Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opp to purchase a 2000 VSC. It's black, the seat looks aftermarket, and it appears to be bone stock except for the pipe. It has dual disks up front, short handlebars and mid controls, no luggage.
The guy wants 5K, KBB says 3750 for an pristine bike.

Depending on the miles, is 5K right in there or more like 4K?
Is the tranny clunky?
I do my own maint, are they easy to work on?
I am looking for a solo, quick bike, good in the twistys, won't scrape metal like my Harley.

Any other advice you could give would be appreciated!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I personally feel $5000 is to high. Do you know if the transmission has been upgraded? if not I would guess there is 85% chance it will fail. When it does fail it will start dropping out of third gear under heavy acceleration. Do you know if the charging system has been upgraded? I believe they were originally a 28 amp system upgrade to a 38 amp system. A quick way to check to see if the transmission has been upgraded is to check the front drive pulley to see if there is an external speed sensor. A quick check on the charging system would be to check the multifunction display to see what the charging voltage is at an idle if it is around 12 it is the old system. The hammer motor also had a problem breaking valve springs. Another issue I could think of is the mileage accurate, the early victorys odometer would reset if the battery died and wasn't replaced soon enough. I know it sounds like I am bad mouthing the SC but I own one and I am well aware of the problems with them. But on the other hand there are many hammer motors out there that have well over a 100k miles and are still running strong. On my SC the transmission crapped out. The upgrade kit and installation would have been around $3000. I opted for the second fix. I put a freedom motor in mine. Any V92 freedom motor from 02-05 is a direct bolt in. It takes care of all the hammer motors potential problems. My total for the motor upgrade and additional parts was right around $2000.

MrBill65

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
I personally feel $5000 is to high. Do you know if the transmission has been upgraded? if not I would guess there is 85% chance it will fail. When it does fail it will start dropping out of third gear under heavy acceleration. Do you know if the charging system has been upgraded? I believe they were originally a 28 amp system upgrade to a 38 amp system. A quick way to check to see if the transmission has been upgraded is to check the front drive pulley to see if there is an external speed sensor. A quick check on the charging system would be to check the multifunction display to see what the charging voltage is at an idle if it is around 12 it is the old system. The hammer motor also had a problem breaking valve springs. Another issue I could think of is the mileage accurate, the early victorys odometer would reset if the battery died and wasn't replaced soon enough. I know it sounds like I am bad mouthing the SC but I own one and I am well aware of the problems with them. But on the other hand there are many hammer motors out there that have well over a 100k miles and are still running strong. On my SC the transmission crapped out. The upgrade kit and installation would have been around $3000. I opted for the second fix. I put a freedom motor in mine. Any V92 freedom motor from 02-05 is a direct bolt in. It takes care of all the hammer motors potential problems. My total for the motor upgrade and additional parts was right around $2000.

MrBill65
thumb up:I agree:Thereyago!

·
Registered
130 Posts
get the vin number and take it to your local Vic shop. they can tell you all of the service which has been performed by vic dealers.
Oh yeah, still get a kick out of riding my 01 C model.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts