Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done enough reading on this subject to make my head spin...and it kinda did. To my surprise, there is a wide spectrum of "proper" settings suggested for the VFC, even on the same or similar bikes. After reading for hours, I was only more confused than when I started. I understand that on highly modified bikes there are many more variables. But a bike with an air filter and pipes, with nothing more seems to be a very popular configuration, and "should" be easy to figure out...

So I took the advice of some forum members, and went straight to the top. I contacted the 2 most highly recommended Victory guys in the country as far as I could find, and asked them this question...

-"I have a 2013 Cross Country Tour. The only add ons are the D&D Slip ons, the Lloyds air filter, and the VFC3. (With o2 sensors unplugged as per the VFC instructions) What should the VFC settings be for this bike with this set-up?"

Response #1-
Green-3.5
Yellow-4
Red-1
Green/Blue-0
Yellow/Blue-5
Red/Blue-3

Response #2
Green-1 or 1.5
Yellow-0
Red-0
Green/Blue-0
Yellow/Blue-6.5
Red/Blue-7

As you can see, after asking the experts, I am more confused than ever... How can the recommended settings be so drastically different for the same bike? I've never doubted a word I've heard either of these 2 guys say. But now with 2 totally different answers, I'm not sure what to do. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Anyone with a similar bike and set-up care to share their own numbers for comparison?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated! cheers

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
welcome to the club! LOL

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Perhaps try them both and see which one you like better? That is something I would probably do, for better or for worse....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perhaps try them both and see which one you like better? That is something I would probably do, for better or for worse....
Which I suppose I'll do. I just didn't want to have to try the "seat of the pants Dyno". I would have rather know what settings the bike will be running properly at, and leave it there, instead of just guessing. Getting 2 answers that are so far apart is what dosnt make sense to me. They can't both be right...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Here's the Kevin Cross (kevinx) method for dialing in a VFC3:

Start with all the settings off or to the left.

Find a nice clear “closed course” to do the settings on.

GREEN: Run steady at 30 mph in second gear. Add fuel to the green until the surging stops, then add one full point.

YELLOW: Run steady at 30 mph in second gear. Smack the throttle and concentrate on the acceleration feel. You should notice it getting better as you add yellow. Keep adding yellow until the acceleration feels mushy, then back off one full point from that setting.

RED: Generally green plus one full point. If you want to play with it beyond that, try running at 60 mph in third gear. Do a hard roll on and concentrate on the way it pulls and how hard it pulls.

GREEN-BLUE: Leave off. If you have read Lloyd’s instructions you know what this setting does and if you need it or not. *** This setting is used when Nitrous Oxide is going to be used. It will dump a butt-load of fuel into the engine when the nitrous oxide system is activated.***

RED-BLUE: Generally 2.5 to 3.

YELLOW-BLUE:Generally 2.5 to 3.

As you all know, all bikes
are different, so take these as guidelines and not cold hard facts.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
i have one more suggestion for you, dump the vfc and get a pcv, i had similar mods to yours and even at the lowest settings was to rich on the dyno, dyno guy said i was leaving hp and tq on the table because of to much fuel. if you run it at the suggested 3.5 on the green i will almost guarantee you will get popping because its overly rich, and it may start hard , try 1 for green, and red, 6 for yellow.

if you look at the second suggested settings, 0 means your not adding fuel which what this controller does is adds fuel, it cannot take fuel away, so by having settings at 0-1 your really doing almost nothing so whats the point of having a fuel adding tuner??

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
13,003 Posts
You know all bikes are not the same one will have a tad more power then the other.
Weather you buy a VFC or a PCV your best bet is dynoing the bikes instead off waisting all summer trying to get it right. Guys don't say it but dynoing is the answer.
Take your bike down to The Vic Shop pay him and ride home happy.
In and out in one day

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Here's the Kevin Cross (kevinx) method for dialing in a VFC3:

Start with all the settings off or to the left.

Find a nice clear “closed course” to do the settings on.

GREEN: Run steady at 30 mph in second gear. Add fuel to the green until the surging stops, then add one full point.

YELLOW: Run steady at 30 mph in second gear. Smack the throttle and concentrate on the acceleration feel. You should notice it getting better as you add yellow. Keep adding yellow until the acceleration feels mushy, then back off one full point from that setting.

RED: Generally green plus one full point. If you want to play with it beyond that, try running at 60 mph in third gear. Do a hard roll on and concentrate on the way it pulls and how hard it pulls.

GREEN-BLUE: Leave off. If you have read Lloyd’s instructions you know what this setting does and if you need it or not. *** This setting is used when Nitrous Oxide is going to be used. It will dump a butt-load of fuel into the engine when the nitrous oxide system is activated.***

RED-BLUE: Generally 2.5 to 3.

YELLOW-BLUE:Generally 2.5 to 3.

As you all know, all bikes
are different, so take these as guidelines and not cold hard facts.
Great! ... where were you when I needed you ... are you a LEO? LOL

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
This is why I think I'll just stay stock for a while longer.

·
Registered
321 Posts
W H Y you need a Air/Fuel meter to tune it in properly. All motors are different. It's like trying to make everyone fit into the same size shirt with blanket settings...

See my "Tuning to Reality" thread...

SAFRTool.com to rent from Dobeck...

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
i read some of your thread, my reasoning for thinking the vfc is a pos, like you stated, you are now at a 12.5af at low(rich) almost 15 at cruise(lean) where is your upper end, im going to guess richer then your low end, and you really have no other option then this because all it will do is add more fuel. with a pcv and your af meter you could get it set much much better.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts