Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Cleaning up the sharp edges on the barrel the lever end goes into, and the sharp edges on the slot in the lever itself will greatly increase the longevity. Once that is done lubing the cable every oil change with a good lube, and injection system like "Cable Life" brand will keep you going for a very long time.

Now all that said. The most common mistake I see is people trying to install the cable without removing the lever. Sure it can be done, but the cable gets kinkes, and breaks every time

·
Registered
119 Posts
What is the difference between the "emergency" clutch cables and the replacement cables. I haven't yet, but I have been told to buy and keep an emergency cable with me on the bike. My son had a clutch cable go at around 14K?? Is that average w/o cleaning the sharp edges? I am copying this responses to a Victory email file I keep of your recomendations. I hope it is legal. If not, forget I told you.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
What is the difference between the "emergency" clutch cables and the replacement cables. I haven't yet, but I have been told to buy and keep an emergency cable with me on the bike. My son had a clutch cable go at around 14K?? Is that average w/o cleaning the sharp edges? I am copying this responses to a Victory email file I keep of your recomendations. I hope it is legal. If not, forget I told you.
I carry one of the emergancy cables in my bag even though I maintain mine. I got it from Cycle Ops
http://www.cycleopsusa.com/morevictoryparts.html
[about half way down the page]
These cables slide in the sheath the original cable comes in, and hav an end with a screw lock that you slip on, adjust, and tighten. While it works great to keep you on the road. The screw will eventually eat through the cable, and either slip out of adjustment, or break again.

14K sounds about right for a cable that is not regularly maintained like I said previously.

I am honoured that you would want to copy the recomend, and only ask one thing. Just keep credit[or blame] where it is due. In the past on the net I have found complete articles that I have written, but posted under other peoples names. I can think of few things that pissed me off more then that. It is because I called out the owner of the KEG site on this. That I no longer post there, and in fact he has a filter that will eliminate my name if you post it*LOL*

·
Registered
119 Posts
I will use what integrety I have left to not act like I really know anything YET about maintaining my 07 Kingpin tour. I rely on one of my sons to give me some advice since he has had his "05 Hammer since '05 new. He tells me of what friends have done etc. I would like to do some of the simple things myself. I had an old Honda years ago, all yo had to do was change plugs, points, oil, and use fresh gas it would run forever. (some brakes etc.) Thank you Kevinx!
(Kevin is my oldest son's name, 39)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Clutch

Cleaning up the sharp edges on the barrel the lever end goes into, and the sharp edges on the slot in the lever itself will greatly increase the longevity. Once that is done lubing the cable every oil change with a good lube, and injection system like "Cable Life" brand will keep you going for a very long time.

Now all that said. The most common mistake I see is people trying to install the cable without removing the lever. Sure it can be done, but the cable gets kinkes, and breaks every time
I've got an 08 kingpin eightball with less than 10K in miles and I am presently replacing the clutch cable for the second time. Once it broke at the lever and this time down at the clutch. Victory dealer has done all my servicing and the manual only calls for lube at 10K.
Tried the factory phone number to get help but as well have been talking to someone in Delhi.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I've got an 08 kingpin eightball with less than 10K in miles and I am presently replacing the clutch cable for the second time. Once it broke at the lever and this time down at the clutch. Victory dealer has done all my servicing and the manual only calls for lube at 10K.
Tried the factory phone number to get help but as well have been talking to someone in Delhi.

Don't really care what the book calls for. Lube the cable at every service. Also DO NOT USE the crap Vic sells for lubing the cable. My customers have a VERY low instance of cable failure.
As an afterthought here. If you wash your bike with water put bags over both your clutch, and throttle housing to keep water intrusin down

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Hey Kevin...what do you think odf the after market clutch assists? ( E-Z Assist Clutch )
Not a big fan. They work well for some, but I have also seen them make clutch adjustments VERY touchy, and the angle of the cable at the bottom can cause the cable to tear where it leaves the sleave

·
Registered
99 Posts
OK thanks mate will steer clear. Just de burr and lube! Would Graphite dust be any good as a dry solution or does it have to be wet lube?

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
OK thanks mate will steer clear. Just de burr and lube! Would Graphite dust be any good as a dry solution or does it have to be wet lube?

I prefer the stuff called "Cable Life" it comes with a clamp on tool, and flushes it clean as well as lubing it

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks for your advice Kevin and Diamond. I orderd an Emergency clutch cable from Cycleopsusa last night, and I told Will that I was using your referral. I won't say what he said. He still sold it to me.
Just kidding. I will feel a more comfortable knowing I am prepared. Now to get some "Cablelife Spray Lube". Thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Where to get Cable Life

Kevin,

Where is a good place to get Cable Life?

Thanks,
VegasRider

·
Registered
119 Posts
Kevin, VegasRider,

I used "CableLife" to lube my cables, but the package I purchased had the fitting with two screws, and felt to was too big (long)to fit
onto my clutch cable at top. Did I just not try hard enough? I asked the mechanic and he uses a fitting with just one screw. Is that the old style, or did I just buy the wrong can / fitting for a Victory. I purchased it at a local MC supply store. 21.00. (6oz can. & fitting)

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Kevin, VegasRider,

I used "CableLife" to lube my cables, but the package I purchased had the fitting with two screws, and felt to was too big (long)to fit
onto my clutch cable at top. Did I just not try hard enough? I asked the mechanic and he uses a fitting with just one screw. Is that the old style, or did I just buy the wrong can / fitting for a Victory. I purchased it at a local MC supply store. 21.00. (6oz can. & fitting)

I use the one with two screws, but I disassemble the cable, and lever. This way I can deburr, and clean, and grease the stuff while I have it apart.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Do you take the cable adjusters under the seat completely out of the threads to get that fitting on?? Or do you bury the threads together, in order to lube? I don't remember what I did, but I used quite a bit of spray to finally get enough to run at the bottom of the cable. I'll do it right next time. Thanks Kevin

·
Registered
60 Posts
Where to get CableLife

Kevin,

Can you recommend a good place online to get CableLife and similar supplies?

Thanks,
VegasRider

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Do you take the cable adjusters under the seat completely out of the threads to get that fitting on?? Or do you bury the threads together, in order to lube? I don't remember what I did, but I used quite a bit of spray to finally get enough to run at the bottom of the cable. I'll do it right next time. Thanks Kevin
I do the entire thing at the lever. One good five second blast will make it from end to end. When I am done it looks like you have an oil leak at the bottom end of cable*LOL*

As for where to get it. Hell I just go to the parts counter. I think we order from Tucker Rocky

1 - 20 of 22 Posts