Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a Vegas a 2 weeks ago and I've noticed that the bike doesn't seem to roll smoothly from a stop. I generally only notice it when I'm first going out for a ride, and specifically when I try to roll the bike out of the shed (while off). It's as I'm holding the brake, but once it breaks loose every few feet you can feel it catch again briefly.

While riding I'll notice it when first accelerating, but after I have any kind of speed it's perfectly smooth.

Any ideas on things I should be checking? Brakes? Belt? Other?

2013 Vegas 8 Ball

·
Premium Member
4,893 Posts
Do you wash it with water? Was it wet outside when you put it away?

Sounds like the rotors and pads are rusted. After you ride/use the brakes, it's fine, because you rubbed the rust off.

Normal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm confident it isn't brake dust. It's only a day or two between rides and you can really feel the motor lugging when it happens, which there's no way brake dust could do.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I don't move well until I get warmed up either.

Check your clutch adjustment.

Any noise? Like from brakes? My fronts don't release properly.

Check the rotors/wheel are true and rivets are free.

·
Premium Member
4,893 Posts
Hold on... you said it did this rolling it out of the shed.
I said RUST not DUST. The pads will rust to the rotor if the bike is parked wet. Using the brakes rubs it off. Cars do it, bikes do it, it is what it is.

If it does this riding it, that's different.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I would get the wheels up off the ground and rotate them and see if there is any binding or dragging ....

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I'm gonna go with....you are rolling it with the bike in gear, and the clutch pulled in. Remembering that these bikes use a wet clutch, and the oil between the plates can in fact give you a very light engagement. I would try shifting to neutral before rolling it, or holding in the lever for 15-20 seconds; to alow the clutch to drain.
A little "surge" type feeling on post 08 Vics is also normal when cold. Having to do with the multiple loaded split gears in the primary

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went for another ride tonight, and I think it's a combination of issues.

1. Sad to say but the tires were pretty low. I think I was getting flat spots and at any type of speed it would round the tires out. I filled them up and it's seems fine during acceleration.
2. I'll see if Kevin is right about the clutch when I first roll it out of the shed. I'll try hitting neutral before rolling it.

Thanks for the help guys. Hopefully this addresses the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts