Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband I just recently put Heli bars on our cross country's, and now we have some vibration in our mirrors. Bizarre thing about it is that it seems to move from mirror to mirror. Throughout the ride it can be first on the left then the right then sometimes both. Then sometimes it's smooth as glass, no vibration. I don't rember having any vibration in the mirrors with stipe I at all. Anyone ith Helibars have this issue? Anything that can be done? ..I really don't like not having clear view in my mirrors. :mad:

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I have them and yes my mirrors vibrate , the Heli bars are longer so the vibration will be worse than stock bars . I put some Ground Pounder bar end weights to see if that would help and it did a little. At first it used to bug the heck out of me but now I'm kind of used to it. A few things you can do while riding to see better , pull in the clutch and let off the gas for a second for a clear view and another thing I found to do is to use my right hand and just hold the stem of the mirror to steady it for a quick look also.

My little tricks really are just a solution for a quick loo to confirm what your seeing behind you like a cop car or to make sure all your buddies are still behind you.

My mirrors vibrated a fair amount before doing the bars as I came off a Goldwing and they are as steady and clear as a cars mirror, so they have been bugging me for almost three years now. I was told the vibration at certain speeds / rmp's will always be there due to the engine .

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well bummr. I was hoping to hear of some simple , magic cure. :(
I was loving not having virtually no vibration before changing to these bars. I had terrible vibration on my previous Honda Aero anything over 45mph, so I thought I'd died and went to heaven with this XC.

I thought someone on here said something about anti vibration bolt or something. :confused:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
these are the bar end weights
http://www.manicsalamander.com/products.aspx

I tried these and they didn't do much
http://www.vibranator.com/
Hmm.. Is it me or is there not any bar end weights on that page? The XC isn't listed in the drop down menu and I believ they're talking about throttle locks for the right wrist. The Information talks about the bar end weights and how th work etc. but I don't see them( unless I don't know what they look like) how much they are or anything else.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have the HeliBars....love them! When I traded my old Vulcan for the XCT, I swapped mirrors...put the Vic ones on the Kawi and the Kawi ones on the Vic. The dealer did not care I did this, but I did so for one reason....they are a lot bigger. I also added the mirror extenders that were on my Vulcan which are the bomb. I have no issues with the mirrors vibrating....at least none that bother me enough to notice. Because the mirrors are larger than those miniscule Vic ones...I also have the small little round wide-angle mirrors attached...a great help in checking around you. This setup might really help if you are not concerned with the "coolness" of your mirrors. I concern myself with how well they work....and these are wonderful. They came off of a 2012 Vulcan Voyager...the 10mm extenders off of ebay for about $17....and the little round wide angle mirrors from the auto parts store for just a couple bucks...thumb upcheers.

PS...if you click on the Voyager link in my sig line...you can see them on my old bike.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I have the HeliBars....love them! When I traded my old Vulcan for the XCT, I swapped mirrors...put the Vic ones on the Kawi and the Kawi ones on the Vic. The dealer did not care I did this, but I did so for one reason....they are a lot bigger. I also added the mirror extenders that were on my Vulcan which are the bomb. I have no issues with the mirrors vibrating....at least none that bother me enough to notice. Because the mirrors are larger than those miniscule Vic ones...I also have the small little round wide-angle mirrors attached...a great help in checking around you. This setup might really help if you are not concerned with the "coolness" of your mirrors. I concern myself with how well they work....and these are wonderful. They came off of a 2012 Vulcan Voyager...the 10mm extenders off of ebay for about $17....and the little round wide angle mirrors from the auto parts store for just a couple bucks...thumb upcheers.

PS...if you click on the Voyager link in my sig line...you can see them on my old bike.
I know I've looked before with no luck , would you happen to have a part number for those mirrors or a link to buy that set.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I actually get vibration through my stock mirrors. At first they were crystal clear. The nuts that lock them down at the top came loose while riding one day and the mirrors just kindof flopped down. When I got home I tightened them up and that's when they began vibrating. I played with the one on the left a little and it doesn't vibrate now but the right one does. I think (on stock) it has something to do with how tight that nut is. The tighter the nut the stiffer the mirror is to adjust. I think I can work the vibration out by tinkering with it but I never think about it until I'm on the road.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have HB's with mirror extenders installed. When installing the extenders I noticed that the surface they had to sit on was far from flat. I muted much of the potential for vibration by filing the top of that surface true flat. I then mixed up just a bit of jb weld and applied it to that filed surface then bolted down the extender.

But HB's are pretty limber. Some vibration is going to be there. I couldn't ride my CXT comfortably without the HB so the trade off is worth it.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
When I had the stock bars and stock mirrors, I felt that they were mostly clear. However, I did notice that the mirrors would vibrate, go slightly fuzzy, at different RPMs, especially in the 3,000+ range. That is, each side would have its own resonant frequency: one side would be fuzzier at a certain RPM range, and the other side would be fuzzier at a different range.

Next, I put on aftermarket mirrors, Rivcos with LEDs. These were, again, mostly clear, but had slightly different characteristics, and were slightly less fuzzy when their resonant frequencies showed up.

Next, I put on HeliBars (last winter). So, I never had the HeliBars with stock mirrors. The Heli/Rivco combination is, for me, generally clear, but, again, will go into slightly fuzzy mode at different RPMs (which induce different resonant frequencies).

When I put the Helis on, I also put on Vibranator bar ends. I wanted black bar ends anyway, and decided to give those a shot.

After an email and a phone call or two to the owner, I ordered the ones for "All CBR; ALL Goldwings; VFR800; Blackbird; CB900F/919," i.e.:

http://www.vibranator.com/product_p/s05-b02-r04-n02-m01-t150-brt.htm

The picture on that page does not completely agree with the ones I got, because it shows a gold shaft, and the ones I got have a chrome-like shaft; see attache pic.

The Vibranators help, but not all that much. I actually took them off before one day trip last Spring, to see the difference. Riding with no bar ends was very slightly worse. But as I say: 1) for me, it's not that bad to begin with, and; 2) I have aftermarket mirrors, with better stalks.

BTW, I had Manic Salamander bar ends on my prior bike (Burgman 650), and liked them a lot. However, I bought those maybe seven years ago, and since then MS seems to have really decreased its selection of available styles.

Maybe the Vibranantor will work better if there's more of a problem to be addressed, as possibly will any of the heavier bar ends, such as those offered by MS. There's nothing really tricky about the Heli or stock ends -- they're just 1" bars, so any expanding-to-stay-in-place heavy bar ends should help. If you're still using the stock plastic end caps, well, I can't imagine that they'd help, so I'd try something heavy.

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well darn it. It appears it's a Heli bar thing because of the design. I am curious though...I have the black Rad Arlen ness mirrors on my bike. I wonder if I was to put the stock mirror back on if it would be different or better? I didn't have the stock mirrors on the Heli bars at all because I had changed out the mirrors while I still had the 2 inch pull back bars on. I never had the actual stock bars on at all because I had them changed out at the dealers to the pull backs thinking that would help with tthe reach issue. Unfortunately, it didn't. I need orangutan arms! Either way It seems there will always be some vibration from ya'lls experience. Thanks for all the input.

·
13,262 Posts
I looked and couldn't tell what size the Heli bars are. 1" or 1 1/4" what are they.
For your vibration how about going to a polyurethane bushings. Your stock rubber ones might be the problem. With bars getting taller that puts for flex on the stock rubber bushing.
If you sit on your bike it doesn't need to be running push on the bars. If you get any kind of movement I think your bushings are to soft.
This is just a sample of what I think you need
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Bikers-Choice-Urethane-Handlebar-Bushings/dp/B000GZPH48/ref=sr_1_40?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1423675874&sr=1-40&keywords=handlebar+bushing[/ame]

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I looked and couldn't tell what size the Heli bars are. 1" or 1 1/4" what are they.
For your vibration how about going to a polyurethane bushings. Your stock rubber ones might be the problem. With bars getting taller that puts for flex on the stock rubber bushing.
If you sit on your bike it doesn't need to be running push on the bars. If you get any kind of movement I think your bushings are to soft.
This is just a sample of what I think you need
http://www.amazon.com/Bikers-Choice-Urethane-Handlebar-Bushings/dp/B000GZPH48/ref=sr_1_40?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1423675874&sr=1-40&keywords=handlebar+bushing

VJ: If I understand correctly, the bushing you linked to are for handlebars that mount, um, using bushings. The handlebars -- stock or aftermarket -- on the Cross bikes, including the Cross Country & Tour -- mount solidly to the triple-tree clamps. No bushings.

Lluce: your tires okay, not scalloped? Engine smooth as the day it was born? You cruise under 3,000 RPM? Me, I cruise typically around 2700, 2800, RPM, unless it's a really fast interstate speed limit, or doing serious twisties (in which case, of course, I keep the RPMs up).

·
13,262 Posts
didn't know bars were or are solid mount. Sorry

·
Registered
361 Posts
You could try adding Bar Snakes if the blurring mirrors are bugging you. I have it in my old 99 V92C and it was in my '03 TCD. It does make a difference in the felt vibration and could possibly smooth out the mirrors-it can't hurt.
http://www.barsnake.com/

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
You could try adding Bar Snakes if the blurring mirrors are bugging you. I have it in my old 99 V92C and it was in my '03 TCD. It does make a difference in the felt vibration and could possibly smooth out the mirrors-it can't hurt.
http://www.barsnake.com/
I'm familiar with the Bar Snake from reading moto mags over the years, 'Net forums, etc. Sounds like a good product, but I don't see a way it could work with HeliBars. Those bars have one big U section, which is welded onto a couple of pivots; see pics. No way, IMHO, to get anything big inside, i.e., through the pivot mechanisms.

The tubes that hold the grips and switchgear are separate short pieces.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts