Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Cross Country with 40 thousand miles on it.

For the last couple of years I have noticed some vibration in the right grip and mirror mostly.

It seems to be getting slowly worse. The right mirror vibrates enough that the image is slightly fuzzy the left mirror does not.

When I am going down the road and I pull in the clutch all vibration disappears and the right mirror immediately clears up.

If I rev the engine while having the clutch in I can get the right mirror to go fuzzy with my revs and when I stop revving the mirrors cleans right up.

So I believe this is not a frame or wheel but a motor imbalance.

Any thoughts from anyone would be appreciated.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Its gotta be those WD exhaust tips causing that vibration. Take them off and send them to me.
Seriously, If you are keeping the revs above 2500 (3,000+ is better) and shifting at 3500+, I'd be looking at installing new spark plugs if you have over 10K miles on 'em. With that mileage, I'd replace the plug wires - Ma Vic is selling them cheap right now. If you've been riding in low revs, put some Seafoam in the tank and take 'er out and grab some 4500+ rpm shifts after the engine is fully warmed.
Let's start with the cheap and easy things first, eh?

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
For the other kind, a Panasonic personal vibrator with variable speed does the job nicely. :)

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Imbalanced?

I have a 2011 Cross Country with 40 thousand miles on it.

For the last couple of years I have noticed some vibration in the right grip and mirror mostly.

It seems to be getting slowly worse. The right mirror vibrates enough that the image is slightly fuzzy the left mirror does not.

When I am going down the road and I pull in the clutch all vibration disappears and the right mirror immediately clears up.

If I rev the engine while having the clutch in I can get the right mirror to go fuzzy with my revs and when I stop revving the mirrors cleans right up.

So I believe this is not a frame or wheel but a motor imbalance.

Any thoughts from anyone would be appreciated.
Seems to me that if the left mirror doesn't vibrate the cause can't be the engine. I would think that there is something loose on the right side allowing the mirror to vibrate.

Dwayne

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
Seems to me that if the left mirror doesn't vibrate the cause can't be the engine. I would think that there is something loose on the right side allowing the mirror to vibrate.

Dwayne
That could be a simple difference in resonant frequencies. The right handlebar is heavier than the left because of the hydraulic system for the brakes, while the left is just a clutch cable. The right mirror also sits higher than the left for this same reason.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Please read the original post again. When I coast and pull in clutch the vibe immediately GOES AWAY. If I rev the motor while coasting the vibration will come back with the revs. So I think it must be something within the motor and it is gradually getting worse. I can be at speed and watch the right mirror get fuzzy then pull in the clutch and it immediately goes away. If I rev while coasting it will get fuzzy and stop when I stop revving. In other words the vibration is in sync with the motor.
Hope I am explaining this correctly.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Or maybe the belt. Could be stretched unevenly or needs adjusting. Just guessing.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gamewarden

I was hoping for some thoughts on why would the vibration be getting progressively worse. Worn motor balancers????????

As from the original post it seems something in the engine is unbalanced slightly. When I coast the vibration immediately disappears and comes back only when I rev the motor while coasting so it has to be the motor producing it.

Kevin, Kyle Rylan anybody?????

·
Premium Member
13,643 Posts
This may be a difficult one to figure out without actually opening up the motor but a couple of things come to mind.

The first and easiest to rule out would be something in the clutch basket and primary in general. With luck; that's where the issue will be.

After that I'd be thinking a gear in the trans. The only other thing that spins is the flywheel and I doubt that would be the issue but anything is possible.

You probably should contact Rylan or Kevin directly on this puzzler.

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
Did you change anything with regards to the tune? Different mufflers or air filter perhaps? I see your sig says you have Stage 1. Different tunes will cause the motor to run differently and create different vibration patterns...

·
Premium Member
13,643 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention the most obvious cause, the motor mounts. Make sure they are all good and tight like they should be.

There are frame connections that need to be torqued up too. The backbone under the tank come to mind.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No changes stage one has be on since 2011. Have to buy 2 new tires so maybe one is out of balance but it does no vibrate when coasting so I don't think that will be it. It is not that bad but sometimes irritating maybe bike is just getting older as am I. Thanks for all the suggestions . I will try new wires etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts