the gas gauge is funky. The needle went from passed Full, to below half, then to Empty/ has light on. Mind you, I'm on the highway with the cruise set at 70. Rpm fluctuated from 3000 to 3500, depending on the hills. I assumed the needle would drop consistently, but it didnt. I would also like to note that I was constantly checking out the gauges because everything was new and unfamiliar. Once my Range hit 50 miles left, the light came on. I, too, only needed a shade over 4 gallons to fill up my bike.

·
Super Moderator
4,949 Posts
Typical, mine also doesn't slowly drop it falls.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
yep its just as useless as every other vehicle out there, and just as reliable as the dash readouts. and it sounds like yours is right on, the light is suppose to come on with around 2 gallons left.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
As you said, it's not completely useless, but it doesn't work as it should. It does meet the low bar of expectation that I had from my previous bike (a Royal Star Venture). The needle sits on F for a long time, then drops quickly, and finally plummets when it gets down the the final quarter. When it hits empty, there is still a reserve fuel supply in the tank. For those of us who have been riding bikes with carburetors, no fuel gauge and a three-way fuel petcock, that reserve supply may make some sense.

I suppose this uneven behavior is due to the odd shape of most motorcycle fuel tanks. If we had level rectangular boxes to hold the gas, a steady gauge would be easy to construct. In this day of computers, an intelligent reading could be programmed, but Victory has not done the work. Just consider the inaccuracy of your digital read-outs, will be apparent.

All I can suggest is to do what I do. Know that when the needle starts to move, then between a third and a half of the fuel is gone. Quick progress of the needle after that will show the next third of the fuel supply being used. When it gets to the bottom, that's a good time to refuel, but you're not empty. That works for me, in populated areas, where there is always a gas station nearby. When I ride across the country, so that I may not see a gas station for a long stretch, then I start looking to refuel when the needle gets to the halfway mark - after about 140 miles. Just learn how your gauge actually reads and work with it.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
The fuel gauge is good for an estimation. Don't look at it like a percentage, it clearly doesn't work like that. However, when it goes low, you have time to get to a fuel station.

Think about where the fuel pump and float is located in the tank. It seems to me that it can't possibly give you a full range from where its sitting.

When in doubt, use your trip odometer. Refuel at 180-190 miles. Problem solved.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Just remember it's always better to fill about a bit too early than a bit too late.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
This is exactly what one of your trip odometers is for. Set one at zero when filling up, you know your mpg, so when the light comes on you can extrapolate how many miles you have left in the tank. Although some gauges are more accurate than others, I have never owned a bike that had a fuel gauge I would trust.

·
Super Moderator
4,949 Posts
Every Harley I've owned had an accurate fuel gauge. wac

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Every Harley I've owned had an accurate fuel gauge. wac
Of course they were accurate on the Harley's. You fill them up...drive 800 miles with the bike on a trailer and the gauge still shows FULL. Yep, they're accurate. LOL

(Yes, I know you were baiting). LOL

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
You guys are mean...:angel:angel

·
Registered
12,159 Posts

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
I have to say tho that the gauge on my friends ultra is fairly smooth from full to empty, mine doesn't seem to be as bad as others....:)

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Gauge, shmauge! I'm either looking at what's ahead, the tach or the speedo, in that order. When the low fuel light comes on I know I have 50 to 60 miles worth of fuel left. So what's the big deal? Go out and ride until that light lights up, then go down the road and fill 'er up. Sheesh!

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Pretty much what I do.....thumb up

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I have no problem with my fuel gauge on my xc, well, except for the fact that it won't go past the half way point since I removed the tank last week. But, before that it worked fine. Yes, it stays on full for awhile, but that's because the float is towards the back of the tank. Yes, the low fuel light comes on after using only about 4 gallons. That's fine and I know how far I can go after the light comes before I need to fill up. I figured out on my bike that after I've used a little over 5 gallons, it starts cutting out. I'm guessing its from the fuel sloshing around and possibly letting air in instead.

Yeah, you can go by your trip meter to decide when you should fill up, but that's not accurate, considering your mpg can change tank to tank. I've had a low of 32mpg up to a high of 49mpg. So, in saying that, I trust my fuel gauge.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
This is exactly what one of your trip odometers is for. Set one at zero when filling up, you know your mpg, so when the light comes on you can extrapolate how many miles you have left in the tank. Although some gauges are more accurate than others, I have never owned a bike that had a fuel gauge I would trust.
Same here, but I also learned how to interpret the gauge after a few tanks.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts