Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2002 V92TC a month ago. I have put about 800 miles on it and now and again the check engine will flash in the mfd. It seems to happen when I stop at lights, etc. If I turn the bike off and restart it the check engine will not flash. The bike runs great. Are there some things I can check before taking it to a dealer?
Thanks, Greg

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yes, I have the same problem. Bought my bike a year ago, strip and rebuild, on the road finally this week. Engine runs great but mfd flashes check eng after riding several kms. checked all wiring .ok.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I talked to the service departments of three Victory dealers and they all said to bring the bike in. One said that that there is no memory so the check engine light would have to be flashing to see the code. Another said to disconnect the battery and that might reset the mfd. (kind of like rebooting a computer) I disconnected the negative on the battery and cleaned the cable ends. They looked pretty clean to start with. We have had rain for the last week, so today was my first chance to go for a ride. I rode for about 15 minutes and the check engine light started flashing. I stopped to see if I had some heaver gloves because it was only 40 degrees out this morning. I shut the bike down and turned the key to off. A couple of minutes later I started the bike and rode for a couple of hours and the check engine light never came back on. I was stop and go through towns and 70 mph on the express way. I am hopping that the light stays off. I really don't want to spend $85.00 and have the bike at the shop for a couple of days. The bike really runs great.
Thanks, Greg 2002 V92TC Deluxe 53000 miles

·
Registered
135 Posts
Gidday Greg, that the exact same fault as I have. I have been riding each day [6] and sometimes light wont come on, or not for more than an hour, and next time it may be after start up.
It must log a fault code in its memory each time. I have a Hanatech scantool but dont want to hook it up after the warnings on here from Kevinx. My closest dealer is in Auckland over 1000km away.

·
Registered
135 Posts
As a matter of interest Greg, what is your reading on the mfd of the alt voltage? Mine only gets to 13.8 or 13.9 while a DMM reads 14.5 at the battery.

ALL BLACKS WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again for the replies. The voltage on the mfd reads 13.8 to 13.9. I think that is OK. Good luck finding what is causing your check engine light to flash. I did not get to ride today. The V92TC is really a great bike.
Thanks, Greg 2002 V92TC Deluxe 53000 miles

·
Registered
135 Posts
Gidday again Greg, I rode 200km yesterday and the light never came on. I have had the ecu disconnected for 12 months while I rebuilt the bike so maybe there is a relearn procedure happening.

·
Registered
156 Posts
How old is the battery? , your voltage may be low when starting, then it charges the battery after running it. Then on a restart after running it the check engine light doesn't appear. this has happened to me. do you keep a battery tender on the battery? Something to think about.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I rode for about three hours Saturday and then again on Sunday. The check engine light never flashed either day.
Thanks for everyone's feedback. Greg
2002 V92TC Deluxe 53000 miles

·
Registered
135 Posts
Gidday Greg, I have found my fault, and I bet it is a common one. I plugged in my hanatech ultrascan [Sorry Kevin..but I was caught between a rock etc] and got codes Po500 vss "A" and Po704 clutch switch input circuit malfunction. The only common things are neutral and clutch switches. The plunger in the clutch switch was sticking intermittently, therefore only the ch eng coming on occasionally. freed up the plunger and cleaned, cleared the codes and all is well.cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am glad you solved your check engine problem. I was out on Saturday and Sunday and the check engine light started flashing Saturday when I was in stop and go traffic. It continued flashing Saturday and all day Sunday. The light always seems to start flashing when I am doing a lot of shifting in stop and go traffic. Where is the clutch switch located. Is this something that a real mechanic needs to look at or could a novice garage mechanic (me) check it out?
Thanks, Greg
2002 V92TC Deluxe

·
Registered
135 Posts
Gidday Greg, the switch is in the lever housing underneath. 10mm spanner and loosen nut a few turns, prise switch down gently. Check with multimeter. I bet the plunger is sticky like mine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts