Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Utopia rider's back rest on my Gold Wing, and really like it.

From what I can tell, the Victory backrest for the CX is non adjustable, and some don't like it (?).

Utopia makes one for the XC, it is very adjustable, and less $$.

Has anyone tried it?

http://www.utpr.com/crosscountryroad.html

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ordered one yesterday. Will post when I get it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Have you you install your new back rest yet for your 2011 XC ?
Did you get the backrest that is removable? how do you like it?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think mine probably shipped a couple days ago, the web site gave the date they would ship, but I don't remember. I'll post as soon as I get it.

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
Got a chance to ride with the Utopia back rest last night and it feels pretty good. Kind of wraps on around my back with good support. Easy to adjust on the fly if I don't have the pad on the upright. Got it set on the lowest setting.

All in all; very happy with this back rest.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got mine installed a couple days ago, including the "quick disconnect" (which uses the mounting plate for the passenger grab strap). I really like all the adjustability.

However, for me, the backrest itself was a little too big, mostly too high (not too wide). It hit me too high in the back...not bad, but a little uncomfortable for me. I called Utopia, and they said they make a 2" shorter version for the police, and would gladly exchange for my unit.:D Very nice folks.

I sent the original back, hope to have the new one soon.

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
Greg; I know this is a really dumb question but did you lower the back rest to its lowest position? It didn't feel right to me until I did. If you did and it still felt like it hit too high on your back; I'm glad Utopia had a solution ready.

Sounds like they have a lot of experience with this.

I can tell you mine just keeps getting more comfortable. It's seems to be comforming to my back in a way I didn't expect.

I highly recommend the Utopia back rest. And I'm not saying it's any better than the standard Victory back rest because I honestly don't know.

I do product testing for companies all the time and would like to do a comparison using some unbiased riders.

Guess I should get a job with a biker magazine, eh. :)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Greg; I know this is a really dumb question but did you lower the back rest to its lowest position? It didn't feel right to me until I did. If you did and it still felt like it hit too high on your back; I'm glad Utopia had a solution ready. QUOTE]

Originally I didn't. When I first called Utopia the lady who answered the phone suggested I try that, which I did. Lowering it did seem to help, but since I then knew they had a lower version I thought I would try it. Also, I thought the original one "looked" too tall...too obvious maybe? I think I will like the visual appearance of the lower backrest better.

I have a standard size backrest on my Wing, and it has never bothered me.

Part of the reason may be that on the XC I often wear an armored jacket with a back protector, and the back rest was hitting the bottom of the back armor. My Wing has a sidecar, and for better or worse, I usually don't wear armor.

Btw, the trouble with getting a job with a motorcycle mag is 1) they pay little, if anything for many contibuting editors, and 2) you often need some background in writing/journalism (which I don't have):( The first one didn't bother me (I am retired) but the 2nd one was problematic.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the Utopia back rest on my Victory and I didn't like how tall it was and my wife said it was too thick and cut into her space in the back so I looked on eBay for smaller one like the Mustang I have on my Road Star.

The Mustang seat is much smaller and thinner and rides lower than the Utopia. The hardware is different so I just swapped the seats. I like it much better.

I sold the old one with the Mustang hardware on eBay for more than I bought the Mustang one.

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
I have the Utopia back rest on my Victory and I didn't like how tall it was and my wife said it was too thick and cut into her space in the back so I looked on eBay for smaller one like the Mustang I have on my Road Star.

The Mustang seat is much smaller and thinner and rides lower than the Utopia. The hardware is different so I just swapped the seats. I like it much better.

I sold the old one with the Mustang hardware on eBay for more than I bought the Mustang one.
If I'm reading this right; you exchanged a Utopia backrest Pad for a Mustang backrest Pad? And that solved it?

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have the Victory backrest and I also have a Goldwing with a Mustang seat/backrest. With the Victory backrest mount both BR's are interchangeable. The biggest difference in the BR's mounting is the Mustang will not lock into position as the locks on the BR are smaller but the pressure of the mount will hold it in place. The arm on the Victory are bent forward as the mustang is straight. Both have enough adjustments to satisfy my comfort. They are small enough not to get in the way-they move forward to let my passenger on-but big enough to be comfortable. The Victory BR adjusting screw is longer and gives a little more forward but it is not needed unless you have really short arms and stock handle bars.

Now that I have added the SRVT +2 bars I am not so sure I will need a BR but due to the weather I haven't been able to give a good test ride. You know 100 miles +

I am a short guy and your results may differ

This is nothing but information

dd

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a mustang seat and backrest on my Dyna.....will see if it fits. Great idea.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I checked out he BR with the SRVT bars today. I think this will be a most welcomed change. Together I will be very comfortable. You can also flip the BR down to get the BR very low for lower back support.

dd

·
Registered
23 Posts
If I'm reading this right; you exchanged a Utopia backrest Pad for a Mustang backrest Pad? And that solved it?

Yes - I just changed the pads. They have a bracket on the back of the seat that you slide the swivel part into and put the bolt through.

The parts that slide into the seat are different widths so you just change out the upper parts.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, couple things.

1) Got the new shorter Utopia backrest, seems to fit the bill, more comfortable for me. Utopia was nice enough to send it without addt'l postage:) Very good customer service.

2. I think I misunderstood DD's post re: the Mustang BR. I tried to fit the Mustang BR off my Dyna to the XC using some combination of Mustang and Utopia parts, but to no avail. I could do it if I ground down part of the Utopia bracket, but then it wouldn't work well with the Utopia BR. The Mustang BR is about the same size as the short Utopia, but is clearly thinner and more "stylish".

However, I think the the new short Utopia BR will work great, so I don't think I will do anything else.

I plan to road test it tomorrow, as soon as I return from an antique bike get together in Pasadena (take out the '76 Beamer). It is cold as hell here in SoCal (50 degrees high) but sunny and otherwise nice:p.

Happy New Years to all

greg

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have no experience with Utopia other than seeing 1.

The Victory BR it self looks almost like the Mustang except the chrome arm is bent forward on the Victory's BR. This is the back rest only not the mounting bracket. You can not see the mustang mounting bracket because it is built into the seat.

I have a Corbin seat on my VTX with the large BR and I do not like it.
It sits to high up and too large to really be comfortable. It's rode only with anything Veterans related.

Glad to hear it worked out for ya,

dd

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Yes - I just changed the pads. They have a bracket on the back of the seat that you slide the swivel part into and put the bolt through.

The parts that slide into the seat are different widths so you just change out the upper parts.
Good idea, didn't think about unsrewing the bracket from the seat, good to know I have an option.

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
It sounds like I'm one of the few who really like large pad on the Utopia BR. Give great support for this guy with a bad lower back. Like it was made for me. I seem to have misplaced the little wrap around cushion for the upright though. That little thing really makes it look clean.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts