Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old Zumo 550 that is starting to have issues and I am trying to decide to buy a new GPS or maybe a case for my I-Phone 7 Plus. How many of you on here use your Phone as your GPS and what case and mount do you use. I have a set of Vicbaggers bars on my bike.

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
I use my iPhone all the time. I bought the Garmin USA app ($50) but it's a one-time purchase and includes the entire USA. It also does NOT require a cell signal, only GPS. Useful in those areas where there is no cell signal but you will still have an up-to-date turn-by-turn navigation system that works just like Garmin's external units.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
I rarely use my iPhone as a GPS. Primarily because on the CCT, I use my iPhone for the iHeart radio app or iTunes. You can buy a full featured 5" Garmin Nuvi automotive type GPS with lifetime map and traffic updates etc for between $120.00 and $180. The 6" or larger screens are a bit more. I've always found them very easy to use and quite reliable. A quart size Ziplock bag and two rubber bands have never let me down in the rain with them either. That's what I've done for many, many years.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use my iPhone all the time. I bought the Garmin USA app ($50) but it's a one-time purchase and includes the entire USA. It also does NOT require a cell signal, only GPS. Useful in those areas where there is no cell signal but you will still have an up-to-date turn-by-turn navigation system that works just like Garmin's external units.
What mount do you use? I figure I am going to have my I-phone for years to come. Do you ever charge it while riding and do you worry about rain?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I rarely use my iPhone as a GPS. Primarily because on the CCT, I use my iPhone for the iHeart radio app or iTunes. You can buy a full featured 5" Garmin Nuvi automotive type GPS with lifetime map and traffic updates etc for between $120.00 and $180. The 6" or larger screens are a bit more. I've always found them very easy to use and quite reliable. A quart size Ziplock bag and two rubber bands have never let me down in the rain with them either. That's what I've done for many, many years.
I have thought about this as well, what mount do you use? and do you just use the 12 volt port to charge it?

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Brian - does the maps stay on the iphone? because normally it looks for maps on the internet to display. Even though the iPhone knows where you are it may not be able to display the map. But from what you said it has a map loaded in the app ?

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
The Garmin USA app downloads and stores the maps internally, this is why it doesn't require a cell service. I use a RAM X-mount. If it rains, I put a sandwich bag over it! I replaced my cig lighter port with a built-in USB port that continually charges the phone.

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
They are huge downloads tho. You can select one of the four 'regions' (NE, SE, NW, SW, etc) or the entire USA. Requires at least a couple of Gigabytes of free space tho.

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
They are huge downloads tho. You can select one of the four 'regions' (NE, SE, NW, SW, etc) or the entire USA. Requires at least a couple of Gigabytes of free space tho.
i looked at the app on iTunes and it says it is 250meg. I think I will wait until i get home onmy wife to download it. I think i have about 20gig left on my phone

·
Registered
39 Posts
iPhone for the win. Current maps and traffic for half the cost. On newer cross bikes you get nav queues, right along with your music, through the bike speakers via Bluetooth with no extra set up for a separate GPS unit. You'd have to buy a GPS with Bluetooth to do that, then set it up.

The only downside is, I don't think you're supposed to charge the iPhone while using it. Doing so allegedly damages the battery and shortens its life span. So, for long trips you're iPhone might go dead unless you charge while using. However, I used my iPhone as a GPS and Bluetooth streamed music from it while unplugged for about five hours once and only got down to 50% battery. I've used it while charging also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
The APP framework is 250mb. Once you download it, you have to download a separate set of support files and the map(s) of your choice. Trust me, it's big. And then are the additional features (of which I have several) ;)

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Thanks Brian.. seems to be a much cheaper solution that a $700 motorcycle device.

·
Registered
84 Posts
This one is pretty tight, and truly flush mount, so it stays put quite nicely.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I uses that and my android all the time. Have a mount I hardwired into the accessory line in the headlight bucket. Charges and has BT. I use a small BT headset as well. Works great.

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
Funny! Although I think he's gonna have his wife's help with the iPhone ;)

The only gripe is I can't use the iPhone Garmin without taking my glove off, but I can live with that.

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts

·
13,188 Posts
I have a galaxy S7 in bright sun light I can't see the screen. So I just pick a road and see where it takes me.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts