Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into a new rear tire. The tires have been on the bike since before I bought it and the back one is very thin. It has Dunlop 491 Elite II's on it. What have most put on there bikes. I am not a big fan of Dunlop, I had them on my Vstar 1100 and switched to Metzlers and love them. The 160/80 x 16 is hard to come by, so would the 150/80/16 be ok? I also see that the ones are radial on the bike. Has anyone put Bias ply on them. I know if I switch to bias ply I have to change both.

Please help. Thanks Travis.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey dont have any help for you on that but i do alos have a question on a rear tire for my v92c i have a 160/80 i was hoping to go i little wider. the rear fender looks like it will take a bigger tire but im not sure what would be the max or what sizes would be compatable. i was hoping to go to a 180 but i dont know if i can or if anybody has tryed. sorry i couldnt help with your issue but maybe someone can help with mine. thanks

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I am looking into a new rear tire. The tires have been on the bike since before I bought it and the back one is very thin. It has Dunlop 491 Elite II's on it. What have most put on there bikes. I am not a big fan of Dunlop, I had them on my Vstar 1100 and switched to Metzlers and love them. The 160/80 x 16 is hard to come by, so would the 150/80/16 be ok? I also see that the ones are radial on the bike. Has anyone put Bias ply on them. I know if I switch to bias ply I have to change both.

Please help. Thanks Travis.
Good rubber is important and I hate to tell ya what you may not want to hear but there is no way I would swap my Dunlop E3's radials out for anything. I have over 10k and there going strong. My two cents!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree on good rubber being important, never tried Dunlop E3's. These are the 491 Elite 2, They are crap. I am scared to lean it. I ended up buying Michelin Commander 3's. Will have them mounted on Saturday. Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Metzler ME 880's on my V92C since 2006 and no complaints. No more Dunlops for me.
I love Metzler's, I have them on my VStar 1100, but could not swing the $200 a tire at this time. I was able to buy both Michelin Comander 2's for $238 shipped, plus $50 for a friend to mount and balance them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had dunlops on mine and they sucked. Ended up cracking on the sidewalls. A friend that owns a bike shop suggested Shinkos. He said they're just as good as Metzlers so I bought some and he's right. Once the tires break in they grip the road tight and they're much cheaper. Shinkos take a little longer to break in because of the 4 ply but they're worth it.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had dunlops on mine and they sucked. Ended up cracking on the sidewalls. A friend that owns a bike shop suggested Shinkos. He said they're just as good as Metzlers so I bought some and he's right. Once the tires break in they grip the road tight and they're much cheaper. Shinkos take a little longer to break in because of the 4 ply but they're worth it.
A freind of mine runs them on his softail. I really thought about them but they had the same tread as the dunlop and I think it looks like crap. I will get the Michelin's on the bike tomorrow and will be putting about 100 miles on the later that same day so i will see how they do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts