Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Vegas 8 ball and am thinking of changing the shock for comfort reasons,am I right in thinking this is a "low" model as theres nothing on the documents to tell either way,thinking of progressive 465-1163 (long) as opposed to short. Has anyone been impressed with an improvement in ride quality with one of these units fitted?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes with little change this is one stiff suspension ridden other cruisers and nothing this hard for Britains potholed shambles.

·
Premium Member
8,966 Posts
I have a 2010 Vegas 8 ball and am thinking of changing the shock for comfort reasons,am I right in thinking this is a "low" model as theres nothing on the documents to tell either way,thinking of progressive 465-1163 (long) as opposed to short. Has anyone been impressed with an improvement in ride quality with one of these units fitted?
Yeah mate I got the standard height(long) Progressive 465 on my 2010 Vegas , and its magic!
No comparison with stock.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah mate I got the standard height(long) Progressive 465 on my 2010 Vegas , and its magic!
No comparison with stock.
Thanks for that,Victory just give us spring adjustment which is ok on a small capacty commuter bike but I expected some damping variation too,even my 90s Bandit had that.

·
Premium Member
8,966 Posts
Thanks for that,Victory just give us spring adjustment which is ok on a small capacty commuter bike but I expected some damping variation too,even my 90s Bandit had that.
Vics are built to a price, stock suspension is probably ok for the average rider, half the people on here go and lower em!
Get a Progressive and you'll find it great even before you start setting up your personal rebound preferences.
If Vic fitted high end suspension the price of the bike would go up.
Expectations are a setup for disapointment.

·
Premium Member
8,966 Posts
What about the front end,anyone had any work done on their forks etc.
changed the fluid in mine to full synthetic and added 5mm more.
Soon as I upgraded the rear the front felt iffy.
It was double the service interval though, shoulda been done a lot earlier.
Not hard to dump the old, flush, and refill with good stuff.
I clean my seals with a home made sealmate when they start pumping out oil, that sorts em out.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yes with little change this is one stiff suspension ridden other cruisers and nothing this hard for Britains potholed shambles.
That sucks, brotha... mine used to ride like a 70s Cadillac with blown shocks when it was on the softest setting. I preloaded it maybe a third of the way down and it rides great now.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
Fitting this in the front fork ???

·
Premium Member
154 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Have just done a sag measurement-bike up suspension extended front 150mm rear 400mm,bike at rest front 125mm rear 395mm,rider on bike front 110 rear 375mm. Does anyone know if these readings are correct 92kg rider.

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
my understanding is that it sits on top of dampening rod under your spring..
this is on vegas type forks not the up

http://www.suspensionsrus.com.au/images/stories/virtuemart/product/gold-valve-emulators.jpg

looks like I will be getting them as one of my forks started leaking .35000klms will just do them first..pulled forks down today..
My front fork started leaking at 10K

So you are putting new seals in as well as this gold valve?
Do you think it will make a difference for the better?
Do you need any special tools to do this job ?
I bought the fork oil in Singapore and the seals are coming from HondaEast, I'll buy measurement glass of 1000 ml for measuring the fluids ...

Anything else i forget ?

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
ok heres the link to the us site
http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/Victory/VEGAS/2007

there is a setup pdf on the site

i think the best way is to measure the oil height i believe mbx had a thread in which he changed his fork oil,

iam going to give some a try .as i will be keeping the bike for a
few years yet.

·
Premium Member
8,966 Posts
ok heres the link to the us site
http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/Victory/VEGAS/2007

there is a setup pdf on the site

i think the best way is to measure the oil height i believe mbx had a thread in which he changed his fork oil,

iam going to give some a try .as i will be keeping the bike for a
few years yet.
Yes for fluid capacity measure from top of fork tube to fluid level. I forget what I did mine at but if you go back through my threads youll no doubt find it and bring it up.
I clicked on that site for those gold valve emulators but when I clicked on them, or tapped rather as im on my phone, the description kept running off the page! And I couldnt catch it enough to read.....what are they?...air caps? Had air caps on my 900 bol d'or Honda a few years back, could vary frint preload via hand pump.
I think if youre after ultimate in front ends the way to go is the way a mate went on his 130/130 Harley and have a complete GSXR 1000 front end fitted (or similar)

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
this has a good view

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Race-Valve-Cartridge-Emulator-Color/dp/B003RFAARS[/ame]

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Been following the thread, I have a '14 boardwalk. Initial impressions of the suspension were, the front was way too soft and the rear way too firm/harsh ( a consequence of the lowered rear?) I've had the emulators fitted to the forks along with uprated fork springs. stock spring rate is something like 0.67kg/mm the new springs are 0.90kg/mm doesn't sound like much but it made a huge difference.the new springs and emulators transformed the front end and really highlighted how bad the rear was.I then installed a progressive 465-1163 (long version) to pick up some ground clearance.Fitted the shock myself very straight forward task.
The emulators were not a straight forward install, they required some machining to fit. I had this work done at Shocktreatment , southwest of Sydney. Top blokes, really helpful and they know there stuff.
To summarise; the front feels more controlled now with less dive under braking, the rear is also more compliant with far fewer big hits making their way through to me and the pillion in a million. The extra clearance helps too with less grinding of the floorboards. By the way I'm 89Kg's, my last ride was a ZRX1100 so whilst it wasn't a superbike,it did stop and turn pretty good. Probably the reason why I've gone to such lengths with the Boardy.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts