Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I just finished riding my 2011 Vegas 8ball and when I get off I start to smell and see a lil smoke. So I trace where the smoke was coming from and it was coming g from the oil dipstick area. So I cut the bike back on and there's no smoke. Then I give it a little throttle a couple of times and there goes the little hint of smoke coming from the dipstick area. Does this mean my oil is burning when I hit the throttle or does anyone have clue. Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
You probably have a oil leak in that area and it burning off the hot motor. If you where burning oil the smoke would be coming out the exhaust.

·
Registered
207 Posts
If you didn't add oil before your ride, I would pull the dipstick and check the o ring on it for damage. They usually seal pretty darn good. Check around for leaks, as small as they may be.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No leaks, no oil coming out or around dipstick bcuz I haven't put any in it and the dipstick is in perfect condition with O ring still in tack. I checked very close and the only time barely smoked is when I hit the throttle. Could there be something wrong with fuel line or something???

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Pcv

I would check the PCV hose going into the top of the rear of the engine. Make sure that hose did not come off. I have had mine come off on my bike. If the hose is cracked or stretched out it can come off. It is behind the rear cylinder on the top of the engine over the trans.

·
Premium Member
13,312 Posts
I've been seeing the breather L-shaped boot coming from the top of the engine above the transmission (not far from the dipstick) go bad lately. Maybe some oil mist is hitting your cylinder and burning just enough to see and smell some mild smoke. Might want to make sure the breather line is in good shape while checking it out.

·
Registered
156 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to replace the O ring on the dipstick anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
My rear header pipe had a hole under the chrome shield. It was the puff of smoke that got me looking in the right place. The shield isn’t too hard to remove for diagnostics.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sooo, I believe I figured out what it is that's doing the smoking. Wish I could post the video so u guys could see it but I kinda just notice that I have slip on pipes that have the fasteners on them to keep the slip on from coming off. I guess now that some or 2 of the fasteners are getting too hot! Does anyone know of any other types of fasteners that can take extreme heat? The 2nd pic is where the small amounts of smoke was coming from.

Attachments

·
13,043 Posts
pull the muffler and with a hacksaw puts some cross hache cuts in pipe you'll only need 2 cuts. Then put muffler back on and you should be fine. Sometimes the cuts in the muffler is not enough

1 - 14 of 14 Posts