Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've been thinking more and more about getting a Vic for a second bike. However, I read that the paint doesn't hold up and that they actually use a single stage base/clear on the paint instead of an actual clear.

Is that true? If so, it's almost a deal breaker for me. I can't imagine why they would when every other major manufacturer uses a 2 stage paint

thanks

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Hey guys,

I've been thinking more and more about getting a Vic for a second bike. However, I read that the paint doesn't hold up and that they actually use a single stage base/clear on the paint instead of an actual clear.

Is that true? If so, it's almost a deal breaker for me. I can't imagine why they would when every other major manufacturer uses a 2 stage paint

thanks
Looking at the painted surfaces, I'm doubtful that it's a single stage.

That said though, there are a variety of clear coat products and some are just not as hard as others and of lesser quality.

There is an easy way to tell if it's clear coated. Take a piece of oh... 1200 or more wet-or-dry sandpaper and get it wet and do just a very little sanding on an inconspicuous location... if the residue is white or milky, then it's clearcoated. Of course, this might not help much on a white bike.

Afterwards you can polish the sanded area back to a shine.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I got the info over on another well known Vic forum

Looks like they're all single stage except for the Ness bikes
Regardless, single or 2 stage, if it's good paint, it will stand up and not be susceptible to marring so easily. I've painted numerous vehicles including motorcycles and not had issues such as are reported on the Vics.

I am going to be the guinea pig and check this out with the sandpaper. I'll get back atcha on it when I do.

In any event, any minor surface "marring" can be easily polished out. It's important to do a good wax job on a new bike / car, etc to provide that extra layer of protection.

·
Registered
450 Posts

Yeah, I read that too. I keep hearing how crappy the Vic paint is but I ain't seeing it. My XC is 1 year old next month with 9772 miles on it. At home, it is parked under an awning roof off the side of my workshop without a cover on the bike itself. At work, it sits uncovered in the sun at the busiest heliport in the US. I have not done a thorough wax job on it yet and it still shines brite with no scratches showing. I wash it every 2-3 weeks with a bucket of soapy water, soft cloth, and a water hose. Oh, mine is Imperial Blue so it's not like its a real light color that won't show scratches.

Don't let a bunch of guys on the Internet break a deal for you. Check out the bikes for yourself. If there are Vic's in your AO, get with the owners and see how they are holding up. Single stage done right is just fine according to a painter I know. Yes, 2 stage is better, but according to this guy, you will really have to pay for real good 2 stage nowadays due to changes in paint mandated by the EPA. I don't know how accurate this info is. Just relaying what I was told by someone that "should" know.

·
Registered
207 Posts
If it is a single stage I would be very surprised, looking at the models on the dealer floor I don't see anything that would leave be to believe they are single stage. I got a hardball and no issues with my matte black so far it will be a year old next month with 7k miles on her.

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
I got the info over on another well known Vic forum.
Of course you can believe everything that's posted on a forum. Wanna buy a bridge? I have an overstock sale going on while they last.
Why would the paint be a problem? Are you gonna park it outside all the time? I've been on this forum since late '09 and can not remember a serious paint complaint.
Lastly, why pass up a bike you otherwise admire, just because of something someone said about the paint that more than likely is not true.:confused:

·
Registered
136 Posts

I have painted quite a few inner fairings and chin spoilers using victorys paint directly from midwest coatings. ( They supply Victory their paint)

The paint is NOT single stage! It is a BC/CC just like 99% of all automotive finishes anymore. The reason some people are unhappy with the paint is due to the clear they use. It seems to be alittle softer then most clear and marks easily. From what i have seen though its mostly just the black model vic guys who are unhappy. Black shows EVERYTHING! I have painted plenty of vivid black harleys and let me tell you black is one tough color to keep scratch free.

Ness bikes use the same paint as the normal XC. The vic paint from midwest coating comes pre reduced and comes with a activator you mix it 8:1 and is a acrylic urethane paint. I use either House of Kolor UC35 clear or PPG Deltron DC 4010 to top coat it with. Both of these clears dry much harder then the stock clear so they seem much more scratch resistant then the stock clear.

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
I have painted quite a few inner fairings and chin spoilers using victorys paint directly from midwest coatings. ( They supply Victory their paint)

The paint is NOT single stage! It is a BC/CC just like 99% of all automotive finishes anymore. The reason some people are unhappy with the paint is due to the clear they use. It seems to be alittle softer then most clear and marks easily. From what i have seen though its mostly just the black model vic guys who are unhappy. Black shows EVERYTHING! I have painted plenty of vivid black harleys and let me tell you black is one tough color to keep scratch free.

Ness bikes use the same paint as the normal XC. The vic paint from midwest coating comes pre reduced and comes with a activator you mix it 8:1 and is a acrylic urethane paint. I use either House of Kolor UC35 clear or PPG Deltron DC 4010 to top coat it with. Both of these clears dry much harder then the stock clear so they seem much more scratch resistant then the stock clear.

Now you've gone and done it. You state facts, logic and common sense into an irrational complaint from a few on paint.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I must concur with Chicago Mark, Thank you:clap:

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Hey guys,

thanks
C'mon now, Don't use the paint as an excuse to not get the Vic as your second bike when you know you will most likely make it your first bike! :ltr: Ride one and you'll own one thumb up

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
I can't imagine choosing a lesser bike -- less reliable, less comfortable, less performance, more expensive, etc. -- over a Vic because the Vic's paint quality isn't as good.

Buy the better bike. When/if the paint job goes bad, have it painted to your liking.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Hey guys,

thanks
Well, I guess you've got your answer by now.

I've seen similar posts both here and on other forums including for other MC brands and it strikes me as the person is looking for "any excuse" not to make the purchase ... like talking themselves out of it somehow.

Geeesh ... weigh the positives against the negatives. So many positives surely outweigh one negative????

... or are there more negatives not mentioned? such as SWMBO has to be convinced? .. or?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Now you've gone and done it. You state facts, logic and common sense into an irrational complaint from a few on paint.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
What he said!

My 15 year old daughter accuses me of defeating her emotions with facts. She's not quite a normal 15 year old girl though, she wants the facts so she can do what "is" right instead of what "feels" right. Sorry, just had to brag about my girl a little

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
My only complaint with my Vic paint is that I can't get the color from Polaris anymore. Outside of that, it seems to resist normal chipping, scratching, and abrading just as well as the 3 metric bikes I owned before it.

·
Registered
774 Posts

Trvs, Amen you are correct. Also the graphics, flames, watever, are stickers with the clear over them built up to level the clear.
Heres one that went from gold to candy red with the best clear possible.thumb up

·
Registered
136 Posts
My only complaint with my Vic paint is that I can't get the color from Polaris anymore. Outside of that, it seems to resist normal chipping, scratching, and abrading just as well as the 3 metric bikes I owned before it.
What color is it you can no longer get? I have a book with all the vic paint codes in it and bet it can be bought from midwest coatings. If not, a paint shop should be able to match it no problem. Tri stage stuff is alittle tuff sometimes but a good painter should be able to no problem. I have used the factory sunset red paint and also have matched the sunset red with PPG paint, but it was a tri stage using a black base and a red candy with metallic in it to match. The factory paint is much easier process and yeilds the same results.
Let me know what color and i will get you a code if i have it.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
What color is it you can no longer get? I have a book with all the vic paint codes in it and bet it can be bought from midwest coatings. If not, a paint shop should be able to match it no problem. Tri stage stuff is alittle tuff sometimes but a good painter should be able to no problem. I have used the factory sunset red paint and also have matched the sunset red with PPG paint, but it was a tri stage using a black base and a red candy with metallic in it to match. The factory paint is much easier process and yeilds the same results.
Let me know what color and i will get you a code if i have it.
Mine's crimson red from the early 2011 model year. What I read in this thread brought me to the conclusion that the exact paint is no longer available.

http://www.victoryforums.com/archive/index.php/t-26738.html

It's a few posts down since the thread started as something other than a discussion about the apparently rare 2011 Crimson Red XR

If you have part numbers, I'll call them and give it a shot, because I'd like to paint my chin fairing, and an leery to try to get it matched.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts