Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure if ya'll can see all the details with the document being resized. Came back abnormal and close to critical. There was 4,329 miles on this oil. The Viscosity did break down BUT it wasn't the oil's fault. Notice the orange color, 3.7% fuel contamination! Holy crap! Also the Nickel traces were in the normal range but barely. Comments suggest possible valves, stems or guides as the culprit. Silicon was in the normal range but like the Nickel...barely. The butt load of fuel in my oil is a pretty clear indication of a fuel leak...now that I think about it, I've had hard starts in the morning where it cranks and cranks and cranks then finally catches but smells of fuel. Thought it could be due to the harsh cold I been riding in but now the light bulb comes on.

This analysis scares me so I took my bike to the dealer within a couple hours of seeing this report. I handed them a copy of the results and they'll go through the bike.

Folks, this is why oil analysis can be $ well spent.

analyisreize.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
Not sure if ya'll can see all the details with the document being resized. Came back abnormal and close to critical. There was 4,329 miles on this oil. The Viscosity did break down BUT it wasn't the oil's fault. Notice the orange color, 3.7% fuel contamination! Holy crap! Also the Nickel traces were in the normal range but barely. Comments suggest possible valves, stems or guides as the culprit. Silicon was in the normal range but like the Nickel...barely. The butt load of fuel in my oil is a pretty clear indication of a fuel leak...now that I think about it, I've had hard starts in the morning where it cranks and cranks and cranks then finally catches but smells of fuel. Thought it could be due to the harsh cold I been riding in but now the light bulb comes on.

This analysis scares me so I took my bike to the dealer within a couple hours of seeing this report. I handed them a copy of the results and they'll go through the bike.

Folks, this is why oil analysis can be $ well spent.

View attachment 11866
I had high fuel because of a bad throttle positioning sensor.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I had high fuel because of a bad throttle positioning sensor.
I don't think you can get fuel in your OIL from a bad throttle sensor, can you? You may get poor fuel economy but fuel getting into the oil itself would seem to be indicative of other malady's (like piston or value seals, right? Vindex did the right thing taking it to his dealer for review of the engine itself.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That would be my guess as well. Like I mentioned earlier, sometimes when its cold (first start) it would crank and crank then finally start. I'd smell fuel. I've also noticed black smoke on start up. Not sure what's normal and what's not. On a car, that's a sure sign fuel is sitting in your cylinders and 9 times out of 10 it's the fuel injector leaking down.

·
Registered
580 Posts
That would be my guess as well. Like I mentioned earlier, sometimes when its cold (first start) it would crank and crank then finally start. I'd smell fuel. I've also noticed black smoke on start up. Not sure what's normal and what's not. On a car, that's a sure sign fuel is sitting in your cylinders and 9 times out of 10 it's the fuel injector leaking down.
A compression or leakdown test would help with diagnostics. It would also tell you if any damage has been done to the cylinder walls.

You mention Nickel from your analysis. Does any one know if the cylinders are Nicasiled?

m

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A compression or leakdown test would help with diagnostics. It would also tell you if any damage has been done to the cylinder walls.

You mention Nickel from your analysis. Does any one know if the cylinders are Nicasiled?

m
Yeah, my dealer's tech had that thought going through his head too. He said they'll do compression tests on it when they're going through the bike.

I'm a little bit down over this. One because my bike is at the dealer again and I'm not going to be able to ride it today. The other, I just past 5,000 miles and I've had the cruise control module replaced under warranty (they redesigned it to be completely water proof and I have the new version now), the rear pulley replaced under warranty (all good now), and now this...whatever this turns out to be. 5,000 miles! It's bull! With all my goodies, I'm near 20k in this bike. I'm very disappointed with the trouble I'm having thus far and I hope this will be my last issue for a LONG time.

I still love my Pin and I still believe I have the badest cruiser on the road not to mention the best looking cruiser thumb up

Don't nobody get me wrong. I'm in love with my bike and I do not regret my purchase. If I had to do it over again, I'd buy the exact same thing. I just wanna ride...trouble free.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also want to add to my previous post that my local dealer has and is treating me very well. They still greet me with a smile and are eager to resolve the issues I have. That really helps a lot when you have a good dealer that will take care of your bike. I've not had to ask for anything to be repaired under warranty...not once. I tell them I have a problem, they tell me to bring it in and they'll fix it. When the bike is ready they call me and tell me it's all covered under warranty. Taking care of issues couldn't be handled any smoother.

·
13,236 Posts
You say it starts hard.
So how many times do you twist the throttle before you push the button?
You don't twist the throttle to start the bike. Thats a NO NO

Have your dealer check your IAV and the ECM you might half to leave it over night so its cold when they start it

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You say it starts hard.
So how many times do you twist the throttle before you push the button?
You don't twist the throttle to start the bike. Thats a NO NO

Have your dealer check your IAV and the ECM you might half to leave it over night so its cold when they start it
I dropped it off yesterday, it's been over night and will probably be over weekend too.

:ltr: twist the throttle? Where'd you get that from? Giving throttle prior to start is a carbureted thing. I was well aware that this is a fuel injected bike prior to buying. The fact that this is computer controlled means I don't have to do anything other than push the button. The computer will make adjustments for me but thanks for the tip thumb up

Honestly, I'm not going to tell the dealer to check anything. I'm sure they're capable of figuring everything out on their own. When I worked as a technician for an automotive shop, nothing bothered me more than having a customer tell me what to check. They brought their car to ME for a reason. I take that back, that was the 2nd to the worst thing, the worst was customers telling me "no the car never got hot, it just started running bad." Then I find warped heads, steam washed cylinders and melted plastic. As if I'd never find the evidence.

Never tell a mechanic you take your vehicle to how to fix something and never lie to them about the symptoms, the vehicle will tell the story anyway, no point in trying to hide something.

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
When my TPS was bad it was running rich everywhere not just at startup.
Good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
sorry to hear about your trouble, but it's good to be informed about these things. I am sure like the rest of you I will be keeping a close eye on my motor as well. Good luck and let us all know how this turns out.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
If I had to do it over again, I'd buy the exact same thing. I just wanna ride...trouble free.
That's easy. Just buy a Lloyd's air-filter and a case of Amsoil and you'll have the fastest, most reliable machine known to man or razorback.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's easy. Just buy a Lloyd's air-filter and a case of Amsoil and you'll have the fastest, most reliable machine known to man or razorback.
wooooo pig sooie! thumb up

·
Registered
827 Posts
I also want to add to my previous post that my local dealer has and is treating me very well. They still greet me with a smile and are eager to resolve the issues I have. That really helps a lot when you have a good dealer that will take care of your bike. I've not had to ask for anything to be repaired under warranty...not once. I tell them I have a problem, they tell me to bring it in and they'll fix it. When the bike is ready they call me and tell me it's all covered under warranty. Taking care of issues couldn't be handled any smoother.
So Rebel
Who is your "local dealer"?
It's nice to Give praise to those that deserve it. Plus, if someone was traveling it would be nice to know where to go.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So Rebel
Who is your "local dealer"?
It's nice to Give praise to those that deserve it. Plus, if someone was traveling it would be nice to know where to go.
You're right. I've posted about them in a few other threads...one was a dealer thread.

Freedom Powersports in Rogers, Arkansas (Northwest Arkansas) is my local dealer. They're about 30-40 minutes ride north of where I live depending on how much throttle you give her. :D Not only do they take REAL GOOD care of my bike when I need some work done. I've not found anybody on this forum that gets as good of deals on new bikes as what my dealer gives. There may be some out there but I've not heard of any yet. Everybody talks about this fee or that fee. I'm scratching my head :confused: what fee? I didn't realize there were ANY fees at all when buying a new Vic. Price agreed on for the bike is it, there are no other fees. When you buy a part, it comes with free installation right? It does at my dealer, there are no labor charges when you buy add ons.

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
Good to hear the positive thanks for posting.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts