Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The headlight fuse keeps blowing. Took it to a local shop (non-dealer) and they couldn't find the problem. They replaced the fuse, and it worked for about 15 miles and blew again. This is a weird problem to me because the speedo and odometer stop working, but the running lamps (turn signal) and flashers still work. Any ideas or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
The headlight fuse keeps blowing. Took it to a local shop (non-dealer) and they couldn't find the problem. They replaced the fuse, and it worked for about 15 miles and blew again. This is a weird problem to me because the speedo and odometer stop working, but the running lamps (turn signal) and flashers still work. Any ideas or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Seems like something has gone to ground. I would trace the wires to make sure one has not been pinched or rubbing up against something it shouldn't. Grab a few friends and a couple of cold ones....take your time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems like something has gone to ground. I would trace the wires to make sure one has not been pinched or rubbing up against something it shouldn't. Grab a few friends and a couple of cold ones....take your time.
Is it possible that the relay is bad? When it was at the shop, they took everything apart and traced all of the wires. No Trouble Found.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Do you have the upgraded speedo bucket? You can tell by the turn signals. If they are Amber its the old one if they are green its the new bucket.

Here is the other problem. The rubber sleeve around the wires loom tends to get brittle with the older bikes and break off leaving jagged edges. I had a customer that it cut into the wire shorting the speedo and odometer. It was the wires coming out of the bucket.

I would suggest you remove the seat and tank and check the wires from the bucket back.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Do you have the upgraded speedo bucket? You can tell by the turn signals. If they are Amber its the old one if they are green its the new bucket.

Here is the other problem. The rubber sleeve around the wires loom tends to get brittle with the older bikes and break off leaving jagged edges. I had a customer that it cut into the wire shorting the speedo and odometer. It was the wires coming out of the bucket.

I would suggest you remove the seat and tank and check the wires from the bucket back.
Also, did you recently change out the oem bulb with possibly a higher amp draw bulb? If the relay is bad, it would seem to me it would just stop working all together. Does it happen when you go from low beam to high beam? If so, then maybe it's the switch.
Just my .02 along with D's.

I would verify the wires not going to ground myself even though the tech said they checked it.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
First off the driving lights, and tail light are on a different circuit. The speedo, headlight, brake light, and horn all are on the same fuse.
Check brake light, and horn operation for starters.

If they work without blowing the fuse. Start bike, and turn bars left, and right while moving the harness where it cross's the neck.

If that gets you nowhere then pull the bulb, and inspect the harness in the bucket. It will often rub through where it is zip tied to the speedo bracket, or where the harness exits the bucket

·
Registered
12 Posts
Jonesie

Most likely you have a bad wire going to fuse!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Problem solved, sort of...

I've narrowed it down to either the driving lights or the hi/lo switch. I've been running the high beams since my last post, and the fuse hasn't blown. I'll investigate further when the weather warms up (no garage). Right now I'm too busy riding! Thanks for all the replies!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Old issue and may have been covered elsewhere but thought I'd share my experience. Same symptoms, traced it to a bad speedometer sensor that runs through a relay and then to the same 20amp headlight/brakelight/horn fuse. It isn't listed on the fuse box label. Sometimes they'll go bad and the speedo will still work for a while, complicating the troubleshooting process in your head. Just disconnect the speedo connector below the fuse box by the frame and turn the ignition on with a fresh fuse.

If it doesn't blow order a sensor, about a hundred bucks and simple to change out. That would be the 1st thing I'd check when the fuse blows, much easier than the other steps like unplugging all the sub-harnesses to isolate the issue and pulling the tank/seat to check the loom for shorts.

Some have had the headlight bucket chafe the loom causing a short, there is no factory grommet to protect the loom as on some later models. An easy fix is to get some larger shrink tubing, cut it down one side, open it up and contact cement it to the inside and outside of the housing making an effective chafe guard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts