Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I read in another thread about using the stock GPS input harness to add in an AUX-IN audio input. If anyone has done this I'd love some troubleshooting input.

At first I was going to cut the GPS harness wires to connect them to a 3.5mm audio plug for my phone but then I realized that I have some small jumper wires from an electronics breadboard kit that have the perfect sized pin on the end to go into the GPS plug's pin locations. So I've just made an audio cable with a 3.5mm male plug on one end and these pins on the end and I'm going to poke them into the factory plug. Perfect solution. Well...

So I can't seem to get the connections figured out. I have three pins on the audio cable: L+, R+, and GND. The colors on my 5-wire GPS input are almost exactly as described in the service manual: red, black, gray/blue, dark blue/pink, and dark blue/orange. This last one isn't the same as the manual says (it says dark blue/DG (which I take to be 'dark green'?). But still, they are all basically there.

However, I can't find the right combination of connections to use. No matter how I hook things up, I only get mono, not stereo. And that one channel comes out both speakers equally. Even if I only hook up one side (i.e. just L+ and GND). I've tested by connecting the pins of my makeshift audio cable to the connectors on my real aux-in cable in my saddlebag and they work perfectly (in stereo). But the GPS input is baffling me. I've tried most every combination of wires with the exception of red, which is +12V output.

What's going on here? The GPS input definitely seems like it is SUPPOSED to be stereo, since the service manual shows NAV Audio Right (+), NAV Audio Left (+), and NAV Audio (-) connections. I've verified that my stereo/amp/speakers are fine because they work perfectly in stereo with left/right from the normal AUX-IN plug in the saddlebag. Ugh, it is always just one more hurdle to get over!

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After all the troubleshooting I've done I've come to the conclusion that either Victory designed the GPS input to merge the channels into mono and have left dominate or else something is messed up with my bike's actual wiring harness. The latter is pretty unlikely.

I'd really love to hear from anyone who has used the GPS harness for audio input and knows for sure that they are getting true stereo output. You can find YouTube videos for checking left/right channels...

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
173 Posts
Cracked the code! Dark blue with pink trace is audio negative. Grey with blue trace is left and dark blue with orange is right channel. I now get both channels of audio out.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Encmerk! However, I tried your wiring combo and I do get both L/R channel sound, but both channels play on both speakers, so it seems merged into mono. I sent you a PM with more detailed info.

Appreciate the digging you've done...

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whether Victory set things up like this intentionally to merge the channels or if something is just not working right, it's probably good enough since there is no way to hear L/R separation while at highway speed anyway. This is still a good option for audio input.

Thanks,
Rob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts