Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody use the Vibranator handlebar anti-vibration device
Vibranator.com
Will they work with the Avon heated grips?

·
Premium Member
8,832 Posts
No.... I just shake and fist my right hand occasionally to restore circulation, as my right hand has an old drinking injury (another story)

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
I have them and they work with my stock heated grips. The unit goes into the end of the handlebar just like the end cap. Give them a call as they are familiar with Victory bikes.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Anybody use the Vibranator handlebar anti-vibration device
Vibranator.com
Will they work with the Avon heated grips?
I've had Vibranators on for two seasons now. I put them on when I was installing my HeliBars. More important than vibration reduction, I wanted bar ends that were black (to match the handlebars) and classy looking.

After a couple of emails to the vendor, this is the model I bought:

All CBR; ALL Goldwings; VFR800; Blackbird; CB900F/919

(And, yes, that picture shows gold-colored guts, while the ones I received have silver insides. See the pic below.)

In that spring of '14, I did do a test ride (maybe half an hour, as I recall) without any bar ends installed. And then another ride, with the Vibranators put back on. There was not a dramatic difference, but, yes, they did help. OTOH, I do not have a lot of vibration to begin with (except, of course, when the throttle is WFO, in which case nothing will dampen a big twin, and you generally don't care when you're doing that).

On my Burgman 650, I had Manic Salamander bar ends, which were also nice looking and fairly heavy. But those don't have any trick stuff inside -- just bar ends.

Perhaps the heaviest bar end weights are made by HVMP: HVMP Motorcycle Bar Ends to Reduce Vibrations . The editor of webBikeWorld wrote an article recently on bar ends, and those were mentioned there: Handlebar End Weights - webBikeWorld . However, I'm not sure whether they have some that will fit.

Speaking of fitting, I'm not familiar with Avon heated grips. It seems to me, however, that if there's no wiring or anything else actually inside the handlebars, you shouldn't have a problem.

Another possible plan of attack would be to get Grip Puppies or something similar. I don't have these on my XCT, but I did have them on the Big Burger (mostly because those 7/8" bars and grips were too small for my hands). And I've read that heat will be transferred through them (but then they'd cover nice looking grips).

And yet another possible solution would be to get gloves that handle vibration better. I have a few pairs of Qwi gloves, for instance; see Qwi Gloves For Hand Pain & Numbness: Qwi Motorcycle Gloves and Qwi Motorcycle Gloves For Hand Pain & Numbness: Buy Here . I have the insulated ones for cooler weather, and I even use one of their trucker models (no protection for riding) for mowing the lawn. They tend to run small, so be careful about the sizing if you decide to buy any of these.

Last, I was thinking about our prior ride yesterday. I had to turn in some plates to DMV, so I rode to the office in Margaretville. Once I got in your neck of the woods, it gave me about 50 miles of riding south on Rt. 30. Always a nice road, and the foliage was starting to look pretty good.

Attachments

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback Bill, I read your handlebar review on line. I didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling about the vibranators. The right grip is giving me fits from 2100 rpm to 3000 rpm. I have some solid brass rod stock that I may make my own bar weights out of and then slap on some Avon grips.
On another note the southern tier should be a perfect ride now. I might have to take a trip to Auburn this week but I'm not sure if it will be by car or bike, if the weather is nice when I get the call you can be sure the Vic will get a workout. Next week I head down to Lloyds for a dyno tune. 👍🏼
Kerr

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Bill, I read your handlebar review on line. I didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling about the vibranators. The right grip is giving me fits from 2100 rpm to 3000 rpm. I have some solid brass rod stock that I may make my own bar weights out of and then slap on some Avon grips.
On another note the southern tier should be a perfect ride now. I might have to take a trip to Auburn this week but I'm not sure if it will be by car or bike, if the weather is nice when I get the call you can be sure the Vic will get a workout. Next week I head down to Lloyds for a dyno tune. 👍🏼
Kerr
With the Vibranators, I get some vibes at about 2900 - 3100, both sides. It's not really objectionable to me. It's just that at that range, I can notice that the mirrors aren't crystal clear, as they are at lower RPMs. I tend to cruise a couple hundred RPMs below that, and doing high-RPM twisties, I'm paying attention to the road.

OTOH, this whole thing is complicated because I have aftermarket bars and aftermarket mirrors. I recall that with stock bars and stock mirrors, the two sides would get a little fuzzy, each side having a different set of resonant frequencies.

Maybe the whole thing doesn't bother me that much because of different gloves.

If this is really a problem -- and I gather it is -- I'd suggest emailing HVMP, and asking if they have some super-heavyweights that fit the inside of 1" bars.

I'm planning on riding somewhere -- anywhere -- Monday afternoon (have a commitment in the morning). Supposed to be a nice day, maybe one of the last. Maybe I'll take 30 the other way, up north.

·
Registered
415 Posts
While reading this thread I became confused as to what the definition of vibration is. Apparently those that feel they have a vibration problem have never ridden a Triumph Bonneville from AZ to Canada and back.

I checked out the link and I think that we have a solution looking for a problem.

·
Premium Member
8,832 Posts
While reading this thread I became confused as to what the definition of vibration is. Apparently those that feel they have a vibration problem have never ridden a Triumph Bonneville from AZ to Canada and back.

I checked out the link and I think that we have a solution looking for a problem.
or an old XS650 from Brisbane to Bathurst and back (or any longer than two miles for that matter)

·
Premium Member
8,832 Posts
Ahhh an XS650, Japan's response to Triumph and Norton. Not as fast but a damn sight more reliable.

I miss those day but my body doesn't.
Every bit as fast if not faster, ..as long as there were no corners involved...
I've owned XS1B, XS2, XS650B, TX650, XS650SF.
Some with 750 kits, pumper carbs, electronic ignition.
Got 3 "Ratbike" trophies on the shelf for my last one the TX650, that I sold along with my Kwaka GPZ900, to buy the Victory for cash.
I'd buy another 650 Yam tomorrow if one came up at the right price.
Bloke I sold it to rephased the crank so the pistons rise and fall alternatlely not as a pair as with Trumpies and Nortons, which is where the heavy vibrations emanate from.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts