Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of V-twin audio 6.5" adapters off of a guy on another forum and they appear to be the older non-baffled design, which I don't care about.

However I am trying to fit them to the Hertz HCX 165's and it appears that there is a clearance issue with the adapter inner diameter and the outer diameter of the rubber on the speaker surround.

Did anybody have this issue? I am planning to just dremel the ID of the adapter out a bit but want to make sure I am not setting myself up for failure. I'd rather say screw it and go get different adapters than risk damaging the expensive speaker.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
That is exactly what i have but i never had an issue. Mine went in perfect with no clearance issues at all. Others have reported the problem you have encountered though. Two choices, send them back for replacement or get out the dremel.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is exactly what i have but i never had an issue. Mine went in perfect with no clearance issues at all. Others have reported the problem you have encountered though. Two choices, send them back for replacement or get out the dremel.
Thanks Dan. Did you have the new baffled style or the older plate style?

I will probably just bust out the dremel but want to check first.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
I did mine last year. There was no baffle. Exact same speakers. Hertz HCX 165's

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I called and asked the guys at V-twin and they say they hadn't heard of an issue. Said it shouldn't be but I think I will still hit it just to make sure.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
There have been enough reports of guys having issues. I find it hard to believe they don't know about. Maybe whoever answers their phone didn't know.

Now if you call ACB those idiots don't have a clue. But they seem to bank a lot of work.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is ACB?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did mine last year. There was no baffle. Exact same speakers. Hertz HCX 165's
Did you have any issue with it hitting on the fairing. I have mine in and the fairing is hitting and deflecting.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
No hitting whatsoever. But you aren't the first one to report this.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had some interference on the inside clearance where the adapter was hitting the surround of the speaker so I dremelled that but this is now the top side.

Guy I bought them from said he had no clearance issues with it. It's weird since it's the actual frame of the adapter that hits and some of the speaker frame but mostly the adapter. It's Flush on the bottom but isn't cover up top and I checked the orientation multiple times.

Did victory change something in the mounting of the speakers at some point? Or is the poor quality control from V-twin audio?

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Were they marked? There is a left and a right.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They were marked from the last guy and the fit is pretty clear since there is a channel cut to clear the interior dash plastic. I did try to swap sides though.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
It seems to be hit or miss. Some guys have installed them no issue. Others have encountered what you have. Just Drexel it and enjoy your Hertz.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The lack of consistency seems weird. Especially when the same speakers are involved. Just to confirm it wasn't the speaker I tried with just the bracket and it hit.

Having a hard time talking myself into grinding brand new speakers.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Not a whole lot of clearance to play with. When I did my old bike, and added the RF 6.5s, I had to do a little moving and finageling to get them to work, and just barely cleared in the end.

·
Registered
56 Posts
return

Send them back. You don't need to reengineer them. I had the same issue with the Harley adaptors. I got Hawg Wire adaptors and they fit perfectly. No cutting or mods. They are 40 but worth the aggravation.

·
Super Moderator
4,949 Posts
So strange mine fit up no problem you know they rotate for orientation. I had to trim 1/8" off the top big deal.

Click

·
Registered
56 Posts
Vindex,

I turned them 270 degrees and they hit. SO I don't know why bike is different than yours. But what a PITA to keep removing the fairing. Hawg Wire just fit the first time. No screwing around.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts