Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
It should be somewhere around $200. The Potomac Victory Riders are having a meeting there Saturday morning at 11. Stop by and you can get the answer straight from the horses mouth. The website is http://www.pvrmc.org/

***UPDATE*** I received an e-mail stating that the meeting has been postponed due to hurricane Irene. More info will be posted on the website.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is still on the 350 mile mark. Thanks for the invite. Would live to meet up and ride with group sometime in the future. This weekend is a bust with Irene coming at us. Check ya later,ace.

·
Registered
211 Posts
about $60. If you do it yourself. It's easy.:D

·
Registered
329 Posts
about $60. If you do it yourself. It's easy.:D
Yeah, and even that is ridiculous for just freakin oil and a filter! But definitely much cheaper to just do it yourself. thumb up

·
Registered
851 Posts
Not to stir things up again...wac
But the manual states to have the first service done by a dealer. I am NOT saying it HAS to be done by the dealer; only pointing out what is stated in the owners manual. Personally I had the dealer perform the first service so I didn't have to worry about possbily fighting with the mother ship if I ever needed warranty work in the future. But I can be a worry wart about somethings thumb up

Here are two threads that talk about it (one from TheVOG.net so I hope I am not breaking any rules posting it here :rolleyes: )

http://www.thevog.net/forum/general-discussion-2-30/break-in-maintenance-2/page_1/

http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=6694

·
Registered
396 Posts
just be glad you passed on a harley.
guy i know just had his first service
done on his ultra glide,$400.00.
almost fell out of my chair.:crzy:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Not to stir things up again...wac
But the manual states to have the first service done by a dealer. I am NOT saying it HAS to be done by the dealer; only pointing out what is stated in the owners manual. Personally I had the dealer perform the first service so I didn't have to worry about possbily fighting with the mother ship if I ever needed warranty work in the future. But I can be a worry wart about somethings thumb up

Here are two threads that talk about it (one from TheVOG.net so I hope I am not breaking any rules posting it here :rolleyes: )

http://www.thevog.net/forum/general-discussion-2-30/break-in-maintenance-2/page_1/

http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=6694
I realized that the manual states that you should take the bike to the dealership but simply I trust myself more than I trust the techs at the locar dealer. Servicing the bike myself is a part of me getting to know my new bike for me. And I also know that Victory can't void my warrenty as long as the work was done properly. But I totally understand that most people feel more comfortable taking their bikes to the dealer and that is fine. Obviously if I ever have to fight Ma Vic with warrenty work it may be more of a hassle for me.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Get your $'s worth

I recommend taking it to the dealer too. They don't just change your oil. The 500 mile service is when the dealer goes over the bike to make sure the wheels are tracking correctly and the belt is not wearing prematurely. They also check your brakes and top off the fluid if needed. They go overall the nuts, bolts and fittings to make sure they are still tight. It was well worth the $60 my dealer charged me.

·
Registered
229 Posts
In Lincoln, Nebraska the 500 service is almost $500.
Holy crap! Did you get new tires or a fuel controller or something? If not, you have something to discuss with your dealer. :crzy:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Federal law states that a manufacturer has to give you the maintenance for free if they require that it be done by the dealer. In your manual, it tells you everything to check and services to perform at your 500 mile service. If you document your checklist and document the results of things such as the compression test etc, do everything properly, and keep receipts for the parts, there's no way in hell Victory could void your warranty because you did it yourself. I bet the dealers don't even check the compression during the service, or half of the other stuff. I can almost guarantee that I got a MUCH thourough service by doing it myself. Plus saved a bunch of cash. I've had my bike to the dealer since my 500 mile service, when asked if it had been done, I said I did it myself, and they didn't even bat an eye.

·
Registered
22 Posts
500 mile service

I bought a service contract when I purchased my Vegas 8Ball from Mountain Motorsports in Conyers, Ga. The first 6 services are covered. The first service charges were 142.00.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I bought a service contract when I purchased my Vegas 8Ball from Mountain Motorsports in Conyers, Ga. The first 6 services are covered. The first service charges were 142.00.
wow i bought mine there too but i didnt get the service contract. when i called to get a price for the 500 service they said $250. i ended up doing it myself but that is very interesting that when they pay for it its 142 when you pay for it its 250.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I recommend taking it to the dealer too. They don't just change your oil. The 500 mile service is when the dealer goes over the bike to make sure the wheels are tracking correctly and the belt is not wearing prematurely. They also check your brakes and top off the fluid if needed. They go overall the nuts, bolts and fittings to make sure they are still tight. It was well worth the $60 my dealer charged me.
Wow, $60 isn't even the hourly rate at the dealer I got mine from. You must have one hell of a hook up, lol. Mine wanted $250 for the first service, that included a $25 discount coupon. Not worth the 45 min ride down there, the 3-4 hour wait and the 45 min ride back. Plus they just started carrying Vics and I'm not confident they are familiar with the bikes yet. I did mine myself, including taking pictures of the oil as it came out of the bike. Total cost was right at $60 for filter and oil. Went over all the usuals myself and nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I realized that the manual states that you should take the bike to the dealership but simply I trust myself more than I trust the techs at the locar dealer. Servicing the bike myself is a part of me getting to know my new bike for me. And I also know that Victory can't void my warrenty as long as the work was done properly. But I totally understand that most people feel more comfortable taking their bikes to the dealer and that is fine. Obviously if I ever have to fight Ma Vic with warrenty work it may be more of a hassle for me.
I definitely have to agree. When I got mine back from my first service I had asked them to check the rear wheel alignment. They did. It was worse when I got it back than when I took it in. I also noticed that they used gun grease to lube the oil filter gasket. The last time I checked gun grease will not dissolve in engine oil, so it plugs up the oil filter.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I definitely have to agree. When I got mine back from my first service I had asked them to check the rear wheel alignment. They did. It was worse when I got it back than when I took it in. I also noticed that they used gun grease to lube the oil filter gasket. The last time I checked gun grease will not dissolve in engine oil, so it plugs up the oil filter.
Think I'd be looking for another dealer. If they mess up like that on a simple oil change I can't imagine what they could mess up if you need to have more extensive warranty work done :eek:

BTW, I'd also report them to the mother ship. Dealers are rated and I wouldn't want them representing Victory. Other riders might judge all Victory dealers from a bad experience with one.

·
13,083 Posts
It really makes me MAD an MADDER:mad:
You buy a motorcycle for thousands of your hard earned dollars and now you have to go back to the dealer at 500 or a 1000 miles and pay him to make sure the factory built the bike correct.
Whats with that :confused:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts