Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I posted this in the tech and performance section but have not got a response sooooo.
I put the Hammer shock on my Vegas 8 Ball to get the extra inch of travel and to raise the bike up some, the shock is 1" longer than my stock shock. Should I just add an inch to my preload setting or should I go with the Hammer preload setting? Or better yet how much should the bike sag from sitting without a load to with a load. I'm setting for 2 up riding.
Thank you:grin

·
12,970 Posts
either way its going to be trial and error. Just start adjusting and keeps notes so you don't have to remember what you did last

·
Registered
566 Posts
Maybe compare the Hammer spec for sag and the 8ball and try to first set it in the middle, as a starting point. In the end, Johnny is right, you'll have to find that number where with your passenger, you don't bottom out over bumps, so it'll be trial and error.

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what I found out was you can't achieve the Hammer preload height for 2 up. When I got close and my wife got off the bike the shock would top out when I was by my self. What I did is adjusted the preload to when I'm on the bike solo the shock doesn't top out. I've rode it a little and it feels much better, can't wait to get the wife on the bike to see how she likes it but I'm sure it's better then it was. The bike rides higher so no more dragging pegs in the turns. I got this idea from this read Victory Vegas 8-Ball Project: "Evil 8" Part 2 This is page 2 of a 3 page read. Don't think I'll go as far as they did. I have a Cross Country in my future.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So after riding the bike 2 up and solo everything is perfect. This is the best mod I could have done to this bike. The ride is very smooth, no bottoming out and if I should drag a peg in a turn now I'm going way to fast. Totally worth it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts