Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of these two bikes? Will be between years 2011-2013. Anyone thats drove both have opinions on how they ride/handle compared to each other. I usually drive sport bikes but i have a 10 month old daughter and another on the way. My sr22 insurance finally drops off in 7 days. Thinking its best i get a cruiser to keep me outta trouble. After looking around i like the victory's the best, esp 8 ball editions. Anything you can tell me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Registered
396 Posts
these bikes are completely different from each
other in appearance,handling,and comfort.
the vegas has a lower center of gravity,seems
lighter,and turns easier than the hammer,and
has a slightly more comfortable seat.
the hammers seat is a little higher,and is not
as comfortable,and takes more effort to initiate,
and hold the bike into a turn.
this being said,the only way to find out what
bike is the best for you is to test ride them.
ps:while you are there test ride the high ball
i think you will be pleasantly surprised.
either way you cant go wrong with a vic!;)

·
Registered
336 Posts
I personally don't like the feel of the big tire on the Hammer (or any bike for that matter) in the twistys. Yeah you can get used to it, but a 180 seems to be the sweet spot for me.

With that said, the Hammer is a pretty awesome "profiling" bike and when you whack the throttle, the power all gets to that big back tire pretty quickly. No idea if Victory changed the gearing on the Hammer from the Vegas, but it seems to have much more of an on / off feel to it which I found appealing on that bike.

While not exactly an apples to apples comparison, since you came from a sport bike world, my wife had a GSXR 750 (think Vegas) and I rode a ZX14 (think Hammer) before I bought my XR. Of course she could get into the turns quicker and it took me considerably more effort, but in the end, we both ended up at the same stopping point.....after I passed her in the straights.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am going to have to find out when there doing any riding events around my area. ive called everywhere within 150 miles from me and no one has a hammer 8 ball. theres a vegas 8 ball 30 miles away. im only 5"7", idk if the difference in the seat height would make a difference or not. ive sat on the vegas and thought it was comfortable but im assuming id think anything is comfortable when your used to riding a rocket. my dad has an 03 harley fatboy with ape hangers. ive drove that a couple times. not really my cup of tea. not to bad tho. hopefully i can find a place thats doing test rides!! i was set on a vegas 8 ball till i seen pics of the hammer. i just love how that fat tire looks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hammer 8 ball

i am going to have to find out when there doing any riding events around my area. ive called everywhere within 150 miles from me and no one has a hammer 8 ball. theres a vegas 8 ball 30 miles away. im only 5"7", idk if the difference in the seat height would make a difference or not. ive sat on the vegas and thought it was comfortable but im assuming id think anything is comfortable when your used to riding a rocket. my dad has an 03 harley fatboy with ape hangers. ive drove that a couple times. not really my cup of tea. not to bad tho. hopefully i can find a place thats doing test rides!! i was set on a vegas 8 ball till i seen pics of the hammer. i just love how that fat tire looks
I love my Hammer, and almost bought a new 8 ball version. You don't have your location listed so I dont know where you are. My closest dealer (Richmond KY) has a 2012 Hammer 8 Ball in stock.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love my Hammer, and almost bought a new 8 ball version. You don't have your location listed so I dont know where you are. My closest dealer (Richmond KY) has a 2012 Hammer 8 Ball in stock.
sorry im in plainview nebraska. ill go update my info

·
Registered
75 Posts
I purchased the Vegas 8 because of how it felt in the seat and because of the way it can move in the turns.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
336 Posts
Just jump on any model Hammer that you can in the years you are looking at. Doesn't have to be an 8 Ball to at least give you a feel for the Hammer as a bike.

Looks like the demo tour isn't coming to Nebraska until October but it is stopping at three dealers.

http://www.victorymotorcycles.com/en-us/test-ride/pages/national-demo-tour.aspx

Check the schedule for other states if they are close enough.

·
Registered
262 Posts
If you like sport bikes then maybe you should test ride a judge. The riding position is closer to a sport bike.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you like sport bikes then maybe you should test ride a judge. The riding position is closer to a sport bike.
the one thing i dont like about a sports bike is the riding position! Ive watched a few videos on the judge. The bike just doesn't appeal to me like the other two. Im sure if i get a chance ill def jump on one tho. I like the orange paint

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just jump on any model Hammer that you can in the years you are looking at. Doesn't have to be an 8 Ball to at least give you a feel for the Hammer as a bike.

Looks like the demo tour isn't coming to Nebraska until October but it is stopping at three dealers.

http://www.victorymotorcycles.com/en-us/test-ride/pages/national-demo-tour.aspx

Check the schedule for other states if they are close enough.
Thanks! I may have to wait till october, fremont is only a little over an hour drive..i read somewhere if u buy a bike within a certain amount of time after a demo, they give a discount. Is that true?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I went to four demos last year and all were offering a voucher for $1000 off if you purchased the bike within a week. I did at the last one. Not sure if they are doing the same thing this year or not. Might be some info on the website.

·
Registered
81 Posts
They're still offering the $1000 (or $750) off depending on the bike. In May of this year, the coupon was good for 2 weeks. I used it on a Cross Country Tour!

·
Registered
155 Posts
i have a 2010 vegas 8 and my friend has a 2010 hammer 8.both of them with the 5 speed.while i do like the way the tire looks i would not buy one because of the ride diff between the two and the seat.i know they are older than what you are looking for but thought it might help.i also do not think the power gains are enough to warrent the extra money.they put out the same torque.two grand thats a pipe,intake,programmer,and cams.bet you would smoke a hammer then.cheers

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hey guys and gals. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of these two bikes? Will be between years 2011-2013. Anyone thats drove both have opinions on how they ride/handle compared to each other. I usually drive sport bikes but i have a 10 month old daughter and another on the way. My sr22 insurance finally drops off in 7 days. Thinking its best i get a cruiser to keep me outta trouble. After looking around i like the victory's the best, esp 8 ball editions. Anything you can tell me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
I understand where you're coming from as these were the two models that brought me in when I was considering getting my Victory. Fortunately, my dealer is really good at letting people do test rides so I was able to ride both bikes, as well as others before making my decision. I ended up with a High Ball...but here were my impressions.

In terms of acceleration and throttle response, I couldn't tell any difference. As others have stated, there is a clear handling difference between the 8 Ball and Hammer. The Hammer takes a bit more effort to turn due to it's rear wheel, the 8 Ball is much more nimble but the skinny front tire transmits any road imperfections right through the handlebars to the rider. This isn't a big deal to some, but as a sport bike rider who's used to fatter front tires it may catch you by surprise.

Ultimately, it was because of these two issues that I ended up getting the High Ball, which seemed the best of both worlds with fatter front and skinnier rear tires. It's actually pretty close in tire size to most sport bikes, and the handling was pretty similar. I was a bit leary of the ape handlebars, but I found out I really loved them.

At any rate, you'll probably want to drive both bikes if you can because they are very different rides in my opinion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts