Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, my v92c is making noise at the front drive pulley, a sort of barking rattle. it only does this for first 1-2 mi. it wont do it under acceleration or steady cruise. it will do it during decel/wind down and will immediately stop when clutch is disengaged. as mentioned before it only occurs when bike has sat overnight, once 1-2 mi. have been traveled noise goes away and does not recur as long as eng./gearbox stay even slightly warm. thanks for any info/ideas you may have.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
First thing you need to do is look behind the cover for any sign of a rust red dust. It means the pulley nut is loose, and if you fail to take care of it. You will be on the side of the road with a stripped pulley

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
noisy pulley

thanks kevinx, i've tried about all i can think of,wheel alignment,belt tension etc. etc. and was ready to remove exhaust and pulley cover today (9/24). i'll get on this job in a few mins. and will post results later today. thanks for the advice, ride safe.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

just an update on the noisy eng. drive pulley. instead of pulling the exh. and pulley cover i borrowed my buddy's gun bore camera and took a remote look under the cover. there was not really any thing that looked out of place, no rust dust/metal filings/oil/other debris. went ahead and tightened the belt tensioners another 1/2 turn each and the noise has now gone away completely (woohoo). i'm still concerned that i may have the belt too tight but i will check and adjust by the victory shop manual tomorrow. but for now i think (hope) the problem may be cured. thanks kevinx for the pulley nut suggestion and i will keep you posted on the end results.

·
Registered
148 Posts
There is a squeal coming from my front pulley of my 04 TC when be belt get wet. I was going to pull the cover off the front pulley and have a look, but it looks like the exhaust has to be removed to access the lower nut. Can the cover be removed with the exhaust in place?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pulley cover

sofakingblue: i am not a victory tech,but i dont see any way to remove the pulley cover without the exh. being removed. however, i don't think you would have to remove the whole ehhaust. yes you will have to disconnect the front header flange at the cyl. head but it appears that the rear pipe may be disconnected at the 1st joint downstream from the header flange, this is very nearly all of the exhaust system but it is very accesible and should be pretty easy to do. BUT! i would pursue the belt tension/pulley alignment angle as far as i possibly can before you start disassembling any thing.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
exh. removal

yeah i try not to disturb any more parts than i have to. im not sure that sofakingblue is to the point that he needs to do that yet. it seems to me that he may have a tension problem.

·
Registered
148 Posts
S92 and KX - thanks for the replies. I sprayed some silicone/wax lubracant on the front pulley and it seemed to quiet down [at least for now]. I was afraid I would have to remove the exhaust - need to buy the gaskets first.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
noisy pulley

S92 and KX - thanks for the replies. I sprayed some silicone/wax lubracant on the front pulley and it seemed to quiet down [at least for now]. I was afraid I would have to remove the exhaust - need to buy the gaskets first.
yeah i wouldn't pull any of that stuff without gaskets inhand.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks

I do it all the time. The stuff they used on the ole 92"'s was pretty forgiving
thats a handy piece of info to have, i still havn't decided whether this belt is too tight or not. according to factory service manual it is correct 1/2" deflection @ 10 lbs. presssure with a motion pro tension gauge, however the belt now makes a creaking noise while i duck walk the bike forward or backward with eng. off.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
noisy v92c

First thing you need to do is look behind the cover for any sign of a rust red dust. It means the pulley nut is loose, and if you fail to take care of it. You will be on the side of the road with a stripped pulley
kevinx: i rode the bike this weekend(about 100mi.) and it seems that the problem is cured, thanks a bunch for your time and advice. i have one question, if by chance this belt is too tight what do you think the hazards could be? in no particular order i worry about 1. belt failure. 2. axle bearing failure. 3. trans output shaft bearing failure. any thoughts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Other causes of squaky pully and red dust

Hi,

I have a O4 Vegas and am experiencing squeaky front pulley with red dust. I have read other posts that indicate the problem might be due to a loose nut, however, I have removed the pulley and found that the nut is tight.

Does anyone have any other ideas as to what else might be causing the problem.

Thanks.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Yep, I bet I know. I've been trying to track down an intermittent metalic noise myself. Been to 3 dealers. Finally, today figured out what it may be. All the dealers heard it to. Always went away a few miles, even happened when I hit some bumps. Well today, it dropped to a whopping 60 degrees. Out I went and there it was! Gave me more time to locate it, and sure enough, went away after the bike warms up.

Was heading to a dealer too and they looked it over. Told them I had the rattle back, seemed to be coming form one of the pulleys, but while riding with all the fairings couldn't pin it down. The mechanic found a very faint wear mark, not even quite a wear, but discoloration running a long the top of the belt. He looked into the front cover pully area as best he could, and seems there is a "ridge" or "bump" running along the top of the cover. Can't tell more without a tear down. The "ridge" or "bump" was perfectly clean and looked polished. Only that. When he tapped it from the inside it made the same sound. Theory is, the belt was ever so slightly loose, and when cold bangs on the ridge, or when I hit bumps. As it heats up it clears. He realigned and tightend the belt, we'll see. He actually wants to tear it down and see if he can grind the bump off, but at my expense. Said my lowering the bike caused it. I really doubt it now and it did it from day one, but they don't want to fight Victory over it since they've never seen it before. I'm taking it back to the dealer who lowered it this week, who is going to install a reverse gear for me. When he tears it down I'm going to see what he can do.

This all makes sense about the noise, and why it goes away when dry lubed, or only occures for a few miles or bumps. Now we'll see if it's feasible to get ride of the dumb design.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
red dust

Hi,

I have a O4 Vegas and am experiencing squeaky front pulley with red dust. I have read other posts that indicate the problem might be due to a loose nut, however, I have removed the pulley and found that the nut is tight.

Does anyone have any other ideas as to what else might be causing the problem.

Thanks.
kbb: if you have red dust somehing is rusting, usually caused by a loose nut/bolt/fastener. did you actually try to torque the nut? hopefully kevinx will have more tips for you.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
noisy pulley

Yep, I bet I know. I've been trying to track down an intermittent metalic noise myself. Been to 3 dealers. Finally, today figured out what it may be. All the dealers heard it to. Always went away a few miles, even happened when I hit some bumps. Well today, it dropped to a whopping 60 degrees. Out I went and there it was! Gave me more time to locate it, and sure enough, went away after the bike warms up.

Was heading to a dealer too and they looked it over. Told them I had the rattle back, seemed to be coming form one of the pulleys, but while riding with all the fairings couldn't pin it down. The mechanic found a very faint wear mark, not even quite a wear, but discoloration running a long the top of the belt. He looked into the front cover pully area as best he could, and seems there is a "ridge" or "bump" running along the top of the cover. Can't tell more without a tear down. The "ridge" or "bump" was perfectly clean and looked polished. Only that. When he tapped it from the inside it made the same sound. Theory is, the belt was ever so slightly loose, and when cold bangs on the ridge, or when I hit bumps. As it heats up it clears. He realigned and tightend the belt, we'll see. He actually wants to tear it down and see if he can grind the bump off, but at my expense. Said my lowering the bike caused it. I really doubt it now and it did it from day one, but they don't want to fight Victory over it since they've never seen it before. I'm taking it back to the dealer who lowered it this week, who is going to install a reverse gear for me. When he tears it down I'm going to see what he can do.

This all makes sense about the noise, and why it goes away when dry lubed, or only occures for a few miles or bumps. Now we'll see if it's feasible to get ride of the dumb design.
mtv: if you read my earlier posts in this thread i had a very similar problem with my 02 v92c. a noisy pulley that went away after warm up, turns out that the belt was loose(stand by for further info on that one) after tensioning, the noise seems to be gone. i have a thought on this that goes this way, my 70 flh has an open drive primary with a belt that closely resembles the drive belt on the v92. i know for a fact that the primary belt on the hd tightens up after some warm up. if you have a rear drive belt on your vic that is nominally adjusted and it tightens up after warm up, does it stand to reason that your noisy pulley may quieten in operation?

·
Registered
790 Posts
We'll see. Colder bike is, noiser it is. After tightening and adjusting just went for a ride, still there but not as bad, HOWEVER wife heard it and is afraid something is wrong with bike., Know, that's big trouble. Tomorrow I'm going to pump the shock way up and see if it does it (got to let it cool down). Then maybe I'll know alittle more, as it should rasie rear A'little" and see if that changes angle of belt going into front pully.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
noisy pulley

We'll see. Colder bike is, noiser it is. After tightening and adjusting just went for a ride, still there but not as bad, HOWEVER wife heard it and is afraid something is wrong with bike., Know, that's big trouble. Tomorrow I'm going to pump the shock way up and see if it does it (got to let it cool down). Then maybe I'll know alittle more, as it should rasie rear A'little" and see if that changes angle of belt going into front pully.
mtv: that is exactly the drill that i went through with mine. when i finally got on the belt tensioning bandwagon i started out with 1/2 turn on the tensioning bolts and the noise was diminished. another 1/2 turn on the tensioners eliminated the noise. i'll point out here that the bike went from sounding like a bearing had gone bad in the trans. to quiet in 1 turn(total) on the tensioner bolts.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts