Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I pick up my highball tomorrow morning. The last 2 years I've been riding a Modded Buell Firebolt XB12R in the hunched over sport position. I really don't want to part with it, but I can only ride one and a time and I'll need to knock the payments down on the HighBall.

Having to do pretty much all my own service, tuning and modifications on the Buell, I'm glad for the wrenching experience...(especially because those Harley techs couldn't provide much by way of service or support for a Fuel Injected Vtwin) but now I ran out of things to mod (within good taste anyway). While a thumper sport bike gets you a lot of attention at the lights in NYC... a quick ROAAAAAAAAAR and there you are again at the next stop light. With no room to run and no twisties, too much bike is left on the table.... and part of me just wants to turn the key, get on and ride with chin up and my fists in the wind, now. Hopefully a lot of Vic owners are gear heads.

Cheers,
Jay

P.S. being i couldn't totally give up the growl of my previous gutted can, I opted for an RPW Big Slash and Power Commander for my highball... but something is backordered so i'll have to wait a few weeks.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Congrats on your decision to buy the HB and welcom to the Victory Forums!
I hope you realize your days of looking like a gorilla trying to screw a mailbox (or toaster - your choice) are done and will be replaced by your chin in the wind!

There are quite a few people on here that do their own mods but the majority are bolts ons. There are a couple of really good threads on cam swaps which even though they are on X bikes will still relate to your bike. There are actually very few people that have had to learn how to do much with anything internal on the engine or the tranny because theses bikes are built pretty solid and don't give many problems.

The most common problem that new owners are seeing is loose battery cables which causes running problems, stalling, and hard to start conditions. So when you get you bike make sure to check your battery connections and ensure they are tight. While you're checking you may want to added star washers (lock washers) to your battery cables to make sure they don't work loose.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome, Ammo.

Wish I could say shes home without a scratch, but I think I scraped a peg on the way home. (Queue the flashback of my mothers voice telling me "this is why we cant have nice things...."). I guess part of me is still trying to own the corners...

The Highball Ride was real smooth. The bars didn't take as much getting used to as I thought. The clutch is a harder pull, but i'll get used to it. All in all I love my HB. Interesting enough the Victory tech showed some interest asked me how much I was interested in letting my Buell go for.

The solid reputation was one of the biggest selling point on the Vics to me. I started with bolt ons, but I gradually escalated on to the other things. The Buells were a marvel in that respect, considering they were saddled with a harley sporster engine. There was a bond born of love because they demanded a lot of their owners that I almost wonder what I will do with myself with the free time the Highball will allow me in the garage. I'm sure between cleaning and maybe some fabrication, I'll find something. In the mean time.. just riding sounds pretty good to me. I'll look into those star washers. Thanks Again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts