Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking into getting a V92 (Preferably a V92SC, but very few around here). I'm a little nervous about the transmission issues plaguing the early models, and finding conflicting or unclear information about the Freedom engine. Did the V92 get the Freedom engine in 2002 or 2003? Just looking around around I'm seeing what looks like 3 different engines used in the V92.

I'm guessing this is what's referred to as the Hammer engine, and this is the one plagued with the tranny issues?

I only see these on the V92SCs. I'm guessing it's the same engine as above, just blacked out. Does this share all the same problems as the chromed one or did they change/fix some things for the V92SC?

This one is obviously the Freedom engine. However, I've read that the Freedom engine began in 2002, but I only see this engine on the 2003s. The engine in 2002 resembles the first picture, is that still considered a Freedom?

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

·
13,262 Posts
Reactions: SportyDoug

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
not mine just giving info. Personal save your money and buy a newer model
I'd consider the later model V92s, but I'm primarily interested in the V92SC since I'm looking for a sporty/muscle cruiser along the lines of the Sportster, Speedmaster, Thunderbird, Yamaha Bolt, Indian Scout, Magna etc. Options on most of the rest are limited because I want EFI, and they didn't do that till much later.

·
Registered
290 Posts
You might look at the 2004 Vegas, it has the V92 engine and I have not had any problems with mine. Good luck on you search.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The links below are to Vic Shop vids that should answer your questions.

V92SC

04 and up Sportys can often be had for a reasonable price and there are many options, aftermarket and factory, that one can find to personalize the bike. Parts availability for repairs is very good. Likely not as fast as any of the other bikes you listed, out of the box, but plenty fast enough.

I have owned 4 of them with no regret. 2008 was, I believe, the first year for EFI. 2016 is the last model year I would pursue.

Good luck on your search.

100_4474.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
04 and up Sportys can often be had for a reasonable price and there are many options, aftermarket and factory, that one can find to personalize the bike. Parts availability for repairs is very good. Likely not as fast as any of the other bikes you listed, out of the box, but plenty fast enough.

I have owned 4 of them with no regret. 2008 was, I believe, the first year for EFI. 2016 is the last model year I would pursue.

Good luck on your search
Thanks for that. I was just listing the Sporty as a example of the type of bike I trying to get onto. I do quite like them but I don't think I'd ever get a HD, just because of the brand and the perception their customer base gets. ie, I don't want to be a 'Harley rider'.

I just picked up a 2010 Triumph Thunderbird 1600 today for a steal at $2500. They're a fair bit heavier than I'd like, but maybe it'll tide me over until I can afford an Indian Scout.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks for that. I was just listing the Sporty as a example of the type of bike I trying to get onto. I do quite like them but I don't think I'd ever get a HD, just because of the brand and the perception their customer base gets. ie, I don't want to be a 'Harley rider'.

I just picked up a 2010 Triumph Thunderbird 1600 today for a steal at $2500. They're a fair bit heavier than I'd like, but maybe it'll tide me over until I can afford an Indian Scout.

View attachment 252101
Funny, as the day went by I thought further about the other choices you listed and was going to write that the other bikes you listed might offer a better ride out of the box. Your T-Bird certainly looks as though it will be comfortable...and haul the mail. Nice choice, and an absolute steal.

I dropped a glass part off at a guys house one time, on my 650 Yamaha. He told me he had a bike I should see, letting me know he had ridden the rest but was now ridding the best. Crap, another H-D owner, I'm thinking. His bike was a BMW. I have ridden a number of different model bikes over the years and have enjoyed them all. Love the one your with.

Enjoy your new scoot.

Vic Gunner 1 15.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts