Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have too much time to think when I ride and now I have a theory I need help with...

I know using the clutch to control speed is a good way to ... control speed. If my RPMs are too low for the gear I'm in, I get a transmission shudder that, IMHO, is adding unnecessary wear on the transmission and lugging the engine...

If I'm pulling in the clutch a little and keeping the RPMs high to keep the tranny from shuddering, is that better than fully releasing the clutch and letting the tranny shudder? Theoretically, I would be putting more stress on the clutch when partially pulling it in, which would eventually burn it out, right? On the other hand, I would be adding unnecessary wear on the tranny and engine, causing a potentially more costly problem down the road.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Thou shalt not lug thy engine. If thine engine is shuddering, thou should hadst dropped down a gear or thrice gears. Keepeth thine rpms above 2200 and thine engine will be happier and last longer, like Methuselah. Yea verily, using thy friction zone is reserved for tight maneuvers in first gear. Many plagues will befall thee and thine engine because of shuddering.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clear enough. Thanks for the feedback cheers

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thou shalt not lug thy engine. If thine engine is shuddering, thou should hadst dropped down a gear or thrice gears. Keepeth thine rpms above 2200 and thine engine will be happier and last longer, like Methuselah. Yea verily, using thy friction zone is reserved for tight maneuvers in first gear. Many plagues will befall thee and thine engine because of shuddering.
Old English aside, I agree, however, lets say you are in 1st gear sputtering along in stop-en-go traffic that is not quite stopped or going to steady. Keeping the RPMs about 2200 ain't so easy so it seems like "clutching-it" is the answer...but maybe I'm using a bad technique...

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Your clutch should be "IN" or "OUT" , to avoid causing any wear to your components. The quicker your clutch goes from in to out in a controlled manner , is the key to clutch longevity. When shuddering, or lugging , shift to a lower gear. I often wait , in stop and go traffic , until the car in front of me is far enough ahead to fully release my clutch and go before having to pull it back in... Avoiding "slipping" the clutch . thumb up

·
Registered
75 Posts
Your clutch should be "IN" or "OUT" , to avoid causing any wear to your components. The quicker your clutch goes from in to out in a controlled manner , is the key to clutch longevity. When shuddering, or lugging , shift to a lower gear. thumb up
Not sure about your bike but mine doesn't have a gear lower than 1st:)...My example was VERY specific to 1st gear and stop-en-go traffic/riding conditions...otherwise I agree 100% with the "IN" or "OUT" approach.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Old English aside, I agree, however, lets say you are in 1st gear sputtering along in stop-en-go traffic that is not quite stopped or going to steady. Keeping the RPMs about 2200 ain't so easy so it seems like "clutching-it" is the answer...but maybe I'm using a bad technique...
That would be the "Friction Zone"he referred to using for slow speed maneuvering in first gear. You seem to have the right idea, just different terminology.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Not sure about your bike but mine doesn't have a gear lower than 1st:)...My example was VERY specific to 1st gear and stop-en-go traffic/riding conditions...otherwise I agree 100% with the "IN" or "OUT" approach.
You missed my revision , check it out . thumb up

·
Registered
12,320 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
I also city ride am I'm sure of one thing. We are going to have a pop-eye left forearm! thumb up

I find myself pulling the damn clutch all the time. eeeerrrrrrrrr.:Dcheers

·
Registered
450 Posts
Your clutch should be "IN" or "OUT" , to avoid causing any wear to your components. The quicker your clutch goes from in to out in a controlled manner , is the key to clutch longevity. When shuddering, or lugging , shift to a lower gear. I often wait , in stop and go traffic , until the car in front of me is far enough ahead to fully release my clutch and go before having to pull it back in... Avoiding "slipping" the clutch . thumb up
I guess folks up there are a lot more patient than down here.:D Heck, in Birmingham, Mobile, or Montgomery AL letting the car in front get more than a length or two may get you run over.:( And I'm not kidding! When folks see the line start moving, you need to be in motion ASAP. I really am glad you can do that safely.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Fully agree.

The only time slipping the clutch can be justified is when doing a very tight u-turn. Professional motorcycle trainers and police motorcycle trianers will tell you that.

Jim G

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fully agree.

The only time slipping the clutch can be justified is when doing a very tight u-turn. Professional motorcycle trainers and police motorcycle trianers will tell you that.

Jim G
Glad I asked the question because I've been doing some bad things to my clutch then. thumb up

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I guess folks up there are a lot more patient than down here.:D Heck, in Birmingham, Mobile, or Montgomery AL letting the car in front get more than a length or two may get you run over.:( And I'm not kidding! When folks see the line start moving, you need to be in motion ASAP. I really am glad you can do that safely.
Funny you said that,a guy lay on his horn to me in massive traffic , even though we were going no where fast ... I stopped my bike , got off and started walking to his car. You never saw anyone roll up they're window so fast and the guy started saluting me !!! This guy had no idea what to do,wanted no part of a confrontation.... I stood looking at him for a few seconds, then I turned back to my bike. I believe he crapped his pants , based on the look on his face. Safe to say , he did not toot his horn again.:ltr:

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Fully agree.

Jim G
Back in 2000, rented a BMW KLT to ride the Alps two up. It had a first gear like our second, way too tall for those switchbacks. Did a lot of clutch slipping and rear brake dragging on those bobby pin turns. Those are tighter than hairpin turns.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Funny you said that,a guy lay on his horn to me in massive traffic , even though we were going no where fast ... I stopped my bike , got off and started walking to his car. You never saw anyone roll up they're window so fast and the guy started saluting me !!! This guy had no idea what to do,wanted no part of a confrontation.... I stood looking at him for a few seconds, then I turned back to my bike. I believe he crapped his pants , based on the look on his face. Safe to say , he did not toot his horn again.:ltr:
Back when I was young and stupid (old and stupid now) a guy cut in front of me way too close in stop and go. I got back in front of him, got off the bike and as his window was going up, I grabbed it, pulling outward. Man, those things sure shatter in a thousand pieces! No words. Got back on bike. He takes next turn to get away from mean biker.:)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Back when I was young and stupid (old and stupid now) a guy cut in front of me way too close in stop and go. I got back in front of him, got off the bike and as his window was going up, I grabbed it, pulling outward. Man, those things sure shatter in a thousand pieces! No words. Got back on bike. He takes next turn to get away from mean biker.:)
I know it might have "felt good", but if he had gotten your plate number and some witness phone numbers, he could have made an assault charge stick, and you'd have a criminal record if he did.

Or worse, once you shattered his window, which would have looked to a witness like you were trying to gain entry to his car,if he had been armed, at least in Texas, he could legally have shot you in self defense. It might have cost him $100k or more in legal fees, but you'd be dead or signficantly hurt.

The tolerance for violence in our society is getting smaller each year, even if you think it is sometimes justified or even needed.

Jim G

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
I know it might have "felt good", but if he had gotten your plate number and some witness phone numbers, he could have made an assault charge stick, and you'd have a criminal record if he did.

Or worse, once you shattered his window, which would have looked to a witness like you were trying to gain entry to his car,if he had been armed, at least in Texas, he could legally have shot you in self defense. It might have cost him $100k or more in legal fees, but you'd be dead or signficantly hurt.

The tolerance for violence in our society is getting smaller each year, even if you think it is sometimes justified or even needed.

Jim G
I think the window breaking surprised both of us and we both knew we had done something bad. Yes, I was shaking in my boots for a while there, but the score came out a tie at 1 to 1. Betcha he never cut off a bike again.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
I suspect you are right about that. He made have needed a change of underwear too.

Jim G
Could be he peeled off to go to a laundromat.:)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts