Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just took the scoot to Daytona and back and the machine handled beyond all expectations except for one. Coming home we took I-75 to I-10 with the cruise set between 80-90mph (still getting passed of course) consistently for around 4 hours. The heat coming from the left pipe got so intense that the wife's shampoo, moisturizer etc melted several of the bottles. The bottles were at the top of the bag leaning against the scoot side wall. My pipes have been de-cored so you can hear it and that's it for mods. There was a significant amount of black on the outside of the stock chrome exhaust end cap, the right side pipe and bag were fine. I am thinking maybe the front cylinder just got hotter than the rear. Any thoughts or suggestions as to the overheating issue that caused the contents to melt? Thanks!

Oops forgot to mention after this trip the bike has 4500mi on it, stock air breather and plugs

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
When asking for help on an issue, its really helpful to list exactly what type of bike you're riding and what mods have been done. I read you're post its "kind of" confusing. Also it would be helpful to let us know what kind of conditions you were riding in, what the temperature was and if you have any airflow mods or controls? Did you or your wife feel any excess heat during this ride?
I've been dealing with some severe "heat issues" on my XC but melting plastic bottles in the bags seems very extreme.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
update on overheating w/pics

Some additional information. 2016 XCT with everything stock except the baffles have been removed. 400mi down to Daytona there was no excess heat felt by either myself or my wife, temps were between 73-88F and overcast. Avg speeds heading down were 55-60mph non interstate travel.

On the return the temps were almost identical plus it rained on I-10 for about 100 miles. Speeds along I-75 then I-10 cruise was set at 85/90mph for about 350 of the 400 miles home. Lower fairing vents were full open and the leg fairing vents were wide open as well. On the interstate, particularly the last 150 miles you could really feel engine heat almost as bad as when we had our full dresser on road trips. This scoot has not been run at those speeds consistently before but I do not feel with the design of this engine and scoot overall we should have had these problems. Opinion and suggestions welcome.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Very interesting, subscribed and cannot help you, waiting for answer

TaPaTaLk for VIC forum

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's possible you could be in a lean condition since you haven't increased the fuel after the exhaust mod but it may not matter since you didn't increase the air flow.

·
13,002 Posts
FL2016XCTowner

you do not have to double post on the same subject. Its not nice to do

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes the cats are still alive and wondering why it would be the left side only and not both. I will swing by the V dealer today for their thoughts, glad I have the full 5yr warranty. I will update this thread with the dealer's remarks.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I'd like to hear what KevinX thinks. Off the top of my head, I think you must be running super lean with O2 still plugged in?
I agree , sounds like a seriously lean condition to me .

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Yes the cats are still alive and wondering why it would be the left side only and not both. I will swing by the V dealer today for their thoughts, glad I have the full 5yr warranty. I will update this thread with the dealer's remarks.
Your's is a new "heat issue" too me. I know that over heating cats can generate enough heat to cause that melting. My best guess is running fast with the lower vents open is directing heat to the bag area and trapping it there. What I also can't understand is how you and/or your passenger have things melting in the bags but can't feel excess heat? When my cats over heated it was a blast furnace on my bike.
One other thing I'm wondering, is if the diverter valve is broke or stuck and all the exhaust with the heat from the cats is being force down the left pipe and super heating it under the bag.

Peeps.....Lean AFR conditions do not cause the cats to overheat, lean AFRs causes the engine to run hotter. Enriching the AFR will cause the cats to get hotter and overheating issues.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I would pull the plugs for inspection .....

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
This is a 2016 model , the 02 sensors play a much larger and differing role then any previous model years , PaiN , you can not compare this bike to ours .... If you disconnect the 02 sensors on a 2016 you will get a check engine light .

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I would be checking for an intake manifold leak just in case, or take it in and have it checked. That hot something must be wrong. Unless you ordered it with the cook your lunch while traveling easy bake oven feature

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Unless you ordered it with the cook your lunch while traveling easy bake oven feature
Good idea Joe_ .....just in case FL2016XCTowner can't solve this issue, I suggest a boil-n-bag lunch to make the best of the situation :laugh

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have an appt tomorrow at the dealer. On the phone describing the issue all I heard was crickets on the other end followed up with, "you should probably bring it in". Should be interesting to say the very least.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
On the phone describing the issue all I heard was crickets on the other end followed up with, "you should probably bring it in".
That is dealer code for , "We have no fucking idea what's wrong with it , and probably still wont after we look at it"....:ltr:

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
That is dealer code for , "We have no fucking idea what's wrong with it , and probably still wont after we look at it"....:ltr:
I'm betting the dealer blames the issue on having gutted mufflers.....

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I'm betting the dealer blames the issue on having gutted mufflers.....
If he does you would be better off with a Power commander than a download.
However the PowerCommander will void your warranty and the download won't.
You'll have to weigh that one out for yourself.

Completely skip the Polaris high performance filter as it doesn't filter the air very well, letting dirt through and there are better options if you decide you need a High Performance air filter which you probably don't really..

Good luck. hopefully they will sort it out for you.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
To get that hot, there has to be some sort of blockage. Running lean shouldn't do that. Running rich is more likely the cause of excessive heat in the exhaust

1 - 20 of 51 Posts