Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 2012 XC with 70K miles on it. This weekend, riding in 100 degree weather, 200 miles. Shortly thereafter, got back on bike, rear tire was flat. After a long and expensive story about getting it to an open shop on a Sunday, turns out that the tire leaked from between the bead and the rim. Tire was a Dunlop Elite 4 with 1,500 miles on it.
Any opinions/ideas about this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, when I looked at the bead, it looked like it had tiny pieces of rubber randomly distributed on its surface. Then in your estimation, this was not likely an issue with the tire, but with the mounting of the tire? Thanks, Will

·
Registered
742 Posts
the tire leaked from between the bead and the rim - a Dunlop Elite 4 with 1,500 miles on it.
Wow, 1500 miles and it left pieces of itself married to the rim? It makes me wonder too if those shreds weren't there from some previous, very old, tire that had dried out and disintegrated so bad it glued itself to the rim and the last tire guy just said fuckit, it ain't my bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That gunk might have been there from before, but not because the tire was very old and dried out. I ride 10K to 12K miles per year and get about the same distance out of the tires, so they're changed every year. But yea, I think that the guy who mounted the Dunlop did not do any prep on the rim. The new tire was mounted onto a cleaned rim.

·
13,033 Posts
Have to ask you change the tire every year but how often do you check the air. Hope you don't use the vic air gauge cause there junk. Most of us get a good 15K out of a rear tire if not more

1 - 6 of 6 Posts